BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

On foot assault marines.
    From the old metals with the old assault sprues, to the modern plastics, they're just such a versatile unit to sit down and model/paint.
    And the bolter isn't in the way of the chest piece...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I always have been a sucker for straight up IG Infantry Platoons. Man the walls, men!*

*[and women]
    Wargaming Project Log: http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
    Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

First-Captain

The more I think about this and read other peoples, the more things fire off in my head, and the more ideas I get for units I want to try out for future armies. That’s usually all it takes for me, I started my Chaos Space Marine collection (small and in its infancy for sure) because I really loved the idea of Possessed Marines, after reading the Horus Heresy books, no more details in case of spoilers, but yeah, I have about 15 Possessed and I’ll be eagerly awaiting the Gal Vorbak from Forge World!

Chapter-Master

I have a favorite unit for every army but my vote goes to swooping hawks! I've used them over several editions as I just love the way they look and play.

Fire Warriors - my lists basically revolve around a, "Babysit the Fire Warrior" strategy. I just love how they look and how I imagine them moving up field, bailing out of Devilfishes and coordinating volleys of Pulse death.

In fact, through Tau Battlesuits on that. The Riptide just looks so damn cool, though he's target #1 every time I run him and going second means he eats a lot of Lascannons. Crisis Suits are the same, though the dated models for them aren't my favourite, every one of mine has been modified to at least some degree. Hell, I even love Hammerheads. It might be simpler to summarise this as, "The Tau Codex minus the Fliers." I love Kroot with their strange, Halo Jackal-esque look of pigeony doom.

Don't even get me started on the Leman Russ and other Guard tanks, though. I have too many favourite toys to really choose one!
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chaplain

I'll add my vote for the good old Leman Russ battle tank. As an armored vehicle it makes my teeth hurt. Those flat armor panels! Those shot traps! Those rivets! That non existent ground clearance! Those stupidly narrow tracks! How does anyone in the turret survive the main gun's breech when it fires? How does more than one crewman fit in there anyways?

But it's the very same goofy 40Kness that appeals to me. It's the Imperium war machine in a nutshell, all brute force and ignorance. Put the largest gun on the thing that allows it to still move. Then put more guns on it just in case. Crew comfort and survivability be damned! Now throw a ton of them at the enemy, we'll make more. This is probably why I have 26 assembled and painted and several still on sprues lying around.

This is also why I love its bigger brother the Baneblade. The Leman Russ has flaws? Well then make it BIGGER, that'll solve everything.
    Last edited by This Dave; 07-16-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Stupid auto correct strikes again

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    I'll add my vote for the good old Leman Russ battle tank. As an armored vehicle it makes my teeth hurt. Those flat armor panels! Those shot traps! Those rivets! That non existent ground clearance! Those stupidly narrow tracks! How does anyone in the turret survive the main gun's breech when it fires? How does more than one crewman fit in there anyways?

But it's the very same goofy 40Kness that appeals to me. It's the Imperium war machine in a nutshell, all brute force and ignorance. Put the largest gun on the thing that allows it to still move. Then put more guns on it just in case. Crew comfort and survivability be damned! Now throw a ton of them at the enemy, we'll make more. This is probably why I have 26 assembled and painted and several still on sprues lying around.

This is also why I love its bigger brother the Baneblade. The Leman Russ has flaws? Well then make it BIGGER, that'll solve everything.
    I love the fluff that says the STC for the Leman Russ tank was originally for a tractor for Agri-World Colonie but its engine was that efficient, it can burn pretty much anything and make it go, that it was useful as a tank for the massive and disparate guard, so they slapped on a turret and called it a day!

I have to admit, I really didn't like the Russ' design when I started playing. However, it really grew on me over time, that mish-mash of the worst aspects of pre-Cold War tank design. It has a lot of character in its ugly, brutish design, unlike the Rhino chassis which is just a box. I have to be honest, the disappointing tanks are why I can't get into Space Marines.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Ive always loved Wraithguard. I believe it was back in 2nd or 3rd edition they were av10 and had a chance to stand back up. Loved the models, loved the wraith cannon.

Necron Wraiths...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast