BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

The new succubus I prefer, the old one had a slightly meh head and the pose was really static for a succubus. But the haemonculus and archon are certainly not major improvements so coming at the expense of SCs is a bit annoying.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Whoever was in charge of that pose needs to be run out of town on a flaming ox cart.
    I've always been a secret fan of at rest pose's. Plus there is hopefully some conversion potential there.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Thing is I dont really care about minor details as long as they get a representation that doesn't look like [URL="http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/16/83/38/70/archon10.jpg"]this [/URL] im totally fine with having a slightly "meh" head. Even if it is a minor improvement it comes at the expense of other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I think there's more emphasis on target priority. Jump and beat up the squidgy stuff early doors, so by the time you get onto the tougher meats, your pain tokens have kicked in.

All armies benefit from an early aggressive stance anyways - that's how you grab and maintain the initiative. They just go about it in different ways.
    If the Dark Eldar are supposed to be played "front-loaded" then why does Power from Pain kick in as the game drags on? The implementation of a turn-based mechanic does not synchronize well with an army that appears (to me, anyway) to be themed around alpha-strikes. What else could it be teaching the players, except "hide in the corner on the first two turns until you get awesome?"

Sure, there can be an argument for build diversity. Maybe someone in GW thinks that DE armies should be able to play in more ways than just "run in screaming in the first two turns and hope your dice don't **** you." But I hope that's not the intention, because this is a piss poor way of doing it. And anyway, it'll take a lot more than a turn-based PfP to encourage build diversity.

Still, I'll say this: the turn-based PfP progression of bonuses (if the rumors are correct) does make sense if you consider it outside of external factors. First two boosts you get are to Feel No Pain, which means your army can last longer so that they can get into the juicy stuff near Turn 4. And God help them on Turn 6, I guess?

But again, what does this teach the players? Dark Eldar know they're going to be very ferocious on Turn 6, right at the end of the game, but so does the enemy. So with this one rule alone, just this one Power From Pain rule, what's actually happening is THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what's intended.

Dark Eldar players wait for later turns. Their enemy, knowing that they're going to get harder to kill and hit harder as the turns go on, try to kill them as quickly as possible!

It seems to me as though the enemy player becomes the one trying to Alpha Strike!

Now, granted, hitting hard and fast seems to be a good idea in any scenario, especially in a game where most scenarios have an unpredictable (die roll) end condition. And sure, maybe (probably) I'm missing something obvious. Sure would love it if someone told me what that was

Dark Eldar aren't durable enough to last a whole game without taking decisive action to remove major threats early on. PfP just means as a game drags on taking some losses won't be as devastating as it might otherwise be. I think it is a good mechanic personally, characterful too.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

PfP - Currently, to get the first stage, you need to wipe out a unit.

Now, you get it from turn 2 onwards - globally (well, on all units that have said rule). So from turn two, all DE have Feel No Pain. No need to risk getting into combat, just need to dodge the worst of the enemies incoming fire, or (now do correct me if I'm wrong) just arrive from Reserves already feeling well tough.

So how is that actually worse than having to risk it, on a unit by unit basis (with the beneficiary worked out randomly in a multiple combat)?

Seriously? Anyone? No? Dust? Bueller? Bueller? Dust? Anyone? Bueller? Dust?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Oh, I agree that it's a good rule, fluff-wise. I think personally I preferred the theory of the previous version, but the tokens were hard to manage. So I guess I like this new version more from an ease-of-play perspective.

Still, I get the feeling from the rules design of the army that the designers were conflicted. It seems like they wanted fast and hard-hitting, but they couldn't figure out a way to balance that against armies that couldn't mitigate that damage. So instead it feels like Dark Eldar are more glass than cannon, you know?

I mean, just look at the sales of this army. You could argue that more people play Marine-themed armies because they just plain have more models, and by extension, more awesome things to collect. And that's ignoring the obvious build diversity and just plain well-rounded effectiveness of Marine armies. So why bother expanding or even spending serious development time on an army that seems to be increasingly relegated to a fluff-friendly Allies attachment for Eldar players?

Chapter-Master

PfP is very flavorful building as the battle rages. It makes sense the way they structured it as it is intended to represent the Dark Eldar getting stronger as the blood flows on the battlefield. And as Eldargal stated, Dark Eldar will not last if they don't engage the serious threats from turn 1. I always consider it a personal victory if I manage to get to the end of the game with a single vehicle left in the army at all!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Wow, that piece of art you posted would of made an amazing Archon model. Not impressed with that new plastic one though, the pose just looks stiff to me - Belial's model had a similar problem to it that put me off.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    Wow, that piece of art you posted would of made an amazing Archon model. Not impressed with that new plastic one though, the pose just looks stiff to me - Belial's model had a similar problem to it that put me off.
    Some good conversions based on that around, made a female version myself. Only managed two trophy racks though.

Dark Eldar sold really, really well after their 2010 revamp, not sure why anyone think they would skimp on them now. Apart from (possibly) wyches I think the yare very much cannon still, lot of nasty firepower.

Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast