BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    So get him stuck into the chaffe instead, and tear through them.

Dark Eldar have always been a thinkers army, since their very beginning. There is nothing new here. You might as well complain that Orks don't tend to have very good armour on their basic Boyz.
    The problem is that Dark Eldar are a thinker's army to play, but playing against them is not so much. Anything with a flamer template is pretty much a hard counter to most DE units. Basic bolters can shoot down out vehicles and planes (especially since the bomber dropped in armor while going up in price). IG Wyverns do such horrible things to the army that going up against them is practically a NPE. Add to that per the rumors, a lot of the "thinking tools" are gone. Haywire wyches to take on vehicles, bladevanes letting us maneuver and deal wounds instead of braving overwatch and getting stuck in, wych weapons letting you use careful unit positioning to minimize enemy attacks with shardnets, all seem to be gone.

I'm usually quite positive (though some people seem to think that being positive about GW seems to be a crime) and quite enjoy the GK book, but from the rumors, this DE book is highly disappointing- it doesn't seem to fix the basic problems of the army, in that the lack of durability is still too high for the damage output they can generate. Reaver jetbikes lost their ability to dance around doing damage while avoiding being tied up in combat, meanwhile the Light Eldar keep their basic troop jetbikes that somehow grant power armor to the wearer.

Yeah Reavers are a blow and if the wyches lose haywire and don't get a dodge against overwatch they won't a particularly viable choice either, but DE shootiness is looking pretty good. I mean I will be super pissed if wyches suck but I think it will end up more like the Eldar situation of a good book with some ****ty choices rather than a terrible book overall.

The voidraven being overcosted came from someone who thought the base price was 250 points when it is in fact 160 and I think can only go to 210.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

but DE shootiness is looking pretty good
    In which regard?
    Splinter cannon went up in price and got Salvo (so only 18" range after movement).
    Venoms have Flickerfield but cant have Nightshields (which give Stealth now so dont stack with Nightfight like...erm... everything else for the same points)
    Raiders went down in price (same cost as venom) but cant have Flickerfields anymore.
    Ravagers cant have Flickerfields so you are forced to Jink with your main anti tank vehicle (as haywire on wyches is gone), not adding to shootiness.
    Every other "shooty option" went either up in price (min 5 models on trueborn), just got deleted (Sliscus) or went up in price and got a nerf (Liquifier)

Yes, basically if you wanna play Raider/Venom Spam with Kabalites and Eldar allies not much has changed. If you want to deviate into virtually ANYTHING else, you get punished.

Wych cult armies might suffer, coven and kabalite lists will be fine. I mean raiders have always been a given for DE, don't act like raider spam being good is a bad thing, that's basically the army from a lore perspective too.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Wych cult armies might suffer, coven and kabalite lists will be fine. I mean raiders have always been a given for DE, don't act like raider spam being good is a bad thing, that's basically the army from a lore perspective too.

Wych cult weren't exactly strong to begin with, and seem to have lost their anti-tank grenades and ability to give assault grenades to units via PGL. Unless they can dodge vs overwatch, already weak wyches have gotten strictly worse.

I dont act like its a bad thing. But I want options. Its fine if it is the Backbone of the army. Its not fine if its the only thing you will ever be allowed to field.
    Coven also took a hit with Wracks are stuck in Elite with no way to move them to Troops.

Still want to know where you see that their shootiness is fine when it has gone down by 1/3

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    Wych cult weren't exactly strong to begin with, and seem to have lost their anti-tank grenades and ability to give assault grenades to units via PGL. Unless they can dodge vs overwatch, already weak wyches have gotten strictly worse.
    I know, and I will be really cranky if that happens because I love my wych cult list. I'm just saying that doesn't mean the entire army is worthless.

Also when it comes to archon in challenges, might make succubus more valuable. AP2, high WS and cheaper than an archon.
    Last edited by eldargal; 09-28-2014 at 07:44 AM.

They were cheaper than Archons...
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Bottom line for me is I don't see enough bad to personally make me stress that the army won't be viable even if there are some problems, and I'm leaving off making any kind of real judgement until I've actually seen the book in case there are factors that are being missed.

Sorry, Mystery, Charon has the right of it. He's applying critical thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by AnEnemy View Post
    I know right? I mean, why would someone that's played DE for six years have even the slightest clue what the army's strengths and weaknesses are and be able to apply critical thought to an avalanche of codex leaks?

We should just stfu, spend $50, and then decide if its a good product. Makes perfect sense. I certainly won't be torrenting this asap.

Now pardon me while I join all the other power gaming Dark Eldar players in the mystical land of Unicorns. WTF?
    On the money. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast