BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fortification Placement

I was reading about Fortifications in the new BRB and apparently we set them up along with our army now? But I didn't notice it saying if that means in our own deployment zone or in the table half?

I got myself a Skyshield Pad, gotta know where it goes!

Brother-Sergeant

It says on page 130 of the main rulebook that "it is set up with the rest of the units in the army using the same deployment rules as the other models". It goes on to say "If you decide to use the fortification as a piece of neutral scenery, then it is set up during this step. Each fortification has a fortification datasheet that describes how it is used in the game." If you don't have it then grab a copy of Stronghold Assault, it's got all the datasheets for fortifications in there.

So if you have bought it for your army and included it your army list then you deploy it just like the rest of your army inside your deployment zone. It is part of your army afterall.

Yep it even says so somewhere in the BRB. It used to be in your half, but they changed that in 7th and now any fortification purchased as part of your army goes wholly in your deployment zone, which can make a WoM defence network really difficult to do.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Restricting Fortifications to your deployment zone rather than your half did make quite a few of them largely pointless.

Brother-Captain

Aside from the Aegis Defense Line and various gun emplacements, I agree. The big forts are better used as part of an attacker/defender scenario, where the defender has plenty of space to set up a fortified base.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    Restricting Fortifications to your deployment zone rather than your half did make quite a few of them largely pointless.
    Yes and no, it kind of restricts the most dangerous ones to there original place; Apocalypse where you have the room. And now of course Planetstrike.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    Yes and no, it kind of restricts the most dangerous ones to there original place; Apocalypse where you have the room. And now of course Planetstrike.
    In the case of the Skyshield, whose ostensible "fluffy" use is to deep strike without error, being restricted to your own deployment zone is a death sentence. If your deep strike units, already delayed by coming in from reserves, now also are delayed by two additional turns (if they are lucky) to then travel across the board, they will be rendered moot. Thus, the only "fluffy" reason for the Skyshield is gone. It now exists only as an a building no one can kill (has the battlefield debris status) and allows you to start a plane on the board. In essence it is just a firebase now.

Thanks everybody. I pretty much was planning on using it as a firebase, but I remembered the suggestion of Infiltrating jump infantry to the top of one near the table half mark (which I really wanted to try ) Oh well, c'est la guerre. It will be nice to have my Deathstrikes and Wyverns up there, or Soul Grinders with Cursed Earth !

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    In the case of the Skyshield, whose ostensible "fluffy" use is to deep strike without error, being restricted to your own deployment zone is a death sentence. If your deep strike units, already delayed by coming in from reserves, now also are delayed by two additional turns (if they are lucky) to then travel across the board, they will be rendered moot. Thus, the only "fluffy" reason for the Skyshield is gone. It now exists only as an a building no one can kill (has the battlefield debris status) and allows you to start a plane on the board. In essence it is just a firebase now.
    Never really use the Skyshield except in Planetstrike games, I've only got 2 hover flyers anyway, and I don't use much DS infantry now because I was finding it got shot to pieces all too often before it had much chance to perform other than in Planetstrike where they can assault right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    Never really use the Skyshield except in Planetstrike games, I've only got 2 hover flyers anyway, and I don't use much DS infantry now because I was finding it got shot to pieces all too often before it had much chance to perform other than in Planetstrike where they can assault right off the bat.
    I used to use it as a forward anchor head from which I would launch offensive, i.e. assaults using infiltrated assault troops. This was actually quite effective. It made certain Warlord traits (and thus certain Warlords) really worth taking. I think it was a poor choice to relegate them to Deployment zone without at least allowing an upgrade to table half.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast