BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 7th Ed Sternguard Special Ammunition question

Ok I started with 7th ed and I'm playing Space Marines. I noticed that Sternguard get special ammunition for Boltguns and was wondering if that included their Bolt Pistols, Storm Bolters and Heavy Bolters. I've checked the FAQ, nothing, and I've done a lot of googling looking for answers. So far all of the answers have been for 5th and 6th edition and have been pretty solidly "NO!"

My confusion is coming from pp. 176 of the 7th ed BRB "Ranged Weapons of the 41st Millennium." On that page it has a section for "Boltguns" under which it lists: Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Storm bolter, Heavy bolter and Vulcan mega-bolter.

So according to the BRB all of those are considered Boltguns, so does that mean they can all take special ammunition? And if not then what's the point in taking Storm bolters? Especially when another Sternguard costs less than giving them to every member of the initial squad?

I know that this question has been answered before for previous editions, but considering the 7th ed BRB says all bolt weapons are boltguns and I'm new I want to be super clear on this issue. Thank you.

If you look at the entry for Special Issue Ammunition in the Wargear section of the Codex, it states: "In addition to the normal profile for their boltgun . . ." so unfortunately it still only works for bolters. Somewhat disappointing that there's no provision for loading the SI Ammo into other weapons, or at least making the Storm Bolter a free or +1 point option, but it is what it is.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Thanks. It's disappointing, because at it stands now, stormbolters are not an upgrade. They're worse.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, something they should have fixed but didn't.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Yeah, something they should have fixed but didn't.
    add it to the list
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

<chuckles> I didn't bother keeping a list. I have better things to do with five subject notebooks.

What about combi bolters? I have always played them as if they have special ammo and no one has ever said anything about me doing it wrong. Even at the Tourney I attended earlier in the year.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Bob821 View Post
    What about combi bolters? I have always played them as if they have special ammo and no one has ever said anything about me doing it wrong. Even at the Tourney I attended earlier in the year.
    Bolters and Combi-Bolters get the special ammo. Check Codex:Space Marines pg. 125, Special Issue Ammunition. For some reason they haven't figured out how to load the stuff in other Bolt weapons that use the same size shells or upscale them for Heavy Bolters. I wouldn't mind even getting the option to take a single kind of the ammo for the weapon as a pay upgrade, so for say 5 points you could load a Storm Bolter with Kraken rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    Bolters and Combi-Bolters get the special ammo. Check Codex:Space Marines pg. 125, Special Issue Ammunition. For some reason they haven't figured out how to load the stuff in other Bolt weapons that use the same size shells or upscale them for Heavy Bolters. I wouldn't mind even getting the option to take a single kind of the ammo for the weapon as a pay upgrade, so for say 5 points you could load a Storm Bolter with Kraken rounds.
    Or Stormbolters for free and 5pts for special ammunition.

Just give a profile that modifies the regular profile:
    Kraken Rounds |+6" Weapon Range | Weapon Strength | -1 AP | Weapon Profile |
    Hellfire Rounds |Weapon Range | Strength 1 | +0 AP | Weapon Profile, Poison 2+ |
    Dragonfire Rounds | Weapon Range | Weapon Strength | Weapon AP | Weapon Profile, Ignores Cover |
    Vengeance Rounds | Weapon Range | Weapon Strength | -2 AP | Weapon Profile, Gets Hot |

That way all bolters could be used with special ammo.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Kartr_Kana View Post
    Or Stormbolters for free and 5pts for special ammunition.

Just give a profile that modifies the regular profile:
    Kraken Rounds |+6" Weapon Range | Weapon Strength | -1 AP | Weapon Profile |
    Hellfire Rounds |Weapon Range | Strength 1 | +0 AP | Weapon Profile, Poison 2+ |
    Dragonfire Rounds | Weapon Range | Weapon Strength | Weapon AP | Weapon Profile, Ignores Cover |
    Vengeance Rounds | Weapon Range | Weapon Strength | -2 AP | Weapon Profile, Gets Hot |

That way all bolters could be used with special ammo.
    GW doesn't think we can keep track of changes to profiles.....
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast