BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Has anyone tried the Daemon Summoning powers with a Non-Daemon army?

I recently had someone suggest some Summoned Daemon conversions for my themed guard army. Summoning some nice close quarter units would be good but with the double perils it is risky so I doubt it's suitable for competitive play.

So I'm interested to know if anyone has tried using the Daemon Summoning Psychic Discipline with an army that isn't 40k Daemons. If so how did it go and what units were summoned?
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

My wife summond a "saint" with her SOB army. She just used the rules for a bloodthirster. Conversion wise just give the unit/model weapons that act like their deamon counter parts if able. And for how it went, my knight banished that thing back to the warp where it belongs!

How? I thought SOB were like Black Templars in the fact they can't field psykers?

Battle-Brother

I ran a list with some drop pods with Tiggy and a contingent of grey knights for warp charge generation (generated about 9 charges without the extra from the dice roll). It worked pretty well, turn 1 usually consisted of summoning some pink horrors with Tiggy, then on subsequent turns using those horrors to summon. Tiggy usually died or was sacrificed for a greater demon, but I generally got 2-3 units of demons summoned beforehand.

TL: DR: If you can generate enough warp charges, summoning demons works well.

I've done it with CSM but it was kind of a cheat. Using the Crimson Slaughter supplement I can give a Sorcerer the Daemon power and thus not incur the risk of Perils on any double.

Did it with Orks in my send-off before the new codex arrived (when all they could take was Daemonology). In one game, a Weirdboy managed to summon three units of Horrors and a unit of Bloodletters. One unit of Horrors sacrificed two members to become Heralds. One got shot up, as did the Bloodletters, taking shots away from my Orks. The other was reduced to four members and promptly summoned a Keeper of Secrets (would have gone with Lord of Change if I had the model). The Weirdboy doing all this had three Perils: The first was a "pass Ld or something bad happens," and he passed easily (large mob). The second and third times, he rolled a six... passed both (even with most of the mob gone by that point), whereupon he personally shredded two Killa Kanz the Nob with power klaw was having trouble with and then proceeded to tear apart some Flash Gitz in assault.

I'm considering some kind of promotion for the guy.

The next game, it didn't go so well, as a Space Wolf player brought a pair of level 2 psykers and just kept shutting me down.

I havnt tried it yet but am considering getting a few guard psychers allied with a small marine force to pod the psychers and maybe a libby down on top of the enemy turn one and start summoning on top of them.
    Anyone try this yet?
    Thinking would be better with a marine force using guard allies instead to get more pods. unsure.

I put a pair of evil primariuses with my guard. They didn't reliably summon a unit every turn, but they were able to bring on a daemons pack or two before before getting greased or sucked into the warp.

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL INC View Post
    I havnt tried it yet but am considering getting a few guard psychers allied with a small marine force to pod the psychers and maybe a libby down on top of the enemy turn one and start summoning on top of them.
    Anyone try this yet?
    Thinking would be better with a marine force using guard allies instead to get more pods. unsure.
    That's.... actually pretty nifty sounding.....

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL INC View Post
    Anyone try this yet?
    I recommend nicknaming this tactic "The Daemonbomb!", it sounds fun but very risky as it relies heavily on their performance because they'll be the main target for your opponent due to their threat so the first turn summoning is vital!

Also what sort of daemons did you summon?
    Last edited by Proiteus; 07-08-2014 at 02:54 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    I recommend nicknaming this tactic "The Daemonbomb!", it sounds fun but very risky as it relies heavily on their performance because they'll be the main target for your opponent due to their threat so the first turn summoning is vital!

Also what sort of daemons did you summon?
    I'm gearing up to run a Eldar Battleforged list that I call the PossessionBomb this week. Overall Warp Charge in the range of 20-30

Basically Farseer + 10 Warlocks and 3-5 Spiritseers (still deciding on how many points I want to sink into the Spiritseers)

Farseer runes with Stones and Runes letting them drop Conjuration to WC 2,
    Warlocks mainly go Daemonology rolling for Possession. Should give 1-2 possessions reliably (The fact that they will perils and die is meaningless as the greater Daemon is created regardless.),
    Spiritseers roll on Telepathy looking for invisibility to give some solid defense.

Any Warlocks with possession get spread around to various guardian units to allow multiple Possessions per turn.

Plan to pop out a Lord of Change, a unit of Horrors and maybe a lvl 2 Herald of Tzeentch on Turn 1. If I get lucky with Possession I'll also try to pop a Bloodthirster on Turn 1 too.

If these survive they will form the core of summoning more Daemons to the table over the course of the game. Going to see how this works out blended with Wave Serpents and Eldar firepower. Should be interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast