BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    Yup, unless the Super Heavy Walkers have a special rule to ignore them. I'll go look.

- - - Updated - - -

It is as I feared; GW has struck again with their dreaded vague rules fog of war. Tank Traps are specifically listed and impassable to all vehicles except for key exceptions. Walkers are not listed among these. Under walkers it says they move like infantry. This will give some people the notion that Walkers ignore Tank Traps since they move as infantry. However, since they are STILL vehicles and not listed in the exemptions, the rules say they can't pass over them. Funny stuff and fodder for many arguments I'm sure.
    I was under the (possibly incorrect) impression though that knights were super heavy; and that super heavy stuff ignored terrain for movement? I'm sure the Baneblade does. I don't even think it has to do DT tests.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    I was under the (possibly incorrect) impression though that knights were super heavy; and that super heavy stuff ignored terrain for movement? I'm sure the Baneblade does. I don't even think it has to do DT tests.
    Well give me a page number because I'm looking for it and so far come up with nothing of the sort. All I find Super Heavies got was "Move Through Cover".

Well give me a page number because I'm looking for it and so far come up with nothing of the sort. All I find Super Heavies got was "Move Through Cover".
    You are correct; but Move through cover means they also auto pass DT tests. So I was correct (partially) also.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    You are correct; but Move through cover means they also auto pass DT tests. So I was correct (partially) also.
    Partially yes, but Tank Traps are impassible so the fact remains that a cheap upgrade on the Aegis or the Skyshield make it them the ultimate defense against Knights and even Titans. I suppose one could block access to even getting on top of the Skyshield easily with them.

Chapter-Master

Yup, unless the Super Heavy Walkers have a special rule to ignore them. I'll go look.

- - - Updated - - -

It is as I feared; GW has struck again with their dreaded vague rules fog of war. Tank Traps are specifically listed and impassable to all vehicles except for key exceptions. Walkers are not listed among these. Under walkers it says they move like infantry. This will give some people the notion that Walkers ignore Tank Traps since they move as infantry. However, since they are STILL vehicles and not listed in the exemptions, the rules say they can't pass over them. Funny stuff and fodder for many arguments I'm sure.
    I think it is totally up to what the terrain looks like.
    If your model could actually stand on them (feet wise) it is passable (I would say dangerous, though). If the tank traps were spines, and your walker couldn't step over them, or fit in between, then it would be impassable.

Again, this is all stuff that should be discussed before the game begins...
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    I think it is totally up to what the terrain looks like.
    If your model could actually stand on them (feet wise) it is passable (I would say dangerous, though). If the tank traps were spines, and your walker couldn't step over them, or fit in between, then it would be impassable.

Again, this is all stuff that should be discussed before the game begins...
    If someone has paid for Tank Trap upgrades, they function as Tank Traps and function per the rules. If they are just random terrain pieces that happen to look like Tank Traps, I agree with you 100%.

Tank Traps appear to cost 15pts each and have a maximum length of 6" (so I guess you could make some that are square, 6" each length. You can buy up to six of them. In theory this means a Skyshield, for an extra 90pts could have 36" of protective barrier (which also provides 4+ cover save to those behind it). The Tank Traps themselves can be placed up to 6" away from the Skyshield so you could easily create a quite effective barrier. Interesting stuff. 75+90=165pts. It isn't cheap at that level of castling up but still a bargain if you find yourself facing certain kinds of opponents and are built around a fire base concept.

Wouldn't a 6" x 6" tank trap be a tad like modeling to advantage? Not that I don't like the idea, especially of having 6 of those around my Skyshield

All that would make a fantastic AstraM zone, about as ideal as it gets! I wonder if maybe 3 tanglewires and 3 tank traps might be the way to go, sort of staggered to stop transports, then give some dangerous terrain to the best disembarkment spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Krungharr View Post
    Wouldn't a 6" x 6" tank trap be a tad like modeling to advantage? Not that I don't like the idea, especially of having 6 of those around my Skyshield

All that would make a fantastic AstraM zone, about as ideal as it gets! I wonder if maybe 3 tanglewires and 3 tank traps might be the way to go, sort of staggered to stop transports, then give some dangerous terrain to the best disembarkment spots.
    Well it wouldn't be modeling for advantage so much as modeling to make people happy who insist on seeing Tank Trap big enough to justify the fact that Super Heavies can't cross them. A normal looking Tank Trap would probably be 6" long and 2-3" wide. Making it bigger would make people happy who demand a realistic rather than representative bit of terrain. I grant, however, that doing such would affect Infantry and Bikers in a negative way and thus would come across as modeling for advantage. You can't please both people. My advice is just make really cool looking Tank Traps at least 6" long and no deeper than 6". Most people are fine as long as they look cool.

Chapter-Master

If someone has paid for Tank Trap upgrades, they function as Tank Traps and function per the rules. If they are just random terrain pieces that happen to look like Tank Traps, I agree with you 100%.
    You still have to abide by the rules. If you can walk over them, you are fine, but if you cannot actually have the model on top, that's impassible terrain, even if you 'move like infantry'.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast