BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

As long as it's on the right sized base and painted to a reasonable standard. If players on a budget are looking for alternatives or just prefer the aesthetic of the the Dreamforge model, I just don't mind.
    I think if a whole 40k army was made up of non GW models or the majority was then I would have an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomgar View Post
    You can blame GW's pricing all you want but going around calling people morons for buying their preferred product is entirely on the people doing the trolling. I dunno if they worked for Dreamforge or were just childishly bitter towards Games Workshop but it's hardy GW's fault that these people were hellbenton starting stupid, petty flamewars.
    I will give you that much. I don't think it should matter one whit what people like or don't like. However, I have seen the same thing in reverse when it comes to all the Mantic bashing that goes on every time they release something. I don't care if people like their stuff or not or if they think they are original or not. If it's not a direct copy then it's legal and people are allowed to buy it if they like it, period.

Battle-Brother

I am fine with it. For me, this is a game that involves having fun and playing with models. I'm accept that there are some really competitive players out there who want to win at all costs or who are very strict about the rules and see a non-GW model on a non-GW base as outside those rules or giving an unfair advantage, but I say go for it. I think its a cool model and will feel even better if and when my guys blow it up. ;-) :-)

D

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDraper View Post
    I am fine with it. For me, this is a game that involves having fun and playing with models. I'm accept that there are some really competitive players out there who want to win at all costs or who are very strict about the rules and see a non-GW model on a non-GW base as outside those rules or giving an unfair advantage, but I say go for it. I think its a cool model and will feel even better if and when my guys blow it up. ;-) :-)

D
    The models rarely, if ever, give an unfair advantage. It is FAR EASIER to get a Games Workshop model that does that. If I were to use the standard Be'lakor, for example, it would be a snap to hide him from LOS. I don't. I converted my own that looked appropriate in size to the most powerful Daemon Prince. Every model I have ever seen on the table from other companies has been as big, if not bigger, than the requirement. In 40K bigger is not better. It makes it harder to get cover and to hide it. The WAAC type generally use Games Workshop models and/or model for advantage. I add the caveat that true WAAC type players are the exception. The term just gets used far too liberally by anyone who loses a game. It isn't unlike hearing the term "Troll" on the internet used for anyone and everyone who disagrees with someone.

In fact, the only time I ever hear people complain about models like the Dreamforge is when they are being scumbags and trying to disallow a model whose stats they don't want to face on the table. They try to use the model as a means to bar the player or part of his lists at tournaments. Most Tournament Organizers give such people the proper disdain they deserve, and most people using such models simply clear it with the TO before the event. Let me put it this way, with no ambiguity. Our hobby is NOT Games Workshop. Our hobby is toy soldiers. Games Workshop is just a merchant, the top dog, in a field of merchants who provide product for our hobby. As long as the proper base sizes and rules are being obeyed, I don't which merchant you got your model from.

I have both a Knight and a Leviathan. Depending on the game I will probably have the Levi either stand in for a Knight companion or a warhound, but as always check with your opponent first. These games are supposed to be fun right? No fun for your game mate if he can't field anything to deal with it.

Battle-Brother

Question

Hey all, I know I'm resurrecting this thread but I've done a bunch of reading and have taken the input from you all and the people at my local gaming shop. I decided to go with a Modified Warhound Titan spec. drawn up to be more in line with the Grey Knights. Here they are.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nemesis Titan.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	301.5 KB 
ID:	11380

C = Codex: Grey Knights
    RB = 7th edition Rule Book
    A = Apocalypse Rule Book
    MT = Codex: Militarium Tempestus
    5C = 5th edition Codex: Grey Knights
    JGF = My initials. Means I made up that rule / weapon.

I specifically made it so there is inner strategy involved as you cannot activate both weapons and use psyker powers at the same time.

I play tested it last night against a 750 pt. Necron army. It came down to my Nemesis Titan with one hull point and his Triarch Stalker. I Periled and lost on turn 5. So I see it as a successful first run.

What do you all think?

Field it as whatever you like. He's bigger and badder than an Imperial Knight, closer to a Warhound in awesomeness.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123