BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Anyone tried using them as backfield blockers?

Thinking here is they make for a pretty flexible deterrent unit to any deepstrike hi-jinks. After all, deep striking units tend (but not universally so) to be fairly small, and typically high point cost, precisely the sort of unit which likely don't want to get stuck in combat with Mutilators, whilst being prime prey for Mutilators themselves.

Again, their lack of pace makes this slightly dodgy as their effective patrol range is limited (at absolute worst, a meagre 3" walk and charge) but against a cautious opponent, it could encourage them to deep strike further away.

Added bonus here of course is one could keep them completely hidden from sight until their head breaking skills are required, cutting down the potential attrition. Should go without saying that this would favour a dakka heavy army. Not being a Chaos player, I'm not sure how well Chaos does gun lining though.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 07-02-2014 at 02:31 PM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    Why is it that these positive voices with anecdotal stories about well-known poorly performing units always appear with like 1-10 posts and have only arrived? I know it could just be a coincidence but it is such a consistent coincidence.
    Ouch, sniff

Sorry, I just recently joined and been lurking for a while now. We can't all start with a couple thousand posts under our belt.

The problem I had with the mutilators in my (highly anecdotal) game is that I couldn't get my melta guns (on white scars bikes) close enough to destroy the land raider and shoot the mutilators. When in a land raider they have a potential 19" range on their charge (6" move. 6" disembark and an average 7" charge). So I basicly got somewhat close, shot my melta guns, got a single hull point off and next turn got charged and wiped out in return. Caveat, my dice rolling is hardly what you'd call hot, mileage may vary for people who can actually roll a 6 if their life depended on it.

I like Mutilators just for tank hunting, though it would require a Land Raider probably. Keeping them in a backfield position could work depending on the enemy's plans/composition. A bunch of Chainfist attacks is pretty handy to have loitering as good board pressure. Maybe keep them outta sight in the ground floor of a Bastion, with Obliterators above. When dudes come to try and blow up the building they can repel the enemy, and survive building collapses.

Definitely not my favorite CSM unit, but fun to try now and then. Invisibility would certainly help, though I think Invisible Spawn/Biker Lord would be more generally effective. Of course grav guns will smoke them, but they smoke nearly everything

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Krungharr View Post
    I like Mutilators just for tank hunting, though it would require a Land Raider probably. Keeping them in a backfield position could work depending on the enemy's plans/composition. A bunch of Chainfist attacks is pretty handy to have loitering as good board pressure. Maybe keep them outta sight in the ground floor of a Bastion, with Obliterators above. When dudes come to try and blow up the building they can repel the enemy, and survive building collapses.

Definitely not my favorite CSM unit, but fun to try now and then. Invisibility would certainly help, though I think Invisible Spawn/Biker Lord would be more generally effective. Of course grav guns will smoke them, but they smoke nearly everything
    Sure or for not too much more than a full unit of Mutilators you could take Be'Lakor and get the full package.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12