BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Scout

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Well when people try posting positive threads they are usually ignored wholesale. typically the only ones who actually positively contribute are those who are usually accused of negativity in other threads.
    I think that is because people tend to try to find the inflammatory, argumentative, confrontational topics because they are bored and are looking for a good scrap instead trying to have and informed, friendly, informational discussion. It does tend to get annoying that it seems to take, on average, about 7-10 posts for a topic to get completely off course (see rail-roaded) by GW haters who think that it is just plain tomfoolery to enjoy playing 40k, which is funny. I personally don't have that kind of time/energy to convince people that their game of choice can no way be fun. Just plain crazy, but alas, to each their own I guess.
    Waaaaaaaaaaagh! 'Nuf said.

After buying the Codex and Supplement and playing a few game's with I find them good, using the formations are really useful giving me more options to play around with going to a tournament end off the month will be interesting on how they will do or don't do

Quote Originally Posted by DaPlebbeH View Post
    After buying the Codex and Supplement and playing a few game's with I find them good, using the formations are really useful giving me more options to play around with going to a tournament end off the month will be interesting on how they will do or don't do
    The Ghaz supplement is actually decent, but I'm still amazed at the beating the normal ork codex took. It really pisses me off that they planned these two books together and decided to make one a pile of nerfs and the other stand out in every way as superior. They had such a good framework to go with from the last ork codex. Why would they just go through and systematically nerf nearly everything in a book that was already an out of date underperformer? It really shows that GW is intentionally forcing 40k into a "pay to win" game where buying one book isn't good enough and you have to go out and play premade lists (formations) full of expensive models you don't otherwise need in order to keep from being someone's punching bag.

I'll bet everyone looking at those new formations is thinking to themselves: "okay, I need another of these, and two more of these..." I myself have a massive ork collection of everything they offer for the range except the new gork/morkanaughts and I would still need to add stuff to run some of these formations.

As formations and supplements provide an ever increasing advantage; prepare to see the same armies over and over again. Copy paste-pay to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberbeast View Post
    The Ghaz supplement is actually decent, but I'm still amazed at the beating the normal ork codex took. It really pisses me off that they planned these two books together and decided to make one a pile of nerfs and the other stand out in every way as superior. They had such a good framework to go with from the last ork codex. Why would they just go through and systematically nerf nearly everything in a book that was already an out of date underperformer? It really shows that GW is intentionally forcing 40k into a "pay to win" game where buying one book isn't good enough and you have to go out and play premade lists (formations) full of expensive models you don't otherwise need in order to keep from being someone's punching bag.

I'll bet everyone looking at those new formations is thinking to themselves: "okay, I need another of these, and two more of these..." I myself have a massive ork collection of everything they offer for the range except the new gork/morkanaughts and I would still need to add stuff to run some of these formations.

As formations and supplements provide an ever increasing advantage; prepare to see the same armies over and over again. Copy paste-pay to win.
    I agree on what your saying like urself I have a silly ork army and I have spead abit on the new models, but some off the new models are really nice altho I wish I didn't buy 2 morkanauts only thing I do regret, as for the nerfs I sort off don't mind too much just made me play a different way to what I use to play instead off having i.e a unit off 10 nobz geared up i'll just take 7 meganobz just for the better armour save for mob rule. Mek guns I just get a 15 point mek and stick him in with them so they have a little better LD you get what I mean.

The Ghaz supplement is really good in the formations as well as the mork and gork gifts I think there just as useful to the normal codex witch will make lists interesting over time.

As a long term ork player I still will keep playing hands down as orks are my fab army even with the nerfs it will change the way I play and to be honest I really like it instead off doing the same spam list over and over as I will be trying everything out until I find the list I want.

The marketing strategy is simple, instead of a single Codex you are now pretty much forced (if you want to have a decent chance anyway) to buy 2-3. The main book gets it in the throat, being "nerfed" and rather poor. The supplements, most of which have no more than two to three pages of actual rules, offer back things they took away from you in the main book as well as new perks. The point is to sell you 2-3 times the books for your codex than before. If you look carefully, you will see that Games Workshop might have to change its name to Books Workshop soon. In so far as releases are concerned, they have put out a hell of a lot more books than models over the last year.

Don't forget to buy White Dwarf to get your looted wagon too.

As someone who has collected Orks since they came out in 3rd edition my perspective is mostly geared towards modelling and painting. The new kits are pretty great in my opinion. Except for that painboss. That is an ugly, boring model.

One of my chief gripes is the construction instructions. The one that comes directly to mind is the Gork/Morkanaut. There were a couple of the diagrams that had wrong numbers or wrong parts.

Rules-wise, my two biggest issues are the new Mob rule; lots of other people have hit on my issues so I will not labor those points again. The second is the lack of options for taking a KFF. But that is a comp-laint I have with the last Codex; I have a boat-load of meks from the 3rd edition with KFFs and no means to use those models. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Me not Weedy View Post
    One of my chief gripes is the construction instructions. The one that comes directly to mind is the Gork/Morkanaut. There were a couple of the diagrams that had wrong numbers or wrong parts.
    Just had to deal with that with the Meganobz, Deff Dread, AND Bomma kits. One of three would have been bad enough, but all three of them having errors was just ridiculous.

Several games in and many times through the codex and I am still discovering things. Killa kanz are now str 7 close combat not str 10. Kan klaws are +2 str, not double it. That's three strikes against a unit that was already fairing badly from 6th and 7th rules nerfs. (-3 str reduction, pts increase in base cost and most weapon upgrades, cowardly grots rule) Then there is the need to take larger units of them and have a dred to babysit.

That's 2 books that have been milquetoast on their own with competitive supplements, guess we'll see if this trend continues. 2 I could say were just bad design or accidental, 3 occasions of this is a deliberate strategy.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast