BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheese Cheesed!

Default Cheese Cheesed!

I saw this on my FB, and thought this was hysterical.

[url]http://imgur.com/gallery/V0gND[/url]
    Da Sausage Grot judges you...

Occuli Imperator

Yes this comes round every once in awhile.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

I never really understood, why was reserving your biker force considered cheesey?

Occuli Imperator

Because reasons

It reversed the 1st turn advantage. Though why that is worse than having an opponent with an army of only models with scout move is beyond me.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Demonus View Post
    I never really understood, why was reserving your biker force considered cheesey?
    Not sure of that myself, my only guess is that back in the day you could assault after arriving from reserves. I had good success with this in 5th. An outflanking bike command squad with the Khan was pretty nasty.

I still put a large amount of my army in reserves depending upon who I am facing. The majority of my list (well everything of any importance) has the option of deep striking, outflanking, or has the range to do something solid even walking in from my deployment zone. I consider this a CSM requirement in the new META where volume of fire against some armies will hobble you if you are on the board prior to thinning their ranks with an alpha strike. Likewise, these options are key when facing Super Heavies (like Knights). You want to have the option to drop and pop.

Thus, when I face a hideous gun line (static or mobile) or spammed Super Heavy Walkers, I generally put most of my army in reserve except for some worthless Cultists which I hide in the most difficult and/or see spot. There is very little downside to doing so. You lose a little bit of shooting you would have had long range the 1st turn that would likely have been ineffectual regardless. Then you come in force on the 2nd (and some 3rd) turn to try and liquidate key units with shooting. Either way you have reduced the amount of concentrated fire on your units by an entire turn (along with whatever reductions you made on arrival). Against the super heavies, best case scenario you killed one on arrival with spammed Melta, and you have parked your troops in a way to have minimized its potential (you are far away).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    I still put a large amount of my army in reserves depending upon who I am facing. The majority of my list (well everything of any importance) has the option of deep striking, outflanking, or has the range to do something solid even walking in from my deployment zone. I consider this a CSM requirement in the new META where volume of fire against some armies will hobble you if you are on the board prior to thinning their ranks with an alpha strike. Likewise, these options are key when facing Super Heavies (like Knights). You want to have the option to drop and pop.

Thus, when I face a hideous gun line (static or mobile) or spammed Super Heavy Walkers, I generally put most of my army in reserve except for some worthless Cultists which I hide in the most difficult and/or see spot. There is very little downside to doing so. You lose a little bit of shooting you would have had long range the 1st turn that would likely have been ineffectual regardless. Then you come in force on the 2nd (and some 3rd) turn to try and liquidate key units with shooting. Either way you have reduced the amount of concentrated fire on your units by an entire turn (along with whatever reductions you made on arrival). Against the super heavies, best case scenario you killed one on arrival with spammed Melta, and you have parked your troops in a way to have minimized its potential (you are far away).
    The downside being obvious, that your army may end up coming in piece-meal, and easily focus-fired to oblivion instead of providing multiple threats for your opponent to target.

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    The downside being obvious, that your army may end up coming in piece-meal, and easily focus-fired to oblivion instead of providing multiple threats for your opponent to target.
    It isn't much of a downside. Only out of three units gets delayed. Staying on the table against a volume of fire nightmare army is certain death. The risk of being 1/3 down but getting the alpha strike is minimal against near certain death by reliable "Bell Curve" shooting. The risks were greater back in 5th Edition, and it was worth it even then. Now it isn't much of a risk at all. I do it regularly and have yet to pay any price.

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Not sure of that myself, my only guess is that back in the day you could assault after arriving from reserves. I had good success with this in 5th. An outflanking bike command squad with the Khan was pretty nasty.
    Or even worse, LR Crusader filled with 7 Assault Terminators, a Chaplain and Khan (his 5th ed rule gave scout to DTs). Pricey, sure, but it took a huge bite out of the other guy's line.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

That is so funny. I love it. Thanks for sharing.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast