BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Deploying attached in transports.

Now, battle brothers can ride in transports of their allies Woo Hoo, this actually makes sense.
    1. I'm thinking they can deploy in the transport with their allies. In terms of Indy characters i mean. Say for example, I have a commissar lord who wants to ride down in a drop pod attached to a 5 man tac squad. I'm thinking this would be legal.
    2. Could the same commissar lord pod down in the empty pod of a dev squad who is deploying on the table? I'm thin king not but gotta toss it out there just in case someone wants to prove me wrong.

well, a drop pod is a dedicated transport, so only the unit it was bought for can go into it at the start of the game, so with no one in it, a commissar can't attach to it.

Chaplain

I don't see why an IC cannot join a unit inside it's dedicated transport for deployment? He becomes a part of that unit.

For example, Canoness deploys with Sororitas squad inside a dedicated Rhino transport. Said Canoness could not however start in it by herself and the squad outside.
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

RAW, the only way to join a unit in a dedicated transport, or indeed any transport, is if it's held in reserve.

Short version follows.

Dedicated Transports can only have their parent unit deployed in them at the start of the game.

Characters join units on deployment by deploying within coherency with them.

Combine those two, and you can't do both, as you don't form coherency with the unit.

However, Reserves have more specific wording in this regard, in that you declare who is where and in what when declaring your reserves.

Hope this helps
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

There is no rules in the Current BRB that disallow you to start an IC inside a dedicated transport at the start of a game as long as he is attached to the unit.

There is specific mention of it in either the IC or transport rules sections if i remember correctly as a matter of fact.

This is what I was thinking. You can attach librarians and chaplains and such to units coming down in pods before the game so didnt think independant characters from battle brothers who are also allowed to attach and now to ride in transports would be any different. Didnt think they could ride down without the parent unit though but figured i'd ask anyways
    I see a lot of daemonology bombs starting to get played using this.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Broussard View Post
    There is no rules in the Current BRB that disallow you to start an IC inside a dedicated transport at the start of a game as long as he is attached to the unit.

There is specific mention of it in either the IC or transport rules sections if i remember correctly as a matter of fact.
    Sadly not.

You deploy onto the board one unit at a time. So Transport, Unit (declared to be in transport), and then the IC. As the unit is not on the board, only the transport, there is no way for the IC to be deployed within 2" of the unit, and thus count as having joined it.

This is not the case if all three elements are in reserve, as you declare they're a single roll when declaring reserves.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Sadly not.

You deploy onto the board one unit at a time. So Transport, Unit (declared to be in transport), and then the IC. As the unit is not on the board, only the transport, there is no way for the IC to be deployed within 2" of the unit, and thus count as having joined it.

This is not the case if all three elements are in reserve, as you declare they're a single roll when declaring reserves.
    All it says is that he must be deployed in coherency with the unit. Since RAW once he joins the unit for all rules purposes he is part of it, he would deploy 'with' the unit. Where is a rule that you deploy 1 unit at a time? I can pick up 2 Leman Russ tanks and easily deploy both one in each hand. The same goes for a character; I pick up the unit; and the character, and put them on the table in coherency. There you go, he's deployed in coherency; if it's in a transport I pick up the transport, put it on the table and then declare that 'this guy is with these guys in this vehicle' and put him with them. Nothing anywhere says that's illegal. And if anyone said to me 'you can't do that because blah blah blah' I'll just pack up and leave and remember him as TFG so I never play him again. Because I know of nobody of the people I play against that would rule that any other way or try. heck most would use their characters like that too.
    Last edited by John Bower; 07-02-2014 at 03:20 PM.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

One unit has to go down before the other.

In order to join the unit, it has to be on the board itself, so the character can deploy within 2" of them. Clearly he cannot do this if they are in a transport, on account they aren't physically on the board. And as Dedicated Transports can only have their parent unit deployed in them, he can't go in it without having joined the unit.

Don't go calling TFG when it's what the rules state. Whether it makes sense to you or not is immaterial. They are what they are. Want to agree to ignore that bit with your opponent? Go for it.

But you can't go calling someone TFG for following the rules dude.

the german BRB specially says (on page 82) that indepent characters can infact join units in dedicated transports.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast