BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    This is why none of my Tau lists are built around a gunline, because A, it's unimaginative and dull, and B, that's not how they're meant to fight in the fluff anyway.
    I don't mind facing a Tau gun-line as it is a challenge, but oh yes the background/gameplay dissonance annoys me to no end. It's good Tau are so much more popular now with the new codex but I swear at least 80% of those new players have no idea what "Mont'ka" or "Kauyon" are. Tau don't believe in a static defence and are constantly adapting and mobile, that is what made them such a deadly foe in the Damocles Crusade. This is also why I think Darkstrider is awesome!
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

People tend to favor what works. They are very mercenary that way and I can hardly fault them for adapting to military efficiency in a military war game. The mechanics of 40K don't favor a highly mobile army. Not even the addition of the crazy, Candyland Maelstrom Missions overcomes the fact that the size of the battle field combined with the range of the weapons eliminates the need for a highly mobile force. The fact that a game is also limited to five to seven turns also factors in. A true mobile strike force works on attrition, i.e. the ability to move in and out to wear an opponent down. You get in, you hurt them, you get out. Repeat.

The game simply doesn't reward this in practical application and so people aren't going to try and pay it lip service. The closest thing the Tau have to this is the ability for their Suits to jump away in the Assault Phase, but since there isn't anywhere they can jump that is far enough away from being blasted... you get the point. Most Tau players pour on the one thing that they have going for them in practical application, i.e. volume of fire. I have fought a few Tau players who pay lip service to the ideas. I commend them and respect their effort. That isn't to say they did as well. Tau that don't shoot you off the board before you reach them lose in my experience. However, I am interested in hearing about some alternate tactics that have been successful. If you have some, get the word out and perhaps we will see some different builds.

My lists tend to orient around aggressively charging up the field and intimidating my opponent. It's often quite unexpected, and can be done with a few, very durable units and some distractions.

This is also why I think Darkstrider is awesome!
    I run him Outflanking with 12 Fire Warriors. He can put a lot of hurt down on a arrival, even against MEQs with a little support! Also gets a Troops unit into their backfield, which is tough to do with Tau.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

My lists tend to orient around aggressively charging up the field and intimidating my opponent. It's often quite unexpected, and can be done with a few, very durable units and some distractions.

I run him Outflanking with 12 Fire Warriors. He can put a lot of hurt down on a arrival, even against MEQs with a little support! Also gets a Troops unit into their backfield, which is tough to do with Tau.

Well give us a list and highlight the durable options. I'm not arguing with you. I'm not a Tau player so I lack the credentials to do so. I'm saying you need to be specific so people know what you are talking about. I've yet to run into a durable Tau unit that can do what you are talking about. I don't doubt they exist but clearly I'm not running into them. I hate the volume of fire Tau utilize so I'm generally thrilled when they come at me aggressively because it means that I can reach them or that my own return fire can double tap.

[URL="https://docs.google.com/document/d/12-toJjvmwWPOr1-BkEcUtdnTR4yC3t3iXh08ABjotfA/edit?usp=sharing"]Here's the list.[/URL]

The Commander attaches to the Crisis Team and hammers light vehicles, while the Riptides charge shields and advance. The Hammerheads pick off key targets along with the Riptides. Where possible, I run Tetras instead of Pathfinders here.

The aim is simply to continue advancing with the Riptides to draw AT fire from the Hammerheads, while weakening their forces enough that the Outflankers have little to worry about.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chaplain

[URL="https://docs.google.com/document/d/12-toJjvmwWPOr1-BkEcUtdnTR4yC3t3iXh08ABjotfA/edit?usp=sharing"]Here's the list.[/URL]

The Commander attaches to the Crisis Team and hammers light vehicles, while the Riptides charge shields and advance. The Hammerheads pick off key targets along with the Riptides. Where possible, I run Tetras instead of Pathfinders here.

The aim is simply to continue advancing with the Riptides to draw AT fire from the Hammerheads, while weakening their forces enough that the Outflankers have little to worry about.
    That's actually a lot more doable with the new Tau codex than before. It used to be if you god close with Tau you'd get bum rushed. Now with the overlapping Overwatch it's not a bat tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    That's actually a lot more doable with the new Tau codex than before. It used to be if you god close with Tau you'd get bum rushed. Now with the overlapping Overwatch it's not a bat tactic.
    It is more doable in this edition, but I see why I don't run into it. I'm a CSM player and have access to Dirge caster. I rarely fear Overwatch. For this tactic to work on me it would key on eliminating my vehicles entirely before I act and that would just draw a lot of fire away from my more dangerous units. I'll have to suggest this list for experimentation to some of my Tau opponents though and see how they fare with it.

If you just want to take the list apart to show how unfun it is to face then how about an unbound list of 30 squads of 3 Death company? (50 points left for weapon upgrades or maybe an attack bike) He'll waste most of his firepower on overkill and won't stop enough of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
    If you just want to take the list apart to show how unfun it is to face then how about an unbound list of 30 squads of 3 Death company? (50 points left for weapon upgrades or maybe an attack bike) He'll waste most of his firepower on overkill and won't stop enough of them.
    that's not the goal. If I were to do that the simple answer is to enforce a list swap, where he can see how totally unfun it is to play against (he has got the memo... we're not exactly subtle when we feel someone's abusing the gentleman's agreement of fun play at the FLGS). the goal is to learn how to beat the list with a balanced list that wont be crippled when facing other armies.

Quote Originally Posted by clever handle View Post
    that's not the goal. If I were to do that the simple answer is to enforce a list swap, where he can see how totally unfun it is to play against (he has got the memo... we're not exactly subtle when we feel someone's abusing the gentleman's agreement of fun play at the FLGS). the goal is to learn how to beat the list with a balanced list that wont be crippled when facing other armies.
    Drop & Pop. That is how you do it. You can build balanced Drop & Pop lists that are good against a wide variety of lists. Drop Pod armies are all the rage right now too since they are Objective Secured and you can land them at objectives with near pinpoint accuracy. You are NEVER going to beat Tau at their own game. You aren't going to beat them in a shooting war. You are unlikely to beat them them with an assault army... "into the valley rode the three hundred"... so your best bet if you want to be an all comer's type of army is some variation of Drop & Pop.

- - - Updated - - -

My previous comments being said, I don't think the guy is violating any gentleman's agreement. He is playing the game and using the tools Tau get. That's it.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast