BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    House Escher of Necromunda Hive Primus. There is one good source of warrior women, on a recruiting world of the Imperial Fists, and thats only one one of the many Hives on one of the thousands of Hive Worlds. You have worlds where everyone has to be Rambo to survive, the women there, after 15,000 years, will be only to happy to join up. You think any neophyte knows what they're signing up to then they become an Astartes? The childbearing question is such a pathetic thing to bring up when aspirants are usually under 10, almost all from planets where fighting is the norm, they're survivors first and foremost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail233 View Post
    So how do they fill Sister of battle convents?
    Neither of these examples take into account the surgery needed to turn a person into a marine. As I said, it's a matter of finding the right combinations to make one. Most chapters have a hard enough time filling their ranks as it is with men fulfilling all the criteria.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

Thankfully, it's a deliberately-malleable setting with very few hard rules, and the process of creating a Space Marine is steeped in pseudoscience, so we don't have to worry about it being, "incorrect."
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

I think it's more the Astartes are overly fussy.

I find it curious that in the modern era, Chapters struggle to find quality recruits, when during the Great Crusade that really, seriously wasn't an issue at all for the Legions - which were comprised of hundreds of thousands of Astartes.

Now, we do have to take into account Geneseed degradation, and that there's no new sources of Geneseed - plus the culture shock the heresy brought about.

But even then, I think it's more the Chapters wanting the best of the best than the process itself.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Thomas View Post

And utterly unsubstantiated in the fluff.
    There's plenty of references to female soldiers in the imperium of man in the fluff.
    The first Cain book is about integrating two Valhallan single sex units into a mixed unit plus some side story about shooting xenos or something.
    The Lieutenant in Space Marine.
    Just two easy to find examples without any effort. It's not beyond thought that something like house Escher would provide a perfect source of recruits for the Imperial warmachine. I've got a feeling there's a reference somewhere in the background to the Necromunden 7th being a female regiment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post

Now, we do have to take into account Geneseed degradation, and that there's no new sources of Geneseed - plus the culture shock the heresy brought about.

But even then, I think it's more the Chapters wanting the best of the best than the process itself.
    It could also be the rejection rates are artificially high due to the ritualisation and lack of understanding. In the great crusade they implant a neophyte and he gets a bit green round the edges they knew what needed doing to rebalance things and make him well again. M41? bollocks lost another one...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

That is also true.

Man, I love how the true enemy - the only true enemy in 40k is ignorance.

Then I look around at our world, and really start to panic
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Baseline women cannot put on the same muscle mass as baseline men, I totally agree. But as soon as you add steroids into the equation that gap narrows massively until you have only slight variations, ones that are comparable to the variation between groups of male body builders. So by the time you graft on all the bits that go into making a Space Marine, you're going to get the same kind of result no matter what starting bodymass you began with.

The trials for applicants have very little to do with strength. They have a lot to do with courage, grit and determination. Because those are things that can't be taught; any weedy kid with enough attitude can be taught to do pushups, but a prime athlete can't be taught to run headfirst into gunfire. (That's one of the reasons the special forces trials are more about endurance than physical skills. You've got to have a certain minimum, but you get multiple chances at those bits. The hardest part is not dropping out before the end.) And that's not a gendered trait.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Indeed.

Remember, Astartes are raised well above human. They're post-human - an idealised vision of the perfect warrior.

And that's achieved through serious gene tinkering.

The whole gist of this thread is 'what if?', based on the sure and certain knowledge that the abduction of the Primarchs meant the Astartes we know today were essentially a stop gap measure - Mr Emperor Sir needed to find his kids, and that necessitated an army.

Who knows how delayed the Great Crusade might've been had the Primarch's not been scattered? We're told it was the clearing of Warp Storms that meant the Crusade was launched, but was that simply because it was Mr Emperor Sir's first chance to find them, and at least try to get his plans back on track? We'll never know.

We also know from one of the novels (I forget which, apologies) that Malcador had advocated female Astartes over male, so that at least suggests, if not confirms, it could be done - but given Mr Emperor Sir is, as far as we know, male, it may have been simple expedience - it was easier to work from his chromosomes than adapt it to a wider set.

The concept that women are less violent than men is entirely subjective, if not outright wrong. It's a societal expectation for the most part - and if you've ever seen women scrapping on a Friday night (affectionately known round my way as Bacardi Bruisers), let me tell you it's not a pretty sight at all - it's far more vicious than the 'grab, tussle, wrestle on the floor' you tend to see drunken blokes going for. I'm talking eye gouging, hair pulling, scratching, biting, strangulation - that's not the actions of a gender not disposed toward physical violence at all.

And if you wanna say, "yeah but women don't fight as well as men," let me introduce you to [URL="http://abcnews.go.com/International/women-war-meet-female-peshmerga-fighters-taking-isis/story?id=39142160"]the Peshmerga[/URL]. Kurdistan is actually far better at gender equality than most countries, and arguably better in some ways than the West. They've been part of the Kurdish military since 1992 facing off against Saddam as well as ISIS.

Not to mention many female units throughout history who were generally erased afterwards as women in war were historically seen as a dishonourable last resort. Their role was to be victims or to be protected in most societies, even when they weren't.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    There's plenty of references to female soldiers in the imperium of man in the fluff.
    The first Cain book is about integrating two Valhallan single sex units into a mixed unit plus some side story about shooting xenos or something.
    The Lieutenant in Space Marine.
    Just two easy to find examples without any effort. It's not beyond thought that something like house Escher would provide a perfect source of recruits for the Imperial war machine. I've got a feeling there's a reference somewhere in the background to the Necromundan 7th being a female regiment.
    Totally not what I was disputing.

Chapter-Master

Ah It read like you were disputing the idea of recruiting from house escher. My bad if I read that wrong.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast