BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default (Re) Starter daemons 1000pts

Greetings all.

I played daemons a lot through late 5th and 6th edition, but haven't had chance to pick them up in 7th. There have been a fair few changes for my daemonic legion, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch in terms of list building. With that in mind, how does the following list look?

Heralds of Chaos
    • Herald of Tzeentch: Psyker (Mastery Level 3); Disc of Tzeentch 120

18 Daemonettes of Slaanesh: Alluress 167
    11 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch 99
    11 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch 99

7 Screamers of Tzeentch 175

Soul Grinder: Daemon of Slaanesh; baleful torrent 170
    Soul Grinder: Daemon of Slaanesh; baleful torrent 170

1,000 points on the dot.

Just looking for something to get me back into the game and learning how to play 7th. I'm not tied to anything in particular and I have a large range of models to choose from, so all thoughts are very welcome!

Battle-Brother

Looks pretty solid.

I might swap one unit of horrors for another unit of dnets. I'm not a big fan of casting with the horrors though, so another forward threat seems more valuable

Can't go wrong with a Disc herald with Screamers. I think having the Horrors works for these small point games. The extra Warp Charges means the Herald can summon more Daemons more easily, and/or other powers too....assuming you will be taking Malefic powers?

After you get the important Herald powers off, your Horrors, even 1 Horror! can attempt either Flickering Fire or the other Tzeentchy shooting power they get, as psychic Focus means they'll get 2 powers now. Just 1 measly Warp Charge and you have a 50/50 chance of 2D6 shots, 2 WCs and that's like a 75%? chance of at least 2D6 shots, maybe 3D6. Could come in handy.

I might also recommend fitting in a Phlegm Grinder rather than both Torrents, and making that one Nurgle. Bum rush with Slaanesh, sit back and blast with Nurgle. Or if that won't work for the points, try out the Exalted Flamer on Chariot now. Deepstrike it in and use that as the Torrent since it's S5/AP3, and you'll have that lascannon equivalent option too. And maybe it won't die if it's got some Cursed Earth nearby from the fast Herald, who might also be able to summon a twin brother, who might be able to change into a Greater Daemon the next turn! Fun fun possibilities

Veteran-Sergeant

Note horrors who roll on the CHANGE psy table get 2 powers. However if you roll on MALIFIC you then get summoning for free and get flickering fire thrown in too for 3 powers per unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    Note horrors who roll on the CHANGE psy table get 2 powers. However if you roll on MALIFIC you then get summoning for free and get flickering fire thrown in too for 3 powers per unit.
    I think a unit of Horrors can only generate 1 power from either the Discipline of Change OR the Malefic Table, because the unit only counts as Mastery 1. But they would get the Primaris power for free on either Discipline.

Mad cat is correct, all daemons auto generate the primaris power for their god deck, so the horrors being used for summoning would have 4 powers to choose from, 2 primaris and the 2 rolled ones. 11 horrors is mastery level 2, so get 2 rolls?

Veteran-Sergeant

Not quite. 11 Horrors generate 2 warp charge and so 2 casting dice but are still only mastery level 1 psykers being brotherhood of psykers and all that.

If they roll on malific for their only "Rolable" power then they get Summoning for free being the primaris for Meific. Then the chaos rule also kicks in giving flickering fire for free too from the Change powers.