BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I remember when I first got into WFB with the Battle for Skull Pass box. It had a mini (but complete) rule book withe the two standard armies. I wanted dwarves and my friend wanted Orks. We both ended up buying the box set, swapping the models we didn't want, and ended up having two okay starter armies with the rule book for a very reasonable price (by GW standards). If these box sets will allow for that sort of thing to happen, I would be ecstatic. I haven't gotten the new rulebook yet, so I will look at this when it comes out. Maybe start a new army

Battle-Brother

I'm on board for this. It'll make it much easier for me to expand and play new armies and get more friends into the game

I really hope this is true! I will try to buy every set that comes out so I can dabble with all of the armies. Someone else mentioned that it would be nice if these are six month runs instead instant (or close to instant). That would be my second best case scenario. The best (not gonna happen) is if each boxed like this became a permanent fixture.

I think the new VS box set idea is a good one for GW. But I doubt many current players would buy them, unless they want to start one or both of the armies in the box, then it might be a good way to start another army. I wonder if quarterly would be better than every 1/2 a year? GW's been all about getting a lot out fast recently.

Brother-Captain

Yes, but this is on top of their regular release schedule, so I think every 6 months is a reasonable pace.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

This seems like a rather good idea. I think I'll end up buying Stormclaw mostly for the special characters and the discount.

Chaplain

I have worked out that if I buy Storm Claw from my local independent (Dark Sphere) it will cost £60.

For that I get some Space Wolves which I have been umming and ahhing about starting for a while now, and some Orks which I just started to get the itch to start when I saw the new Freebooterz, plus the mini rule book.

I hadn't gotten around to buying the full rule book yet, which will cost me £45. And to be honest having looked through the new edition the only thing that really interested me was the rules part as the rest is pretty much a repeat of previous editions (admittedly apart from all the photos of painted figs).

So for an extra £15 I get lots of plastic crack.

This is a very smart move from GW, as I will now buy the start of 2 new armies that I don't really need, just to pay £15 more for a rule book I don't really want....

Damn you, damn you all to hell....

I personally love this idea, not for the mini rulebook or he limited edition stuff, but just having a variety of ways into the hobby other than a single starter set. It's one of the biggest barriers to entry in my opinion, being straight jacketed into whatever the beginner's box offered.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I personally love this idea, not for the mini rulebook or he limited edition stuff, but just having a variety of ways into the hobby other than a single starter set. It's one of the biggest barriers to entry in my opinion, being straight jacketed into whatever the beginner's box offered.
    I completely agree with this. I don't think I'd ever buy one of the 'starter sets' unless one or both of the armies were armies I collected, but I think it is a cool way to get people into the hobby and I think it makes for an interesting buzz. I like the idea of the game focusing on certain fights at the stores or having 4-6 month campaigns to play through with your friends based on material from GW. Yeah, I know its a way for them to make money, but it also seems to offer a way to give some structure to the gaming environment.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I highly agree. I feel this will definitely open up more starter possibilities for many people. Getting into the hobby can certainly be daunting when starting from scratch, so having more options for people who aren't sure quite what they want to get, and just want to get themselves started quick, is certainly a perk.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast