BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scout

Default Returning to 40k

Comming back with Space Wolves from 5th edition. Don't have 7th yet, heard 6th was a little hard on my guys, what's my second step (step 1 getting 7th)?

Step 2:Cross fingers our wolves don't get nerfed too bad in a month or two?
    on the plus side we have no wolf codex specific psychic powers at the moment(gw FAQ removed them), so hopefully we'll get them back in some form.
    Step 3: take old army list. Add more dakka. Or cavalry. Or both.
    Vehicles were a dit flimsy in 6th. They're a bit better now tho (apparently).
    Never enough time to do nothing.

Brother-Sergeant

I don't know what step 2 is but I hear that step three is Profit!

But seriously, step 2 depends on what Space Wolves models you already have. You need to analyze what deficiencies your force suffers from. You may have a Space Wolves army that kicked *** in 5th edition but it may get steamrolled in 7th.

You need to be prepared for the most common foes you will face on the field. Think about whether you have anything that can stand up to:

a. Three Chaos Space Marine Helldrakes flying at you laying down templates that ignore cover and ignore your power armour.
    b. An Eldar force featuring a Farseer and Warlocks on Jetbikes with a re-rollable invulnerable 2++ save.
    c. A Tyranid swarm with multiple toughness 6 monstrous creatures, half of which are flying.

Your bag of tricks needs to have something that can deal with all of the new powergaming nonsense that your local meta will try to throw at you. That is step 2: buy more Space Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo187 View Post
    I don't know what step 2 is but I hear that step three is Profit!

But seriously, step 2 depends on what Space Wolves models you already have. You need to analyze what deficiencies your force suffers from. You may have a Space Wolves army that kicked *** in 5th edition but it may get steamrolled in 7th.

You need to be prepared for the most common foes you will face on the field. Think about whether you have anything that can stand up to:

a. Three Chaos Space Marine Helldrakes flying at you laying down templates that ignore cover and ignore your power armour.
    b. An Eldar force featuring a Farseer and Warlocks on Jetbikes with a re-rollable invulnerable 2++ save.
    c. A Tyranid swarm with multiple toughness 6 monstrous creatures, half of which are flying.

Your bag of tricks needs to have something that can deal with all of the new powergaming nonsense that your local meta will try to throw at you. That is step 2: buy more Space Wolves!
    Yeah, figure out where you're gaming, who you're gaming and then you'll have an idea how competitive you need to make your list. It's hard to counter every possibility tho. I'd say either counter or try shenanigans of your own. Bikerstar, cavalry star, alpha droppod strike, etc.
    Allies are a thing now too.
    Never enough time to do nothing.

Scout

I have the basics of the great 5th edition army, lots of Grey hunters, lots of long fangs, with rhinos or razor backs to deliver them. 1/2 the people up here are some type of space marine, then guard (or whatever the new name is) and eldar being the most likely non power armor base army, but then again that was 2 years ago. I think my nest step will be to finish up some painting while I save up and wait to update until until after the next codex comes out.

Scout

I've had decent luck running mostly foot, with a couple pods to screw with the backfield.

Even serpents have a hard time chewing through 50-70 bodies on the tabe charging at them.

I still load up with long fangs and lots of grey hunters.

I'm in the same situation (haven't played since 5th), but with Tau. At least a new codex came out since I was gone. From what I can tell so far, vehicles got more durable, so AP1/AP2 weapons will be a must have. And assault looks to have become a lot less reliable, but Thunderwolf Cav might have an easier time with it

Brother-Captain

It really does depend on whether your local gamers are actually going to use any of the silliness listed above. If not, you don't have to worry so much.

Brother-Sergeant

And now that there will be a new starter set in a couple of weeks. I can add another must have for you: The Space Wolves vs Orks starter set. I always buy two of each starter set. It is the cheapest way to bulk up your force. If you don't like Orks then trade them to a buddy for his Space Wolves starter minis. Win win.

Scout

I was holding off on buying the big rule book with this exact hope in mind! New rules, new wolves, bargain price (well,GW bargain price)!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast