BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Adamtnine lance formation + Knight Warlord = ooooo?

So I picked up Sanctus reach and after devouring the fluff in it I turned to the new formations. Naturally the first one I read through was the knight formation which lets you re roll invulnerable saves if you're within 3 inches of another knight in the formation. However this got me thinking about if one could nominate the member of a formation to be my Warlord who gets the 'free' seneschal upgrade. So I went back and had a glance at the FAQ which updated the rules on Knight armies.

For those unfamiliar with it the link is here... [url]http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer-40k/7th-faq/Imperial_Knights_v1.0_May14.pdf[/url]

Now someone correct me if I am wrong here but according to what is written there (and over writes what was originally in the codex) so long as I have three knights one of them can be the warlord. They do NOT have to be the primary detachment in order for the Knight to become a warlord. I simply have to have 3 Imperial Knights in my list.

Furthremore the other knights would be able to make use of the Knightly ranks table as it stipulates that you may choose to use it when warlord traits are chosen.

So do I have any of this wrong? Can I really do both of those things for all 3 knights in that formations, or just make one the Warlord?

Your warlord can only come from your primary detachment, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Daedulus View Post
    Your warlord can only come from your primary detachment, right?
    In 7th, whichever Detachment contains the model chosen as your Warlord becomes your Primary Detachment. However, the rules also state you must declare your Warlord when choosing your army, so you couldn't for example swap Warlords between games of a tournament.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Actually according to the way the rule is written in the Imperial Knights FAQ your warlord CAN be a knight even if it is not the primary detachment under one of two conditions. It's one reason I included a link to the FAQ as it basically rewrites the knight army rules from the codex.

The two different conditions are...

1) If you have at least three knights

2) You have a knight and no character models in your force list.

If you meet either one you can choose a knight as a warlord, it becomes a character model, and gains an automatic seneschal upgrade. However it can only roll on the knight warlord table.

So my question is. Does this mean a unit from a formation can be a warlord as the army list will be containing three knights?

There is nothing restricting a model from a formation from being your warlord.
    Join my Crusade!
    http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-PLCIKYCABW8PG

Hrmm well that seems like that's that then. I was worried I had missed something due to having to reference a three books, and a FAQ that rewrote most of one of those book's pertinent rules. XD

If a model from a formation could not be your warlord, half the new ork formations wouldn't work. "Hey you can waagh every turn if your warlord is from this formation! PS: Your warlord is not actually allowed to be from this formation."

Yes you can have your warlord be from a formation or any detachment except allied detachments. Whichever way you take a Knight as a warlord, it's faction will become the primary detachment. Note that not having any characters in the army you can elect any model in the army to be your warlord though the Imperial Knight's FAQ for being a warlord was necessary because it functions somewhat differently than if you were to elect another "non-character" model...
    Last edited by Duo Sonata; 08-01-2014 at 02:01 AM.