BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At Which Point

Librarian

Default At Which Point

Do Old models pass from oh, these models suck, etc etc etc. to Hmm, thats an old model and It looks unique?

I Have a bunch of old plastic Arrer Boyz, and an Old Wraith Lord. And Neither seem to get much attention, but other people's old models seem to get alot of attention
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

Veteran-Sergeant

Unfortunately some models will be forever rubbish no matter how old they get although some good models do get better with age as the become more distinctive from what's currently available. For example I have an all metal genestealer hybrid with an autopistol and sword that looked good within it's range when it was available and is really distinctive now that few people have seen the model.

Generally the trend seems to be that each generation of models is better than the last (otherwise why would they replace them - but there are exceptions) so usually older models stay bad.

Chaplain

I never understood the "OOP! RARE!" auctions on eBay, since almost all of the old models sucked.

However, I noticed a couple years ago that my Librarian has gone out of production... which is pretty sweet, in a way, 'cause it still looks great but is a rare sight at my LGS.
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

I think it depends on what it is and why...I started an IG army a while back and would like to get some of the old girl guard. I'd like them in my army, but they haven't been updated... even though if they were they'd probably look better now than they did then. They are cool (to me) not because of oop, but because of what they are.

It totally depends on the model. Cypher = Cool while other models are just bad sculpts. I think its a combination of a cool sculpt combined with it being oop which means that there are a good amount of people who have never see it so it adds some uniqueness to the model.

Grand Provost Marshal

General rule of thumb: Jes Goodwin sculpted it? It's still cool.

Librarian

Depends on the model and it's significance. Some older character models have that " Classic " designation while ordinary models usually usually don't.

Some models with be forever young, other will always be awful.

Occuli Imperator

Pretty much all the old sculpts are junk... Especially the Egg on Legs
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Chaplain

[url]http://www.solegends.com/citfsnew/fstorture/index.htm[/url]

Enough said...
    Goodbye Bols!

Brother-Captain

I've been using the old Commisar Yarrick model recently, and it doesn't have near the same style of the newer figures, but he still commands a strong feel. He's designed in that 2 dimensional style needed for single piece models when molding (his back pole is separate though). The newer model is far more dynamic with much more detail, but to me, not nearly as cool.

JOhn M>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast