BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Initiate

Default Wanting some tips on selling my 40k models

Hello everyone,

Just as the title reads, I'm looking into selling some of my models that I'm no longer using/playing games with.

I have two army's I'm wishing to sell but they're both at various stages between still on the sprue to painted. (not fantastic quality but I am trying)

So I'm just wanting to get everyone's opinions on what would you buy and what's your experience of buying/selling models yourself.

Some questions I have:

Would trying to sell the army's as large groups be worth while or selling them in smaller groups/squads be better?

Would you only purchase fully assembled and painted models?

Is partially assembled fine or would you steer clear?

How much would you pay? eg 20% cost price for still in bits etc.
    (This is mostly for assembled or still on spure's, understand painting depends on the skill )

Would you pay more for painted models?
    (have an airbrush that I'm trying to skill up on so trying to paint models for easier selling isn't a problem)

All tips and hints would be welcome, since this will be my first time trying to sell some items on ebay.

Also the two army's in question are Tau and Grey knights, just in case anyone was wondering.

Cheers in advance,

Occuli Imperator

I would rather puchase on spure personally speaking. That way I know what I have and haven't got. When I do buy painted the first thing that I do is strip them down anyway.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

My preference is to purchase unassembled or if I can't get that then assembled but no paint on it except maybe an undercoat. I've been stripping paint off of a few models recently and the time investment in it isn't really worth it for me.

In terms of costs. I'd consider 70% (i.e. 30% off) of retail for unassambled. 50-60% for assembled / undercoated. I wouldn't consider painted unless it was a model that I *really* wanted.

Me personally, wouldn't buy a "pro painted" model simply because I enjoy painting thigns myself and the sense of accomplishment I get from finishing my own models. But in order to get any value / profit on a paitned model, it would need to be a high quality paint job.
    http://www.celestial-lions.net - witness my insanity

I have had some success on ebay. There seems to be roughly two camps , to my experence. One is the on sprue, or close to it group because these are the DIYers. The other is the 100% done group, because they can't/won't/ don't have the time/skill/interest.

The things I try to remember are:
    1) be honest with yourself about your paint quality. It's value isn't what you put into it, it's what someone else is willing to pay for it.
    2) pictures, pictures, pictures
    3) ebay and paypal are in favor of the buyer, be honest and go a little extra distance for the buyer
    4) document everything (total CYA: cover your *** - tracking numbers, invoice, etc...)
    5) everyone loves a bargin. Lower prices move faster, higher prices may take more time. So which is more important: less money faster, or more money later. I usually will start an auction at 1/2 to 2/3 retain with a buy it now with what I would really like for the item(s), and that has served me well time and again.

Again, just just my experence... I hope it helps.

It's much easier to spend <$100 and especially <$50 for small force as opposed to a larger army. IMO, unless you have a superbly-painted large army, by trying to sell as one big package you're losing out on potential buyers so you'll get less in total. Conclusion: sell by squads or small groups that you are willing to let go for ~$50.

I see smaller $$ auctions getting close to common discounted retail prices anyway (~20% off & $0 to $5 shipping) for un-assembled & unpainted, and in many cases exceeding it (I guess many aren't aware of the common online discount stores or just build up a psychological attachment to the listing). Big armies ($200+) tend to get no bids or end up auctioning for much less, from what I've seen, though I don't bid on them even if there's a 30% discount because shelling out $200+ at a time for stuff I don't need or want in the first place is psychologically painful.
    Last edited by hyudun; 07-21-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Initiate

Cheers guys for all your input, this will really help me out.

Most of this was how I thought I should do it, like not bothering with painting etc but it's heck of alot more assuring to me hearing it from others and their opinions/experences.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

Cheers again

Personally i only browse ebay for non painted (or at tops up to primed - non converted) units. I do try to find big savings for relatively large part of army (ie more than a squad with a transport). Most looked after are those leman russ squadrons or groups of rhinos / chimeras that someone wants to let go. Also ~50 model unassembled or up to primed groups of infantry (guardsmen or grey knight strike squads).

Also, remember to add customisation options (even for free) if you don't need them and don't want to run a bitz shop. Buying models that have wrong weapon setup for the buyer will still be more easily considering them if he gets the weapons he wants with them..

Chapter-Master

If you put up stuff for roughly 50% msrp, you can probably get takers. Much more than that, and people will probably look elsewhere. I'd avoid selling in too large of batches as well, people don't want to drop $500 on the spot very often, even if it's a good deal.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.