BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Dice Rolling App

Hi everybody, I just found this very interesting app on Windows Phone that let you roll a number of dice from 1 to 40 and also Twin-Linked weapons! The app is very simple: you choose which number of dice you wanna roll and then it shows you how many "6" have been rolled, how many "5", how many "4" etc.

Apps like this one exist also on android and iOs devices I believe, and it would be very very nice to save some time during games and tournaments, in my opinion. I know, rolling phisical dice gives somewhat a sense of fairness, but when it comes to roll 48 or more dice it becomes very useful. I wouldn't use it if my opponent doesn't want to, of course, but I think if two players use the same phone/tablet or just the same app, the match remains balanced after all.

This kind of software generates pseudorandom numbers by using some mathematical tricks, that gives you a succession of an ENOURMOUS number of results, billions of results, so that in the end the roll is effectively random generated.

What do you think, it would be nice to use it in tournaments?

Battle-Brother

I downloaded one of those, and some folks at my FLGS said ixnay- I think there is just a fear that there is a cheat code that could give one person an advantage in roles. I didn't know these guys really well, as would be the case of most matchups in tournaments, but I think among friends it would be fine. I think if your opponent is good with it, than awesome. But it seems possible an opponent would not be cool with it too- if someone showed up with an app for dice rolling, I might be suspicious, especially if their rolls seem to go well and mine don't, and that can happen even with totally normal dice. :-)

D

While it does simplify having to haul around and manage tons of dice, it does present a questionable environment of cheating or not being quite as random as it should be. That and admittedly it takes the visceral thrill of rolling them bones! Just like why I prefer buying and reading paper books versus ebooks.

Ya I haven't been impressed enough with any dice rolling program to abandon actual dice. Plus there is the ever present cheating concern.

Use an app, or have a handful o'doom.....

App, handful o'doom....

App........handful o'doom.....

I'll stick to the handful o'doom ta :P
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Depends... we use it for conscripts.
    Rolling 120 dice is tiresome...

Sounds pretty cool, but there is definitely something to be said by swarming your opponent with shovelfuls of dice. ^_^

Dunno.

I've got big hands, and can probably, just about, fit 120 in cupped.....and rolling loadsa dice has a massive appeal to me. Spesh when you're watching the look on your opponents face as you just keep gathering them. Like Goku about to go Super-Sayan!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I agree about all the thrill that you get when you roll some dice by hand, I just wanted to introduce these apps in my tourneistic ambient, because since we have to rent the place where we play, we also have to observe closing hour etc. It would be a nice way to speed up those slooooooowly playing players

Occuli Imperator

Of course for the purists most random number programs are not random number generators, but are a pseudo random generator that is procedurally driven, therefore can be known and predicted and so not very random at all.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni