BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Scout

Default PLEASE HELP! Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum 2000pts

Hi all, after awhile of searching the forums I've decided to take the plunge and make a post myself so here goes

I'm an imperial guard player and since the new codex hit I just cant decide what to field.. I'm like a kid in a sweet shop so I figured if I posted my ideas some kind soul could give me some advice on what to do so here is the list I've come up with so far

HQ

Command squad (163)
    * Lascannon
    * Camo gear (on veterans and commander)
    * Vox caster
    * Kurov's Aquila

Knight commander Pask (431)
    *Punisher
    *Heavy bolter
    *Recovery gear
    *Relic plating

*executioner
    *plasma cannons
    *recovery gear
    *relic plating

TROOPS

Infantry platoon (175)
    *command squad
    *vox

Infantry squad 1
    *heavy bolter
    *grenade launcher
    *vox

Infantry squad 2
    *heavy bolter
    *grenade launcher
    *vox

Veterans 1 (130)
    *vox
    *autocannon
    *3x plasma guns
    *forward sentries

veterans 2 (130)
    *vox
    *autocannon
    *3x plasma guns
    *forward sentries

Veterans 3 (160)
    *vox
    *2x meltagun
    *krak grenades
    *chimera woth multi laser and heavy flamer

Veterans 3 (160)
    *vox
    *2x meltagun
    *krak grenades
    *chimera woth multi laser and heavy flamer

ELITES

Tempestus Scions (90)
    *2x meltagun

FAST ATTACK

Vendetta (170)

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman russ eradicator (145)
    *recovery gear
    *heavybolters

Wyvern (65)

Fortifications

Aegis defence line (100) I haven't seen any updates for nice so not sure if this is the right cost for an ADL?
    *quad gun

And that's all I've got for now.. I do apologise for the amount of reading

All that comes to 1,831 points and this is where I get stuck haha, what should I do with my remaining points? is my list okay so far? I'd like to know what peoples opinions are on this and any advice is definitely welcome

Thank you all in advance!

Chaplain

All in all it's not a bad list. There are a couple of things I would change simply due to personal preference.

I'm not a huge fan of Veteran squads on foot. They are good shots but they still die in a stiff breeze. Even the Camo Cloaks they get aren't much help against all the stuff that ignores cover. I would either ditch the Forward Sentries and make them Grenadiers (or both if you have the points), ditch the Autocannon, and get them Chimeras or Valkyries to ride in. Or downgrade them to regular infantry and either fold them into your current Infantry Platoon or make a second one with them.

You will probably want to combine the Infantry Squads in the platoon. This both makes orders given to them more efficient and makes it harder to kill the unit or drive it off. If this is indeed the case I would lose the extra Voxcaster and maybe buy a Commissar or Priest to put in with them to boost their Leadership and/or keep them from running.

I'm not a fan of putting Plasma Cannons on tanks now that they can Get Hot and damage the thing. It's not a huge chance but still not a fan. If I want Marines to go away I take a Demolisher. Also not a fan of putting Pask in a Punisher. On average he will only get two Rending hits and with Strength 5 it's no good against heavy vehicles and at AP - many of the non-Rending hits will get stopped by personal armor. I would put him in an Exterminator as it has longer range very accurate shots and with Strength 7 it can possibly punch through anything on a Rending hit. And it's decent air defends in a pinch. Or put him in a Vanquisher if you might run into a lot of vehicles. Its long range and his accuracy will make things just go away.

For the extra points? I would get a couple more Wyverns. Even against heavy armored infantry the sheer amount of hits a full battery of the things can do will kill lots. Possibly also take a Valkyrie or two to transport your other Veterans if you decide to keep them. You could also possibly ditch the Aegis Line. A lot of things ignore cover and the Quad-gun has lost a lot of utility since it now can only snap shoot at ground targets.

A few things I would add, having switched to Guard as my main army since the new book dropped:
    -change up the command squad a bit; strip them down to just their upgrades and get them into a Chimera. Despite vehicles being somewhat "soft" in 7th, it's still a lot better than standing around outside, even with carapace and/or camo cloaks. I had camo + an aegis line + carapace and they still got dakka'd off the table in 1 turn. Also, unless I'm mistaken, you can take a Regimental Standard and still have it take effect outside the vehicle. If so, get one. Re-rolling Morale is extremely handy, especially since you're probably going to be near your table edge most of the time.

-Primaris Psykers. Get at least 2, and roll Divination. Being able to put twin-linked or 4++ on things whenever you want (assuming the dice roll your way even a little) is amazing. Plus you can attach one to your blob squad, bringing their Ld up to 9.

-Drop the LR Eradicator, either entirely, or for another LR variant. Hellhounds and Wyverns do Ignores Cover much better, and Punishers and Exterminators lay wounds out much better. I'd go with This Dave and add more Wyverns, they're simply amazing for the points.

-I've found Chimeras work best with either Multilaser / Heavy Bolter, or Heavy Flamer + Heavy Flamer. Personally, I'd add 2 melta or plasma gunners to your Command Squad and put double Flamers on their Chimera, this makes for a great "police" unit keeping pesky things like Drop Pod Dreadnoughts or outflanking infantry out of your deployment zone.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Scout

Hey guys thanks for all the ideas they've been a great help and I'm currently working on some changes to the list so here we go again...

HQ

Command squad (150)
    * Lascannon
    * Vox caster
    * Chimera

Knight commander Pask (431) decided to keep this the same although I am tempted to use the exterminator instead and move the punisher to heavy support.. I've just got a thing for the models and hopefully pasks warlord trait will stop the executioner blowing itself up
    *Punisher
    *Heavy bolter
    *Recovery gear
    *Relic plating

*executioner
    *plasma cannons
    *recovery gear
    *relic plating

Primaris psyker x2 (150)
    *Mastery level 2

TROOPS

Infantry platoon (290) these will be my backfield units the infantry squads will be combined protecting my wyverns
    *command squad
    *plasma x3
    *vox

Infantry squad 1
    *heavy bolter
    *grenade launcher

Infantry squad 2
    *heavy bolter
    *grenade launcher
    *vox

Heavy weapons squad
    *3xautocannons

Infantry platoon (230) this platoon will be advancing for objectives
    *command squad
    *melta x3
    *vox
    *krak grenades
    *power fist

Infantry squad 1
    *grenade launcher
    *krak grenades

Infantry squad 2
    *krak grenades
    *grenade launcher
    *vox

Veterans (160)
    *vox
    *2x meltagun
    *krak grenades
    *chimera
    *power fist

ELITES

Tempestus Scions (90) these will ride in the vendetta and drop out to hunt vehicles
    *2x meltagun

FAST ATTACK

Vendetta (170)

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman russ exterminator (155)
    *recovery gear
    *heavybolters

Wyvern x2 (130)

that brings me to 1,981 points I believe.. I'm really happy with the way this list is looking now but is there any more I can add? or something that has to go? again thanks for all the help so far
    Last edited by Sgt.S.Rogers; 07-08-2014 at 08:52 PM.

I'd drop the power fists. They're dreadfully overpriced for Guard, and even a Tau Shas'ui has a 1/4 chance of punching Sarge's lights out before he gets to swing. If you're worried about tanks or walkers, the Sergeant can carry Melta Bombs instead, for much cheaper.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Scout

I was quite shocked at the cost of power fists haha, looks like those models are going back on the shelf

as far as I can tell I can give melta bombs to normal sergeants but not to a veteran sergeant.. seems abit odd

so losing the power fists I can fit in some commissars or priests or would a hydra be an option?
    Last edited by Sgt.S.Rogers; 07-09-2014 at 06:26 AM.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.S.Rogers View Post
    I was quite shocked at the cost of power fists haha, looks like those models are going back on the shelf

as far as I can tell I can give melta bombs to normal sergeants but not to a veteran sergeant.. seems abit odd

so losing the power fists I can fit in some commissars or priests or would a hydra be an option?
    I would only take a Hydra if your opponents are using a lot of Flyers or Skimmers. It can only snap shoot at other targets so it's kind of meh against them. Your Vendetta is already very good air defense. I would take a Commissar or two to keep your troops in line.

Scout

Commissars it is then thanks for all the help guys

Priests, confer zealot... which will give you fearless and I find them a bit more useful for their other special rules, over standard commissars any way.

This Dave has done Pask a bit of a disservice, he is excellent in a punisher (but to make the most of it he has got to be warlord). against meq BS4 + preferred enemy = around 16 hits. 12 wounds and 4 failed saves + 2 rending so 6x dead marines, much more than you could pack under a demolisher template (unless your opponent is really bunching up). Against vehicles his re roll to penetrate will give you 4/5 rending hits = armour 12 glanced to death fairly reliably. AV 13 will be stripped of 3x hull points and even AV 14 will be glanced of 1 or 2 hull points. This is before he fires his other weapons!

Also keep the plasma, with Pask in the squad the odds of overcooking are about 1.4%!

Scout

Sorry guys haven't been on in awhile, I completely forgot to say pask will be the warlord for my force.. rookie mistake that I will try not to repeat

I was considering a priest and commissar instead of two, maybe attaching the priest to the advancing blob so they don't run and make use of war hymns in a pinch and the commissar attached to the blob squad at the back.. or should I do this the other way around?

Would the regimental standard be of any use in a chimera? or am I better off with the commissar and priest?