BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Chapter-Master

More than that, didn't it say he didn't uphold his end of the bargain he struck with them?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

I've only just re-read it in the last 3 weeks and that was notable to me. Did Emp foresee treacehry by Chaos - or was it the other way round. When various people in the series get into the lab (it seems to get an almost daily influx of psychic visitors) did they cause the damage, or is it all just some massive holodeck episode?

All in all I get a sense of inevitability when considering the heresy. Leads me to ask, was that exactly the way Emp planned it all?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I dunno.

There's definitely hints that, perhaps, this was the Emperor's plan all along.....but it just doesn't feel very 40k to me at all.

I much prefer him thinking he's got it all planned out like a Clever Mr Emperor Sir, all the while Tzeentch is awaiting just the right moment to drop a celestial spanner in the works.

All planned? Too clean.

Oh.....that's gone wrong then - Mmmm! Futility!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Yeah, I can't help but feel that the Emperor is supposed to be the epitome of, "best laid plans of mice and men." Even a super-psychic God-human can still have his plans torn asunder by the Chaos Gods in ways he couldn't have even imagined. He was the best of us, but he was still ultimately very human.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

However, I do like the idea that a returned Emperor has at least a chance to turn the tide - a background of futility and screaming at the night is fun, but not as much fun as when there's a chance, no matter how slim, they might survive to see the new dawn.

Which is why I'm intrigued by the Black Crusade books, and Eldrad's current shenanigans - indeed all the recent 40k background where against all expectations, it seems the clock is grinding on to at least one minute to midnight after all these years.

And for me? We have AoS to thank for that. I know the usual group were all butthurt that Chaos triumphed, yet it was all for naught (Old World wasn't a Chaos victory....and that's on Archaon. They wanted it, but Archaon blew it up!), but to have actual, genuine hope in the background is very interesting paradigm shift - it's not about trying to keep that last candle burning, but seeing how many more you can light from that single flame - and can you light them faster than Chaos can snuff them? So much more interesting than 'everything you do is ultimately completely futile'. I mean, it's almost certainly completely futile...but only almost.

For those not au fait with AoS....we're currently at the same sort of stage as The Great Crusade. Mankind ascendant, pushing back the night - though with less genocide and more of a 'look, if we all just pull together now, and sort out our differences later' type alliance. Some solid gains made, but still far from enough. Whether we'll see some kind of Heresy type era (if we do, my money is on either Malekith/Malerion or Nagash being the ones, rather than the Stormcast) remains to be seen!

I really hope Black Crusade helps to lever 40k out of the corner it boxed itself into - ultimately, the victor is going to be Chaos, or Tyranids - and most likely Tyranids. Everyone else is just about holding their own. I know it's intended to be grim and dark, but you've still got to have that light. (me, I want Abaddon to break out of the Cadian Gate with a massive force, then snuff it. This will change the face of the Chaos threat. They're no longer unified, but no longer largely contained. They could be anywhere or everywhere. So much more interesting!)
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I don't want the prime threat to be tyranids or necrons - I worry someone will do an Imperial/Chaos fistbump and that is too unlikely.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I think a more dispersed Chaos threat is a greater Chaos threat.

I mean, right now, if the Imperial Forces could take out Abaddon whilst he's in the Eye of Terror, pretty much everything is ruined for Chaos - no central leader figurehead means infighting, leading a lack of organisation. That's the Imperium's best hope really - especially as the power vacuum in such a small (galactically speaking!) area would be devastating due to the attrition and murder and that.

But.....break out of the Eye with the invasion fleets? Scatter them around the Galaxy in 'about as co-ordinated as you can hope for' manner? That's powerful - forces the Imperium to spread it's forces, and particularly it's Astartes really, really thinly.

Then introduce the anarchy back to Chaos. Have Abaddon ultimately fail, and pay for that with his life (one way or another). Suddenly, you've got hundreds if not thousands or even tens of thousands of Chaos Warbands abroad in the wider Imperium, with no-one and nothing to answer to.

That could potentially relieve some pressure on the Cadian system, but at the cost of mobility elsewhere - think of the number of key worlds then requiring a permanent, heavy garrison to ward of Chaos attacks?

That to me is where Black Crusade needs to wind up - change the picture, alter the face of warfare if not the actual balance of power. Kill off some characters, but not armies (that would be really, really dumb. And nigh on impossible!)

Hmmm....

Wonder if Fabius Bile has been able to adapt Geneseed for implantation into women.

I mean, if anyone's so much as tried it, it's gonna be Fabius 'just for the lols, really' Bile. And he's the most likely to succeed, seeing he clone Primarchs and that.

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    I always liked the idea that the two 'unknown' Primarchs were women, and that's why they're unknown - with the coming of the Imperial Creed and its more explicit misogyny, they became deniable. Either that or Malcador the Sigillite had some super-secret plan for them - some Chaos Daemon that cannot be killed by a man, so he makes sure that the female marines are in hiding until this Chaos force rears its head.

That's obvious not the case, because Games Workshop, but it always struck me as an easy way to introduce female marines into the fluff without overturning years of fluff - just have it turn out that the whole 'Men only!' genetics codswallop was a lie Malcador put in place; a dark secret all Apothecaries are sworn to uphold as part of their initiation.

You could even use it to introduce a new Chaos power - bring back Malal or something.
    I believe the name is 'Malice', which, contrary to the name, was pro-Emp/mankind and wanted to HELP against the other chaos dominant powers (there's been multiple hints that there's more than 4 major chaos powers). And, seeing as GW now has the license to LoTR, and the 'I cannot be killed by man blah blah blah'. And, no $#!t, there were two, TWO!, female space marines minis made back in the 80's.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678