BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Maybe in casual play, maybe, but competitively every single phil kelly book without exception devolves rapidly into one or two netlists. DE was double foc venom/ravager spam, and after allies the beast pack. Space Wolves is long fang spam, grey hunters in drop pods, and rune priests. Orks were nob bikers and battlewagon spam. Eldar was falcon/harlie spam, and now it's serpent spam, wraithknights, and the seer council. Phil Kelly does not write balanced books.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

To be fair this is no Kelly issue.
    Sure his internal balance is lackluster but his armys work as armies. I can build eldar nearly every way I want and still get a functional army that doesnt feel like i have to fight an uphill battle just because I prefer X to Y.
    You CAN play Serpent spam, you can play Seerstar, you can play mass wraithknights but you dont have to.
    The only codex he completely ****ed up in my opinion is chaos space marines.

I'd rather see another Kelly Dark eldar codex where a few units are Op and a few other are crap than a guy like Ward destroying the fluff and producing a ****ty army.
    The examples you give can be attributed to nearly any codex out there including space marines, necrons and grey knights.

Chapter-Master

Sure, whatever you say.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Centurionstar, Bikestar, Cronair, Draigowing, Purifyerspam,... did not exist?

Seriously, Phil is a pretty good designer, probably the best on the GW staff right now. He may not get everything perfect, but his books have a good track record compared to others in what is a difficult and clunky rule system.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Maybe in casual play, maybe, but competitively every single phil kelly book without exception devolves rapidly into one or two netlists. DE was double foc venom/ravager spam, and after allies the beast pack. Space Wolves is long fang spam, grey hunters in drop pods, and rune priests. Orks were nob bikers and battlewagon spam. Eldar was falcon/harlie spam, and now it's serpent spam, wraithknights, and the seer council. Phil Kelly does not write balanced books.
    i play beastmen. your argument is irrelevant.

PK's problem is his naivete. he actually thinks that people will use cool-sounding neat-looking minis if they aren't OP. then the min/maxer players get ahold of the book and cheez it out to a few netlists and PK is sad again but keeps making books the same anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

give me a reason to bring out my WychCult, please. barring that, fix mandrakes. barring both, at least make them less venomspam and i'm happy.

Phil Kelly writes background now, not rules. Move on.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

I'd be happy if Kelly, Vetock, and Bligh were the only codex authors GW had.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

whats bligh done?

I used to like kelly, and then he decided that writing a himage to one of the greatest abominations of a book GW has ever released was a good thing
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Bligh is the lead writer for Forge World.

The other thing always to bear in mind is that the codex authors don't work in a vacuum. There are things the company wants to do. There are the miniatures designers and artists. There are the other authors in the studio, people they play games with and discuss the game with every day. And so on. I like the shift towards naming the whole Design Studio as the author; it's more accurate and probably better for everyone's sanity.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast