BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default Future "Vs Boxed Sets"

It appear GW is going to turn these 2-army boxed sets into a regular "thing"

via [URL="http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Faeit212/~3/0ijqKGlCUMU/future-of-campaign-box-sets.html"]Voice of the Chaos Gods[/URL] 7-9-2014
    GW will release other Campagin Books with included old expansions from the softcover era. Storm Claw will be not the last Campaign based boxed set, every half year there comes a new boxed sets of this kind. This Sets can be imperial guard vs. eldar, blood angels vs orks or other Themes.
    The [URL="https://www.facebook.com/mexork?ref=br_tf"]Mexican Ork[/URL] says:

Stormclaw is not replacing DV, and is a Limited Edition set. The new minis will be limited to that box.
    Last edited by Bigred; 07-09-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Well, it's one way to sell character blisters...

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Well, it's one way to sell character blisters...
    Tooling the sprues for a couple of character models vs tooling the likes of a AoBR or DV box is just much cheaper I guess. Plus it lets them shift stock of stuff that isn't moving so well without using the words 'sale' or 'discount'. I fully intend to buy a copy of Stormclaw, but its lack of regular run-of-the-mill-style Boyz is a bit of a head scratcher.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Chaplain

I actually really like this idea and think it is definitely a step forward, and a much better way to push the mini rule book as it entices both new and old players.

The only issue I have is how limited are they. I suspect these are splash releases only available for a limited time. I would rather they were available for 6 months until the next one came out, as i would like to to get this set as it is actually good value for money, but don't need either army and they would sit in my already huge painting pile for months.

I also think the whole vs aspect is nice but think maybe another type of set to do would be a Battle Brothers set, which is two armies that could be used by two players as enemies, or as one army by one person or allies for an existing army.

I know that sounds crazy, but a Dark Eldar and Eldar deal, or a Space Marine and Guard deal, or a Chaos Space marines and Daemons deal would probably sell well and i would be more inclined to buy it as i could use both lots of minis but a new player could still share.

Chapter-Master

At the risk of sounding crazy, i hope they sell a version without the mini rule book. Or else if i buy 2 or 3 boxes for multiple armoes, unique character models and campaign books, i could end up with multiple versions of the mini book!
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

It'll be the third limited edition mini 7th rulebook they've released so far.

Wouldn't wanna be the person who got the Collector's Edition, the Librarium and Sanctus Reach. You wouldn't be able to move 'em on again for even half as much.

(Edit: Also I think if you're buying it for the campaign book you'll be disappointed. I don't remember reading in the leaked WD pictures that it came with any books other than The Rules.)
    Last edited by Houghten; 07-10-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    It'll be the third limited edition mini 7th rulebook they've released so far.

Wouldn't wanna be the person who got the Collector's Edition, the Librarium and Sanctus Reach. You wouldn't be able to move 'em on again for even half as much.

(Edit: Also I think if you're buying it for the campaign book you'll be disappointed. I don't remember reading in the leaked WD pictures that it came with any books other than The Rules.)
    It has a "campaign supplement" with it, that has rules for the models in the box, plus some other stuff. Not much, but it's also the only place you'll find rules for the two characters, apparently.

[url]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=738812456184352&set=pcb.73881346285 0918&type=1&theater[/url]
    Last edited by Erik Setzer; 07-10-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Librarian

There are certainly worse ways to start a Space Wolves or Ork army.

I do hope they come out with more of these with different combinations. Even if they have a few models that you don't like you split the cost with a friend and at the very least have two forces that are, according to GW at least, relatively balanced. Plus, unique character models. That seems to get people drooling pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBored View Post
    There are certainly worse ways to start a Space Wolves or Ork army.

I do hope they come out with more of these with different combinations. Even if they have a few models that you don't like you split the cost with a friend and at the very least have two forces that are, according to GW at least, relatively balanced. Plus, unique character models. That seems to get people drooling pretty quick.

I'd love it if they used them to showcase different force sorts as well. Or maybe old rivalries. Fists vs Warriors, Ulthwe vs Chaos, Valhallans vs Orks, etc.

Chapter-Master

Wouldnt surprise me if the plastic characters are limited edition, they seem to be able to knock these things out pretty easily - and im guessing it's a combination of them being small sprues with few parts and probably Aluminium moulds (which are a lot cheaper but wear out fast).
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast