BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Orks in another starter?

Hi y'all,
    Just wondering what your thoughts were about Orks being in Stormclaw. I'm sure you've seen buzz about this being the new starter set for 7th edition. If this is the case, this will be their third appearance in a 40k starter set (way back in 2nd and just two editions back in 5th edition). I'm guessing this decision was influenced by the recent Ork releases, Sanctus Reach and a Space Wolves update.
    But does anyone know if Stromclaw will be sold as a starter set (with mini rule book and other accessories) or as a kind of companion/battle set (just models and Sanctus Reach missions)?
    Any other thoughts about the set are welcome as well

Orks are a strong IP because of the Tolkein connection. Orks have always basically been the other 'top tier' army in marketing terms (not game terms) largely because the word is so recognisable, and they counterpoint Marines so well thematically, because they're obviously 'baddies' when compared to the Space Wolf 'goodies'. It's a simple Face vs. Heel set, and it pushes the new products.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Orks are also Orks, and therefore totally awesome.

They are to 40k as Skaven are to Warhammer - essential for setting out the stall in terms of the setting. 40k wouldn't be 40k without the Orks!

Plus, dynamics wise, being a horde of lightly armoured cheap troops works nicely alongside the nature of Marines. Both in one box shows off most of the core mechanics and playstyles 40k has to offer. Which is why I found DV slightly odd in that regard. Gorgeous models, but Marine on Marine isn't the best way to sell the variety 40k has to offer
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I have absolutely no problem with this. I loved Black Reach; for the price of three metal Deffkoptas, you got three plastic Deffkoptas, plus five Nobz and twenty Boyz. I bought many.

You also got a Warboss, but you couldn't make use of more than two back in the day. Also a bunch of beakies, but who gives a zog?

Occuli Imperator

Orks are also very simple to explain.

Space Marines are the "good guys" i.e. super humans.

Orks are brutish savages who just live for a fight.

Now once you are into the game and fluff you realise that everything is not so clear cut, but it makes it easier to explain why they are at war (as one is literally alien) than the theological overtures of chaos v imperium fights.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Brother-Captain

Seems a good way of getting people into the game. A lot of people like Orks, even if like myself they don't play them. They're kind of hard not to like.

I just wish they would release the plastic Black Reach Deffkoptas as a box. Seems daft to work on new models then revert to only selling the crappy old ones.

Occuli Imperator

Also, in terms of aliens "Orks" are quite straightforward to get into, there are orcs in mythology and thanks to LoTR:films they are more "mainstream".

Whereas nids require an alien connection and they are still 18s.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Bear73 View Post
    Hi y'all,
    Just wondering what your thoughts were about Orks being in Stormclaw. I'm sure you've seen buzz about this being the new starter set for 7th edition. If this is the case, this will be their third appearance in a 40k starter set (way back in 2nd and just two editions back in 5th edition). I'm guessing this decision was influenced by the recent Ork releases, Sanctus Reach and a Space Wolves update.
    But does anyone know if Stromclaw will be sold as a starter set (with mini rule book and other accessories) or as a kind of companion/battle set (just models and Sanctus Reach missions)?
    Any other thoughts about the set are welcome as well
    I hope it's a starter set, but even if it's just a campaign set I'll probably give it serious consideration as an introduction for my 9 year old.

Sporks vs Spikings?

What's not to like...
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten
    I have absolutely no problem with this. I loved Black Reach; for the price of three metal Deffkoptas, you got three plastic Deffkoptas, plus five Nobz and twenty Boyz. I bought many.

You also got a Warboss, but you couldn't make use of more than two back in the day. Also a bunch of beakies, but who gives a zog?
    I liked having beakies in my AoBR box... I swapped them for someone else's Ork set from his AoBR box

What do you expect from essentially plants? You kill them en masse, and they seed the planet only to return over and over again, until Extermantius!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast