BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default Preferred Enemy and Blasts

Hey guys, I just want to check that I've got this right. This is all from the digital rulebook;

Blast Weapons and Re-rolls

If a model has the ability to re-roll its roll To Hit and chooses to do so after firing a Blast weapon, the player must re-roll both the scatter dice and the 2D6.
    Preferred Enemy

A unit that contains at least one model with this special rule re-rolls failed To Hit.....rolls of 1 if attacking its Preferred Enemy.
    Does this mean that if - for example - I have a Leman Russ Executioner with Preferred Enemy (via Pask), I can both re-roll the Gets Hot rolls and re-roll the Blast weapon scatter?

Cheers for any input!
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Brother-Captain

Re-rolling ones to hit doesn't do anything to blasts, but I think it specifies that it works for gets hot.

You can never roll a 1 when rolling 2 dice so Preferred Enemy will never affect Scatter dice.
    Why would you want to re-roll the lowest possible scatter anyway?

Note that the Gets Hot die is not a To Hit roll nor a Scatter roll so is not covered by Preferred Enemy (for the purpose of re-rolling scatter) either.
    Last edited by Fibonacci; 07-07-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Clarify Gets Hot

You dont qualify for the trigger (1) of the reroll, so you dont get any. If triggers would not apply you would also get rerolls for prefered enemy: Space Marines when fighting eldar or tau as you just ignore a condition.

Chapter-Master

Cheers guys, was just checking as the wording was a bit wonky to me. Would have made Pask an auto-include lol!

Fibonacci, there is a separate little paragraph somewhere in the rulebook (I forget the page number) that covers Gets Hot for Vehicles and re-rolls. That's why everyone takes Pask with Executioners.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Ya,
    I have had people try to claim that you have to re-roll all dice, so that means you re-roll the scatter as well -- this is what your first post was asking, right? I believe the line you are referring to is the last line in Gets Hot and Re-rolls. "it may also re-roll Gets Hot results of 1 for weapons that do not roll To Hit." So preferred enemy works on Gets Hot rolls.

However, once you point out that you actually have to roll for Gets Hot before rolling the scatter, it makes it clear that "all dice" does not include scatter. At the point of the re-roll, scatter has not been rolled. As in you cannot roll for scatter until after you roll a 2+ for Gets Hot. I know most of us take the fast route and roll all the dice at once, but Scatter is still a separate roll from Gets Hot.

Vehicles and Gets Hot work by requiring a further roll of 1, 2 or 3 before taking a HP loss.

For what it's worth, Pask in an Executioner with plasma sponsons has about a 5% chance of losing a HP after 5 shots, re-roll 1's and then a 4+ to avoid.