BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default The Rise and Rise of the 'Combo'

I am interested in the increasing prevalence of the term ‘combo’ in 40K. Whilst I am sure such things have always been out there, it seems to have been becoming more common throughout 6th and now into 7th Ed. Read any of the most popular 40K blogs and you will see it used more and more.

What is a combo? I understand this to mean a group of units who when used together, the combined results of their special rules/abilities and/or their wargear are highly efficient and deliver a greater effect than they would do if used in isolation of each other. Not all combos are deathstars, but a lot of deathstars would seem to be combos.

Neither would I consider a unit and its transport used for best effect, a combo per se – for example Sternguard in a drop pod. That is just tactics.

Examples of combos may be things like a psyker who reduces a unit’s Ld, followed by an attack that works against said unit’s Ld instead of the normal T (An early example from Codex Daemonhunters with assassins). Or, using allies to create an unmovable super unit. Maybe like a guard blob, with a Commissar, a Priest and then say Azrael to give all 50 a 4++.

So, having established what we are talking about by the term ‘combo’, there are some questions to be asked. Combos seemed to be a bring back from Warmachine, where an entire gameplan can be based on bringing off the desired effect of your combo. But is this good for 40K? Many players comment they would rather win by skill than the random effects also becoming more common in the last 2 editions – but if a combo has a disproportionate affect, is the game being decided by skill on the tabletop, or list building? After all, list building is surely a part of the game – but it can be done with no knowledge, flair or panache just by pressing print on the latest cookie cutter internet list.

So, combos. The latest WAAC fad, or part of the game and here to stay? One thing is for certain, with unbound and allies a staple part of the game in 7th, we’re all likely to be exposed to combos and forewarned is to some extent, forearmed.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Synergy.

Synergy is a good thing.

It changes up the game, and in theory, should help promote variety.

The fact that a handful of people will freely abuse this just to bag wins is just a downside to any game ever made.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Occuli Imperator

Combos or synergy has been in 40k as you say for quite awhile. Though I think at one stage it wasn't really thought of as a "combo" like a commisar and guard blob. Solid combo that the one enhances the other.

I think it is a "good" thing. It adds a level of tactical expertise so you end up with something that is worth more than the sum of its parts.

With these simple combos (unit+character) from the same codex these tend to get better the bigger the unit. So for instance Lemartes with a 3 man Death Company is good, Lemartes with a 30 man Death Company is crazy.

Yet, unlike something like the Bonding Knife, it isn't possible to price these for the scalability of the cost of this combination so they can be overly/under costed based on the total size.

With the ability then to take allies and then these allies be able to interact with their special rules you then increase these sorts of comboninations "exponentially".

My biggest concern with them is you end up with people being told "oh you are playing eldar & dark eldar therefore you must take this combination". This is a concern for me and you have it all over the shop, people thinking that there is one way to 40k and with that it misses out on all these lovely different synergies that may or may not be optimal or fluffy
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Yup.

Phrases I utterly despise are along the lines of 'sub-optimal'. Put your e-peen away. Nobody has played anything like enough games to be able to make such a statement. Just because you consider it good, doesn't actually make it so!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Its when they've not even played a game and make the judgements on "Sub-Optimal" units or "points efficient combos" that really gets to me.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

synergy is probably the most poorly used buzz word in 40k.

The good kind is things like the sanguinary priest, AM orders or psykers. and thats great, force multipliers are a good thing.

The bad kind is the kind every apologist starts repeating when the nids are discussed, throwing more points/units at a unit/combo just to get the models to do their basic job/not kill themselves, is TERRIBLE codex design
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

First-Captain

Actually, I'd not say any of those things are synegistic, as they're doing the one job they're intended to do, not working better together with another unit to do a job even better.

In fact, I'd say that Tyranids need to be used in combinations with each other, each allowing another part of the swarm to do its job, that is synergy.

Because you don't want to use your army in that way doesn't mean its bad codex design.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post

In fact, I'd say that Tyranids need to be used in combinations with each other, each allowing another part of the swarm to do its job, that is synergy.
    Because you don't want to use your army in that way doesn't mean its bad codex design.

point made?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Occuli Imperator

I think that the mono-codex synergies are quite well know and used fairly regularly.

Priests + Any BA unit
    DC + Chaplain

Some are so ubiqutious that we don't even see it as a combo and instead it becomes outstanding not to see it.
    Boyz + Nob w/ PKlaw & Boss Pole
    Painboy + Nobz (though I never really got the points of units of nobz if I am honest)
    Any ork vehicle + red paint

it is as we move forward with new codecii being released that we see more and more different combos that may or may not be used together for effect.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    I think that the mono-codex synergies are quite well know and used fairly regularly.

Priests + Any BA unit
    DC + Chaplain

Some are so ubiqutious that we don't even see it as a combo and instead it becomes outstanding not to see it.
    Boyz + Nob w/ PKlaw & Boss Pole
    Painboy + Nobz (though I never really got the points of units of nobz if I am honest)
    Any ork vehicle + red paint

it is as we move forward with new codecii being released that we see more and more different combos that may or may not be used together for effect.
    I dunno mate, 7th made a big step into really putting the brakes on some of the cross faction force multiplication, particularly where tau and eldar were concrened,

Id expect to see the mono-codex force multipliers remain, but I wouldn't really expect a lot of cross detachment buffs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast