BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default HQs of one chapter and everyone else from a different one?

So...

I have been playing 40k for about 2 years now. My space marines are ultramarines but I am interested in trying out different chapter tactics. What do you think of the idea of using HQ choices such as Lysander or Vulkan but troops painted like Ultramarines and using the tactics from the Imperial Fists or Salamanders? Acceptable play or not?

D

Occuli Imperator

Sure why not, colour is never wysiwyg, unless you are talking about Red Paint the Ork wargear option.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

If they're all using the same chapter tactics, fine. You have a perfectly legal Salamanders army with an unusual paint scheme.

If you want to use two different chapter tactics, the models should be clearly distinct so your opponent knows which are (counts as) Salamanders and which are (counts as) Ultramarines.

Painting the base rims different colours is a good way to differentiate those members of Chapter X with Chapter Y tactics from those with Chapter Z tactics.

Plus it's easy enough to change later, just a quick swoosh round with a standard or starter brush loaded with a different foundation and you're good to go.

Though if you do it constantly you might find your 25mm bases creep up to 26mm...

Codex Space Marines, Chapter Traits:

Certain units and special characters have specific Chapter Tactics and can only be taken in detachments of the specified Chapter.
    Vulkan, Special Rules:
    • Chapter Tactics (Salamanders)
    Lysander, Special Rules:

• Chapter Tactics (Imperial Fists)
    Its perfectly ok to use Vulkan in your "blue Salamanders" army.
    Its not ok to use Vulkan with Ultramarine Chapter traits.
    Last edited by Charon; 07-11-2014 at 01:20 PM.

It's pretty clear David was talking about the former and not the latter.

Battle-Brother

Hey folks- thanks for the heads up. I didn't want to show up and find out I'd committed a major faux paux. Charon - yeah, I meant using the HQ AND their chapter tactics, not the HQ and two different sets of chapter tactics. (although that idea sounds pretty freaking entertaining for a very casual game).

D