BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    I think I'm failing to see the distinction between a remake and a re-imagining. All films reflect the time at which they are made and a are different to theoriginals.
    So a remake does take the core and build fresh around it.

It's always gonna be a new directors choices and a production designers imagination.

p.s new BSG was chuffing awesome!
    Well they way I see it is for the BSG example they've completely changed the program, it's now a human drama set in a war of extermination as opposed to the original where I seem to remember more combat and less drama.

A remake might have just done the original episodes with new actors and technology but essentially the identical thing.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Well they way I see it is for the BSG example they've completely changed the program, it's now a human drama set in a war of extermination as opposed to the original where I seem to remember more combat and less drama.

A remake might have just done the original episodes with new actors and technology but essentially the identical thing.
    Yup and for instance, Robocop (2014) follows much the same vein. Rather than a hyper-violent, CGI laden gorefest attempting to upstage the original in shock factor, they've taken the bare bones and the odd bit of meat from the original, and transplanted it into a modern setting, and explore new paranoias that have emerged since the original was made.

Note the corporate side of Robocop 2014 is far more downplayed, and instead the plot focuses on the concept of freedom of choice, and how much we actually have.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Yup and for instance, Robocop (2014) follows much the same vein. Rather than a hyper-violent, CGI laden gorefest attempting to upstage the original in shock factor, they've taken the bare bones and the odd bit of meat from the original, and transplanted it into a modern setting, and explore new paranoias that have emerged since the original was made.

Note the corporate side of Robocop 2014 is far more downplayed, and instead the plot focuses on the concept of freedom of choice, and how much we actually have.
    Cool
    If we take this as correct, then the creative and collaborative nature of film/T.V and the way in which they reflect the society in which they were created, means they should always be sufficiently different from the original to constitute your label of a 're-imagining'

I put forward that it is impossible to have a 'remake'. Their can only ever be a 're-imagining'.

I'm o.k with that

Yeah, pretty much.

There have been outright remakes though. Psycho was redone exactly shot-for-shot, which lead to lots of people scratching their heads and asking 'well, why don't I just go see the original?'
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

I didn't know that. A shot for shot remake is absolutely pointless :/
    Why waste the time and money?

Occuli Imperator

I saw the original with a live orchestra, which was awesome.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post

Honestly, we could do with more corporate fiction like the old robocop. Maybe then people would pay more attention

Monsanto, bayer, theTTP or causing the GFC anyone?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Monsanto, bayer, theTTP or causing the GFC anyone?
    ?
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

GFC = Great Financial Crash, I'm guessing.

And dude has a point. The more we dig here in Britain, the worse it gets. Have a look into LIBOR....

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

yeah I'm talking about some of the most well known actions by companies and how they are basically behaving like the old "corporate government" stereotype we see in old films and literature.

Its not just paranoia anymore, there really is a push by the corporate world to turn us into an oligarchy.

they've always had more practical rights than individuals (I mean their actions might be illegal but whose going to foot the bill to take them to court?) and frankly, governmental responses to these actions in the last decade has only managed to convince various companies that they can largely do what they want with little to no oversight and no repercussions,
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast