BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
    Play with unpainted miniatures.
    Ah now that I can empathise with; never do I field a model until it's painted fully.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Initiate

1. Unpainted minis. You spent the money to buy them; spend the money to paint them. They don't need to be golden demon quality but please put 3 colors on them.

2. Special Characters. I detest them. I hate seeing every 1500 point force with Mephiston, Abbadon, Eldrad etc. They have their place in games but not little games.

3. Competitive/WAAC armies. If you are not playing in a tournament you don't need to field your inquisitor, dark eldar, eldar army combo that can melee on turn 1, gets 40 warp charge dice and ever unit has a 2++ save. Learn to have fun once in a while with a normal list.
    I will fear no evil... The shadow is mine and so is the valley.

Broadside spam - It's terrible guys. Please stop. Get some terrain and stop whining that they're OP.

Tau Superheavies - they're all at least twice the price of a Baneblade and half the badass. Not to mention that £300 for the fugly box that is the Orca is just silly. Extend this to any Tau Flier that isn't the Barracuda or Remora, really.

Mixing Tau Empire and Farsight Enclaves - it feels like I'm cheesing out for OS Crisis Suits and the Earth Cast Array.

Never buy upgrades on the Ordnance Russes - Nope. Just nope, not spending points on a Snap-Firing pair of Heavy Bolters.

Also everything must be fielded in max-size squads, with next-to-no upgrades that don't add more dakka. I haven't played enough Guard to pick up many pet hates, though.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Scout

I pride myself with not playing CSM, but actually Emperor's Children. I never use any non-vehicle unit that does bear the Mark of Slaanesh.

Also I don't use a helldrake since I've got tons of noise marines shooting off high Str low Ap weapons all over the place.

Brother-Captain

I never use Armored Sentinels. Sentinels, in my mind, are intended to be fast, light, scout vehicles that either harass the enemy flanks or use their Scout Move to jump on an objective in cover and give support fire to advancing infantry. Putting them up front and trying to go toe to toe with tanks is suicidal.

Speaking of suicidal, I never use suicide squads. Sending good soldiers out just to get killed is a waste of valuable Astra Militarum resources and should be considered heresy. I will sometimes use suicidal tactics if the situation calls for it, but I don't build it into my army list.

I also never use Ministorum Priests. The War Hymns are nice, but they're only used in close combat, and my boys prefer not to get that close. Also, I find Zealot too restrictive. Being Fearless is cool, but sometimes, you need to Go to Ground or utilize Our Weapons Are Useless, and you can't do that with some maniac Priest smacking your soldiers over the head with a book. I prefer Commissars because they can CHOOSE to execute someone when the squad fails a LD test, but they don't have to, and Stubborn provides greater tactical flexibility than Fearless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flare8521 View Post
    I pride myself with not playing CSM, but actually Emperor's Children. I never use any non-vehicle unit that does bear the Mark of Slaanesh.

Also I don't use a helldrake since I've got tons of noise marines shooting off high Str low Ap weapons all over the place.
    I wholeheartedly endorse this. Noise Marines are awesome! Who else uses heavy metal to kill you? Rock on!
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

My wallet is my biggest constraint.

Quote Originally Posted by Rissan4ever View Post
    Speaking of suicidal, I never use suicide squads. Sending good soldiers out just to get killed is a waste of valuable Astra Militarum resources and should be considered heresy. I will sometimes use suicidal tactics if the situation calls for it, but I don't build it into my army list.
    Wait...the whole point about guard is that they are expendable numbers. Suicide missions is what they are for!
    http://www.celestial-lions.net - witness my insanity

Not so much tactics wise, but one thing I never do is flip my lid when I lose. I have lost a TON of games over the years. I've had some great and glorious victories too mind you, but I certainly don't lose my mind when I lose a game. Hell I once lost over half my force on turn one, and we just laughed about it, and decided to start over instead.

Overall it's important to always be both a gracious winner and accept when you lose too.

Special characters. I never liked the idea I had the one of whatever character in the galaxy in my army, especially since if he then dies it just seems silly. Nevermind all the shenanigans about having someone else with a copy of him as well...

Special characters. Having 1 of a unique anything in the 41st millennium just doesn't fly with me. Plus the shenanigans that ensue potentially playing another list with the same IC...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast