BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Vyper View Post
    Yep, true, but this topic started as a question, does it make Banshees better...and still no one wants to try them, so there´s our answer
    Sadly enough I can never find a good reason to use Banshees outside of silly basement games. I'm also always trying to justify playing the harlequins too. For the high points investment they rarely deliver as they die like flies whenever anything can see them. So many bad units, so little time...

Battle-Brother

3 Close Quarters Units are essentially available to the general of Eldar, Banshees are fast but weak, Scorpions are slow but tough, harlequins are somewhat oddballs. Half and Half.

I see Banshees as underestimated spacemarine squishers, ap 3 hitting first because of reducing the enemies initiative , then on 3s and a 5+ to wound isn't bad, then also run faster than any Eldar on foot , especially with Jain Zar with her 1" additional run distance.

Let's be honest, if you roll up with Banshees people will think bad press of them, but drop them into a spacemarine squad and watch shock and awe as they tear through power armour.

Let's be honest, if you roll up with Banshees people will think bad press of them, but drop them into a spacemarine squad and watch shock and awe as they tear through power armour.
    They tear through power armor but not through the marines Toughness. Also no Nades mean that the mask will make them strike simulaneous in most situations instead of striking first.
    This is why Scorpions are way better in this edition. They have a higher S, get auto hits at I 10 and strike first in most cases. Not to mention their 3+ Armor, Stealth, Infiltrate (which makes them basically as fast as banshees on foot with the added bonus of an Infiltrated serpent if you want to) and ability to deal with vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    They tear through power armor but not through the marines Toughness. Also no Nades mean that the mask will make them strike simulaneous in most situations instead of striking first.
    This is why Scorpions are way better in this edition. They have a higher S, get auto hits at I 10 and strike first in most cases. Not to mention their 3+ Armor, Stealth, Infiltrate (which makes them basically as fast as banshees on foot with the added bonus of an Infiltrated serpent if you want to) and ability to deal with vehicles.
    sure this came up on another recent thread ... but basically as above ^^^ BUT:

i have had some limited success popping a DE Archon in there with phantasm grenades [which effect unit as well] at 120pts [+-=]
    the archon is a lot cheaper than jaon zar or another 'lordy' - and if you can get a spirit seer in there and get really lucky - protect and empower are just as good as any other random powers.

we still play 6th - but i understand in 7th you could stick them in a raider and get an assault vehicle to boot!

If you have the ability to "pop an archon in there" do it the other way round.
    Take a squad of Inccubi (higher S, AP2 and 3+) pop the Archon in there and add a Farseer or a Spiritseer in there for rerolls or unit buffs.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

isnt just sticking banshees in a raider/venom going to solve their biggest issues?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Not really... they still die to Overwatch (unlike scorpions) and still have no Granades (unlike scorpions). These disadvantages would be still ok when they where at least more "killy" than scorpions. But on average thats only 2 Marines more on the Banshees side with Scorpions having the advantage of surviving any retailation better than the banshees. The Banshee exarch just adds as much killing power as the scorpion exarch while the scorpion exarch also adds the ability to reliably harm vehicles.
    Last but not least the scorpions could either infiltrate a Serpent or outflank a raider/venom.

I might be biased here as I always was more in favor of Scorpions even at the time when Banshees where clearly the better Aspect.
    Last edited by Charon; 08-26-2014 at 06:05 AM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

man, overwatch and lack of grenades are considered crippling problems.....

well I'l put it this way, I'd kill for 4+sv and a open top transport on my stealers
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Captain

There isn't really any way of making them good because they're bad in themselves and there are other units that are straight-up better at what they do.

Yeah you could do all of these things to help them... but you could do the same things to other units for a much better outcome because all you're doing is polishing a turd, and spit-polishing it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    If you have the ability to "pop an archon in there" do it the other way round.
    Take a squad of Inccubi (higher S, AP2 and 3+) pop the Archon in there and add a Farseer or a Spiritseer in there for rerolls or unit buffs.
    its a fair point . but the banshee exarch is arguably better, the banshees have pistols, and they are 6pts cheaper !

either way the units are a'sneak' counter attack style unit that can seriously threaten armour 3 units - the banshee initiative bonus possibly giving them the edge as they will always strike first whereas the incubi might not, in either case they must be charged into combat without taking too much direct fire [t3!]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast