BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    It was all of three months ago; surely that counts as "recent releases"? If you're trying to extrapolate a pattern from literally one data point then, uhhh...

Grey Knights had an uncommonly small release; Orks had an uncommonly big one (like Dark Elves last year); Space Wolves were somewhere in between. Wood Elves were quite small and quick. The Wood Elf/Dwarfs/Space Wolves example I expect to be more of the norm, but there is room for the bigger releases. You have to consider all of that, not just Grey Knights (which was so strange, and I hope doesn't happen again).
    If other sources are correct then the missing codices are already done and ready. I fully expect the Grey Knights to be the norm for the missing "late 5th" codices. Necrons and Dark Eldar with a bigger release for everyones favorites: the Blood Angels. The Orcs had to be a bigger release because they where what? 4th edition?

Depends what you mean by "the norm". I don't think a release with no new models is going to be normal at all. I expect Necrons and Dark Eldar, when they arrive, will be along the lines of Space Wolves/Dwarfs, with a plastic character or two, a big kit, and a troop box of some kind.

Fair point with the Orks. The thing, I think, is that the "core ranges" for Dark Eldar, Necrons, Space Wolves etc. are all relatively modern. Grey Knights isn't that old at all; it makes all their core units, they have a big kit, they've got characters, and they're a niche army (after the initial surge of interest died down). What do you give them? It's exactly the kind of book you can do quickly.

The thing is that I don't disagree with you by a huge amount, it's just that I think suggesting Grey Knights to be the new normal is silly.

Another consideration, I think, is that I don't think we're getting a new Warhammer Fantasy Army Book until 9th edition. I think End Times is filling all those slots now.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

The core range for Dark Eldar is modern AND they are certainly not one of the top sellers despite having one of the most impressive sculpured range of minis. They recently came to attention as "support" for Eldar. Namely the Baron. But in most cases it is Eldar with a few DE allys. Not the other way round.
    So why giving more attention to one of the "not so well selling" armies? There is also not much that you can give to them. They have their Flyers in the book (one model missing -> easy to grab opportunity), they have one SC on a giant Raider (also easy to grab LoW). But beyond that?
    They didnt bother giving them anything for escalation (erm... yeah just use the Eldar thing... no we are not gonna do conversion kits and we know that it contradicts fluff) and not even FW can be arsed to do anything for DE that is not another iteration of a Raider/Ravager.

The last DE update put them in such a strong position models-wise that any new release is likely to be on the smaller side, I agree. It hasn't been ten years since the last book, they don't have huge gaps in the range. They're in line for a "normal" release.

(Which is still more than Grey Knights, ho ho ho).
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Depends on how you look at it.
    If you are coming from the side of "they will get new kits because there are units that lack models" then yes.. more than Grey Knights.
    On the other side if you consider getting missing models for units is a given (Grey Knights already had all models) then you will get no new models. Just some kits which you already had to wait nearly 5 years for.

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    The core range for Dark Eldar is modern AND they are certainly not one of the top sellers despite having one of the most impressive sculpured range of minis. T.
    Citation needed. GW have never provided any firm data on how sales are broken down. All reports from the year or so after th DE release indicated they sold extremely well, something supported by the vas number of DE plogs that started up on various forums. Sales will doubtless have reduced over time but they all do.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

They do not keep track of army sales. But I guess you can get some hints at your local stores which boxes are replenished regularly and which are standing around since... years, observation at gaming clubs where pure DE seem to be as common orks pre recent codex and last but not least how regular ther range is updated, expanded or changed. They do that with Space Marines on a regular basis (new tactical squad nearly every edition, codex every edition not every 2nd or 3rd, new stuff added,...) which would be a fun thing to do if their poster boys would not be their number 1 selling range.
    I would say that DE recently got a bit of populartity as the Baron was part of the Seerstar and people needed to get a box of hellions and a few kabalites. They also pulled them off their stores making most units web exclusives. Even Forgeword doesnt bother much with Dark Eldar. You can argue otherwise but this is not a sign for a top selling product.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Citation needed. GW have never provided any firm data on how sales are broken down. All reports from the year or so after th DE release indicated they sold extremely well, something supported by the vas number of DE plogs that started up on various forums. Sales will doubtless have reduced over time but they all do.
    I don't doubt that DE sales were strong following the last release. After all, they hadn't been updated for 11 years. What data we do have comes from independent stores sales data. Larry does talk to them from time to time and getting information from them regarding what sells and what doesn't shouldn't be rocket science if they're all keeping good books.

However, that being said, I cannot imagine that DE are a top seller even amongst non-space marine model lines based solely upon the numbers of DE armies we see showing up to events around the world.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

The problem with that is independent sellers only represent one segment of GW sales, the independent stores data we do get tends to come from the US and even then it is hardly enough to draw real conclusions from given how many independent stores actually sell GW product. Not to mention I've not seen any data that goes into actual depth beyond breaking it down into games systems. People who go to events are also a very small fraction of the overall playerbase. My point isn't that DE are a top seller, it is that we have no way of knowing so speculating how GW will treat them based on something we have no kind of knowledge of seems rather silly.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    My point isn't that DE are a top seller, it is that we have no way of knowing so speculating how GW will treat them based on something we have no kind of knowledge of seems rather silly.
    But we DO have knowledge of their treatment of Space Marines Model Ranges. A long time observation has happened.
    Sure hardly enough to predict what they are going to do but enough to speculate that DE will not get the same attention as their No1 armies.
    And if we look through the last releases we can say that orks got a big release because of the age of their last codex (similar to DE when they got their codex in 5th), Wolves got the 2 "mandatory" flyers, a new Logan LoW kit and a plastic cybot, Grey Knights already had their entire army done (including the flyers) so they got the finger.
    Leaves us with the DE who have only 1 of their 2 (mandatory) flyers, an opportunity for another easy moneygrab with a LoW ex Special Character and probably a multi purpose kit (melee wracks and ranged wracks). I really dont think that DE will receive any better treatment than the releases before.

Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast