BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Question I need some advice for formations for nurgle daemons

My collection so far that i use for warhammer 40k but i have found a way to use for fantasy

Great unclean one (Games workshop)
    Great unclean one (Forge world)

2 Heralds
    1 Herald on a Palanquin

2 Plagueridden
    2 Standard Bearers
    2 Musicians
    24 Plaguebearers

1 Plaguebringer on a Plague Drone
    1 Musician on a Plague Drone
    1 Standard Bearer on aPlague Drones
    4 Plague Drones

2 Beast of Nurgle

6 Nurglings

2 Daemon Prince with wings of nurgle

So my question is what should i get more of and what should formations do work and dont work in a game of warhammer fantasy for this sort of army.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

I see epidemius is a must have i love his buffs but what if i stuck him with a unit of plague drones as there both monstrous cavalry?

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    I see epidemius is a must have i love his buffs but what if i stuck him with a unit of plague drones as there both monstrous cavalry?
    Epidemius is exceedingly good. I'm not sure if I would put him with the Plague Drones as they'll lose some of their advantages and he may become isolated. Best to hide him behind a building or in a bearer bunker.

I think you should certainly pick up some more plague bearers and then consider some more beasts - plaguebearers are good and become great with the tally up. Beasts are just BEAST - they're extremely difficult to clean out and can do ok damage too.
    Last edited by The_Gonk; 07-21-2014 at 02:45 PM.

would Epidemius be able to join a unit of beasts of nurgle to provide a nice tanky gaurd also they can accept challangeis in his stead and any attack of a 5+ will auto wound due to his Lesser Locus of Virulence? Hehe Gaurd dogs of nurgle i guess. So doing the maths to make 2 ranks 5 beast of nurgle + epidemius is about 500 points in total
    Last edited by Xaric; 07-21-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Chapter-Master

The problem with sticking him in a unit is he can get target individually in them unless they are the same type, which beasts are not. Whisk the does reasonably well in combat, it simply isn't worth the risk. Anyone who knows what he does will throw everything they can at him to the exclusion of everything else as he makes your army virtually unkillable. As honk says, just hide him. I also agree with him on the beasts, they are horrible to play against.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Thats why i was going to stick him with plague drones they are the same type problem is plaguedrones have a movment of 1 and are hovering and he has a movment of 4 and not hovering so i am assuming he cant join that unit?

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    The problem with sticking him in a unit is he can get target individually in them unless they are the same type, which beasts are not. Whisk the does reasonably well in combat, it simply isn't worth the risk. Anyone who knows what he does will throw everything they can at him to the exclusion of everything else as he makes your army virtually unkillable. As honk says, just hide him. I also agree with him on the beasts, they are horrible to play against.
    I don't know what you're talking about, Beasts are lovely to play against! :

Don't stick Epi with the Plaguedrones - they'll be lumped with his lower movement and die.

Don't stick him in Plaguebearers, he'll be targeted, and doesn't benefit from LOS! due to different unit type.

Hide him as best as you can. He's fairly handy on his own, so should be able to handle most chaff that gets thrown at him.

Also, ditch the Daemon Princes, they're really not worth it for DoC in Fantasy.

Best advice would be to bulk up the Plaguebearers to a unit of 40, bung a hearld with the Regen locus in there, and another as BSB, both Level 1. Take level 4 on your GUO and take an Exalted Gift - if you roll anything other than a 6, take the Eternal Blade. If you roll a 6 take an Eternal Blade and whatever you rolled on the lesser table (hopefully ASF for maximum enjoyment!). That gives you all the spells of Nurgle, and you're looking to get off the Curse of The Leper + Rancid Visitations combo.

I find 2 units of 3 Beasts to be VERY effective, but other people claim running them individually. Probably best to have a play around and see how they work for you.

A Soulgrinder is definitely worth it if you're running an Epi list. Give him either the Stonethrower upgrade and sit back, or give him the flamethrower and run him forward. He's got high toughness, a 4+ AS and a 5+ WS so should be alright as long as you don't bog him down in a unit that has a high level of static combat res, and his weapons let him get the tally going Turn 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Metacarpi View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about, Beasts are lovely to play against! :

Don't stick Epi with the Plaguedrones - they'll be lumped with his lower movement and die.

Don't stick him in Plaguebearers, he'll be targeted, and doesn't benefit from LOS! due to different unit type.

Hide him as best as you can. He's fairly handy on his own, so should be able to handle most chaff that gets thrown at him.

Also, ditch the Daemon Princes, they're really not worth it for DoC in Fantasy.

Best advice would be to bulk up the Plaguebearers to a unit of 40, bung a hearld with the Regen locus in there, and another as BSB, both Level 1. Take level 4 on your GUO and take an Exalted Gift - if you roll anything other than a 6, take the Eternal Blade. If you roll a 6 take an Eternal Blade and whatever you rolled on the lesser table (hopefully ASF for maximum enjoyment!). That gives you all the spells of Nurgle, and you're looking to get off the Curse of The Leper + Rancid Visitations combo.

I find 2 units of 3 Beasts to be VERY effective, but other people claim running them individually. Probably best to have a play around and see how they work for you.

A Soulgrinder is definitely worth it if you're running an Epi list. Give him either the Stonethrower upgrade and sit back, or give him the flamethrower and run him forward. He's got high toughness, a 4+ AS and a 5+ WS so should be alright as long as you don't bog him down in a unit that has a high level of static combat res, and his weapons let him get the tally going Turn 1.
    I tend to agree with what you're saying but I think it's worth considering a bunker. The bunker will still give him some limited protection from shooting and these dirty elven days that can be worth having!

I can't stand the soulgrinder myself but that's just because I hate the model!

Well Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and this thread caught my attention. I figured I would chime in and give you my incite. For me it depends on a couple things.

1 do you want to play in competitive tournaments or for fun?
    2 do you want to stay mono god or add more?
    3 how cheesy do you want to get?

If you would like to stay mono god I would add in a lot more beast of nurgle around 8 more, a unit of 6 and one of 4. I would also flush out a PB block to about 40 men and give them the plus one move banner. I would have epi in this block as long as you’re not worried about cannons and catapults.

You can keep him alive very easy and within the rules. When you make your big papa nurgle take the 75 point item and a 25 point item. If they have cannons and you are afraid they are going to pick out Epi take the portagliph instead of the big weapon. If not take the weapon combo d3 to most of your stats and ASF. Two soul grinders with ether the flame thrower or stone thrower would get your tally up fast.
    "Side note: The tally still works if Epi is in the glyph as long as he is not dead it continues."

Now if you want to get even more competitive you can always add skull cannons and horror blocks to round out the army. 2 skull cannons and one soul grinder is a very scary site.

If playing for fun I find it best to stay mono god and charge forward and watch you little guys swarm your opponent tons of fun. Either way I love nurgle and think they are one of the coolest armies to play.