21. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

3 14.29%

11 52.38%

4 19.05%
  • 2500+

3 14.29%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've always preferred bigger games(1850-2000), it makes me feel like I'm actually playing a battle as opposed to smaller unit based games(<500). If I could afford it, I'd play apocalypse(3000+) all the time and play with the big guns

1200 points is my sweet spot for fantasy , just enough troops to look like an army but a small amount of models so the games go quick.

I am still working on my Orc army so I can give any input.

i like to play games from 1500 points and onwards just because the games get epicer (if ever that's a word) and being able to be proud to see a full army on the field to face whatever apocalyptic force out there, even if i lose i would have the most enjoyment playing the biggest game out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarg View Post
    i like to play games from 1500 points and onwards just because the games get epicer (if ever that's a word) and being able to be proud to see a full army on the field to face whatever apocalyptic force out there, even if i lose i would have the most enjoyment playing the biggest game out there.
    Well it gets more expensive; we can agree on that. Epic has nothing to do with size.

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    I love small, quick games but every now and then, when I have the time, its nice to have a 3000 point blowout with all the toys, I think more than 1500, a lot of the tactical challenge of the game disappears as you tend to be able to get more overpowered nonsense and most armies are able to cover all the bases.

I think 1200 is about right for my liking.

This is not the fault of the game but the players. Just because you can doesn't mean you have to.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

I think it would be interesting to do a survey of this, and get rough ideas of what standards are common in what areas. However, I don't think BOLS has a good method of doing that without some super-huge unwieldy poll. For me, games around the 1000-to 1500 pt mark are best. Plenty of flavour, have to make some hard choices over options and the game doesn't take too long.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Occuli Imperator

I think that that is it really.

There may be a difference between your favourite point scale and how you play it.

I once played a 30,000pt game which was great fun, but took all weekend to play. It was great fun, but I wouldn't want to play that game each week.

Evening games 1-1.5k games are fine in terms of time. At the weekends it can expand to twice that without too much difficulty.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    This is not the fault of the game but the players. Just because you can doesn't mean you have to.
    The problem is that indeed you kinda "have to".
    Target priority is not a difficult thing. Most weapons do not mind if you point them at a 20 point model or a 4 point model.
    When 3 units of Guardians face a Leman Russ Battle Tank, they will all die a horrible death.
    If 2 units of Guardians and a unit of Fire Dragons face a Leman Russ Battle Tank, they still will die a horrible death since all the tank has to do is getting rid of the Dragons (which is as easy for him as shooting the guardians).
    If finally 3 units of Fire Dragons face a Leman Russ Battle tank, the tank has a high probability to die, while you will still lose one or two units of dragons.
    The reason why you spam units is in most cases is not "haha this unit is invincible!" but more "I need at least ONE of these units arriving at the enemy to do at least something". Thus you are forced to "spam" said unit unitl you feel comfortable.
    Likewise if you have an expensive and strong unit you want it to survive and not going "booooom" due to a 20 points barrage S9 AP2 template with unlimited range. So this kinda forces you again to take as much precaution as possible and leads to buffed up deathstars.

due to a 20 points barrage S9 AP2 template with unlimited range.
    What fires that?
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Master of Ordnance from IG
    its Ap3 my fault. Also "template" is not the correct english word.. its large blast.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast