BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

No, he had a model. A model that is no longer produced and no longer available is the same as having no model. You can't order any prt of his model, you can order the two Dark Eldar prisoners which were included with the Dias of Destruction.

A new warmachine is by definition new. If it is the Dias or the Voidraven or somehow both in the same kit then it isn't new. If it is new then it contradicts the claim of no new units, there is no way out of that. If it is the dias or voidraven why not say so?

Any idiot can write out 'rumours' that match the pattern of new releases, that isn't hard. It's what every half arsed rumourmonger has done for years.

Edit: To put it another way, if it just does mean any new larger plastic kit then the rumour is so vague as to be almost meaningless. Virtually every army release bar niche armies like Inquisition have got a large plastic kit of some kind. If it isn't a new unit then it is so vague a rumour as to not be one at all, literally 'GW is releasing new stuff with an army update'.
    Last edited by eldargal; 08-28-2014 at 12:53 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Virtually every army release bar niche armies like Inquisition have got a large plastic kit of some kind.
    Grey Knights did not.
    A new unit is different from a new model. A new unit could be "Dark Eldar Flesh Titan", a new codex entry (I guess we agree that we wont see that).
    A new Warmachine is just that. We dont have a model for the voidraven, so it would be "new". Still no new unit, but a new kit.
    I can think of plastic wracks (cause they are standard) but why should they put the rest of the line in plastics? They havent done that for eldar either. Every unit of aspect warriors is still Failcast.

Hence 'virtually every'. The fact is either he contradicts himself or is being so vague it is meaningless, along with the other points about common wishlisting and whatnot MajorWes pointed out I don't think there is much more to this rumour than that.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Might not be but with the recent (rushed) release of Grey Knights im gonna expect the worst. DE are pretty much niche too so I dont expect a "proper" release as every other codex till Space Wolves had. I fully expect the same treatment as Grey Knight. Stip of options, strip of characters and the missing voidraven as "new" model.

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    A new Warmachine is just that. We dont have a model for the voidraven, so it would be "new". Still no new unit, but a new kit.
    I can think of plastic wracks (cause they are standard) but why should they put the rest of the line in plastics? They havent done that for eldar either. Every unit of aspect warriors is still Failcast.
    If it was the Void Raven, why not call it that, or a bomber, or a flier? A war machine is a rather distinct name. And if it was the Dais of Destruction, why not name it alongside Vect? If it is not one of those two, it would have to be a new unit, contradicting the no new unit claims.

Why shouldn't they put more of the range in plastic? Because it would be unfair to the Eldar? The reason they haven't done all the aspect warriors is because they only design/manufacture so many plastic kits at a time, and they have to choose priorities. The Aspect Warriors are still pretty good sculpts. Giving Eldar a flier was a given to bring them up to par with the other books. Wraithknight was a take or leave it addition to the book, but looks cool and followed on the Riptide to lay the groundwork for the Imperial Knight. And Wraithguard needed made into plastic, so they were, and given an alternate build from the same kit.
    Wracks are the coven troops, and share a lot of wargear with haemonculi, potentially putting a plastic HQ option in the box. Void Raven is a large plane that needs a model, and looks awesome. Vect needs a model, as he is too big a name to remove. And like Logan, if they are going to make a plastic model for him, may as well make it a centerpiece. Unlike Logan, the Dais has been in the fluff forever, so is not going to irritate people like the addition of a sleight/chariot.

Then you still have some important units in the DE range in finecast-
    Grotesques are a monstrous infantry, on the scale of Ogryn, Centurions, or Meganobz, currently with a single model with fixed wargear and no options.
    Incubi are fairly well liked, and their heavy armor gives them a ifferent role in the DE book. They have a finecast kit that looks good, but a plastic kit would let them add weapon options and add parts for Drazhar, a not unpopular character saddled with an old model, one of the few holdouts from the 3rd Ed DE range.
    Beast Packs are popular for the Deathstar option, and made up of a collection of one off rather expensive blisters. They have a variety of models, so would be trickier to convert into plastic.
    Court of the Archon also is made up of individual blister models, but unlike the Beast pack, is rarely taken.
    There are no plastic Dark Eldar HQ options right now. Clampacks should fix that though. a plastic Archon and plastic succubus, compatible with the bits from the warrior and wych boxes respectively would cover a lot of options though.
    Then you have the characters who are likely to be dropped for lack of a model.
    After that, you have the elite versions of the troop units. Bloodbrides and Trueborn can easily be made from the warrior and wych boxes, but that hasn't stopped the Space Marines from gettng specific models for their Sternguard and Vanguard squads, or models for Chaos chosen from showing up in plastic. They could even toss in more parts- It would not be hard to put out a box of Trueborn with parts for an Archon and the Duke, maybe even Lady Malys. And a Bloodbride box could fit a succubus model, and also have say a Lahamian poisoner model or two.

OK, that ended up far afield of where it started.

I think you make the mistake of not seperating "what should be done" from "what will they actually do according to their treatment of recent releases"

What we probably will see:
    Vect as a giant *** expensive LoW kit
    Voidraven Bomber kit
    Plastic Wracks
    Stripping of SC without models, introducing some of their old wargear as relics

The rest is wishthinking.
    Why shouldn't they put more of the range in plastic? Because it would be unfair to the Eldar?
    No, because they haven't done so in the past. Why should they start now, especially with a niche army that has covered most options in plastic already.

Bloodbrides and Trueborn can easily be made from the warrior and wych boxes, but that hasn't stopped the Space Marines from gettng specific models for their Sternguard and Vanguard squads, or models for Chaos chosen from showing up in plastic.
    Nothing stops Space Marines from getting everything, because they are... hmm... Space Marines. They are not niche, they are GWs most beloved poster boys.
    Last edited by Charon; 08-28-2014 at 06:21 AM.

I think you make the mistake of not seperating "what should be done" from "what will the actually do according to their treatment of recent releases"
    It's true; Orks don't exist. Neither do Wood Elves or Dwarves. This only works if by "recent" you mean "literally the last two".
    Last edited by Cap'nSmurfs; 08-28-2014 at 06:21 AM.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Was the orc codex more recent than grey knights?

But also... how many Finecast units/models were turned into plastic minis?
    Did they lose no SC?
    Last edited by Charon; 08-28-2014 at 06:29 AM.

It was all of three months ago; surely that counts as "recent releases"? If you're trying to extrapolate a pattern from literally one data point then, uhhh...

Grey Knights had an uncommonly small release; Orks had an uncommonly big one (like Dark Elves last year); Space Wolves were somewhere in between. Wood Elves were quite small and quick. The Wood Elf/Dwarfs/Space Wolves example I expect to be more of the norm, but there is room for the bigger releases. You have to consider all of that, not just Grey Knights (which was so strange, and I hope doesn't happen again).
    Last edited by Cap'nSmurfs; 08-28-2014 at 06:27 AM.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

I have to say I will be really upset if Malys really does get dropped. The Dark Eldar codex was basically unique in that it had two female SCs out of eight (contrast to SoB codex having one female SC out of two, lol). All it would take would be for them to give one tiny character release slot to her.

Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast