BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Space Marine Chapter Confusion

Hi y'all,
    I've been wanting to learn a little bit more about Space Marines and their specific lore. I know a bit about the Dark Angels, some about the Blood Angels and a little about Space Wolves. But I'm wondering how I can learn more about the 'smaller' chapters like salamanders and Iron Fists. Also, are there countless chapters or what? Do they each have their own primarch? see, these are things I don't know...

Chaplain

Here are a couple of good sites for info on SPEHSS MARINEZ:

[url]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Marines#.U7nboJRdUrU[/url]

[url]http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Marines[/url]

Use the search functions at the sites for info on specific chapters.

Chapter-Master

Bubonicus - what is 'Spehss Narinez'? Is that some uber mature, clever way about how to refer to Space Marines?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chaplain

Nurgle's Rot makes me all wheezy when I try to pronounce SPAESS MAHRINEZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Bubonicus - what is 'Spehss Narinez'? Is that some uber mature, clever way about how to refer to Space Marines?
    Normally yes. There are plenty of "witty" nicknames and pejoratives for things in Warhammer/GW. But this particular one is related to the horrible voice acting in Dawn of War, IIRC Soulstorm. Same place that gave us Metal Bawkses! as a term for vehicles.

Chaplain

yeah.....

Brother-Captain

Be careful on the 40k wikia as it's got much lower quality control and seems to be controlled by alpha nerds who CAN'T BE WRONG even if you have citations and they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear73 View Post
    Hi y'all,
    I've been wanting to learn a little bit more about Space Marines and their specific lore. I know a bit about the Dark Angels, some about the Blood Angels and a little about Space Wolves. But I'm wondering how I can learn more about the 'smaller' chapters like salamanders and Iron Fists. Also, are there countless chapters or what? Do they each have their own primarch? see, these are things I don't know...

The links provuded should help, but a quick run down. There are about 1000 loyalist space marine chapter, give or take, on record. Of these, 9 are the original chapters founded in the 30th millenium as part of the Great Crusade. These are the Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Imperial Fists, Iron Hands, White Scars, Salamanders, Raven Guard, Space Wolves and Dark Angels. Any other chapter is descended from one of these chapters, thus can trace their lineage back to one of those chapters' primarchs.
    http://www.celestial-lions.net - witness my insanity

Battle-Brother

Thanks for all the info everyone!!!