BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grey Knights only good in Eternal War missions, not Maelstrom?

Hello there,

Today was the second game i played with my friend (who plays GK) using Maelstrom missions. My army being Eldar, iīm always floored by the amount of WCPīs GK can accumulate...fe. today, it was 15 + d6 against my 3 + d6 (Farseer on bike), i got ONE power (Guide) of during the four rounds of combat and he didnīt perils even ONCE!

But as you might have noticed in the previous sentence, the game was short and why? Because after i got rid of the two scariest things (Dredknights) and the little scary thing (Interceptors), i was leading already about five points and then it got easier...we played to the end of the fourth (i wanted to see Farseer with Firesabre going at the infantry-squad...and he wiffed ) and in came the hardy handshake, cos the score was about 12-4 for Eldar.

We discussed the game and the GK just canīt match the randomness of the game like Eldar do. Altough, he had Gate of infinity and Levitation, but most of the mobility is gone after the Dreds and the Interceptaz do their 30" jump. Even if you subtract the two good rolls i got from the "get d3 victory points", which was five points total, i still would have it in a bag by a three point margin (and we didnīt bother to count the LB).

One game we played last week, was an Eternal war mission with four objectives and he won that with about the same points actually. The dudes sitting in their Chaimeras hold more weight in those oneīs, and the faster army is forced to counter more, not just skimming around the board and collecting points. We had some ideas, how this might get more "balanced" (as only a GW game can ), but thatīs another topic...

If you are a GK player, whatīs your cure for the Maelstrom Missions? Have you had similar experiences?

OR

If you are fe. an Eldar player, have you danced around the GK to the victory? Did you have harder time in the Eternal War -missions?

- Lost Vyper
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Chapter-Master

Malestorm missions are won on mobility and luck of the draw, and Eldar are just plain better than any other codex in the game. And while GKs contol the psychic phase, the psychic phase is much weaker as a whole unless you, say, spam invisibility or similar, which GKs aren't particularly good at. So there are a few factors at play.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

BTW, we banned Invisibililty in the last game and i would have made a difference, if he had it on the Terminators...
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Vyper View Post
    BTW, we banned Invisibililty in the last game and i would have made a difference, if he had it on the Terminators...
    Why did you do that? If you take away something from an Army you may be leaving it at a disadvantage. So saying GK are no good in Maelstrom while you tossed out t one of their important capabilities really lessons your claim that GK cannot win in Maelstrom. I think you need to play many more games than one to come to a conclusion that something does not work.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcloud6 View Post
    Why did you do that? If you take away something from an Army you may be leaving it at a disadvantage. So saying GK are no good in Maelstrom while you tossed out t one of their important capabilities really lessons your claim that GK cannot win in Maelstrom. I think you need to play many more games than one to come to a conclusion that something does not work.
    Invisibility is not a good argument that an army is good. Almost anything can be good with invisibility.

Perhaps Interceptors? They can jump around and can shunt when you really need to be somewhere. You could also try for gate of infinity, though of course it isn't guaranteed so it can't be part of your definite plan, but it's something to consider.

Chapter-Master

Interceptors get shot to death by tau and eldar. So do dreadknights. Too expensive for what they do.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Interceptors get shot to death by tau and eldar. So do dreadknights. Too expensive for what they do.
    True, but if there is no AP2 weapons near, it gets TOUGH...if i was him, i had combat squaded (or what ever they do) more and deep struck the Terminators...
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE

Eldar always have AP2 weapons near.

Chaplain

So you ban Invisibility but admit GK are under powered... lol. Also, hopefully you realize without the old FAQ, Dreadknights are pretty meh for the price. It's really tiresome hearing people whine about GK and warp charges only to realize they are not over powered and actually need those warp charges to do diddly.
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Chapter-Master

True, but if there is no AP2 weapons near, it gets TOUGH...if i was him, i had combat squaded (or what ever they do) more and deep struck the Terminators...
    No, when a unit of Broadsides or a couple Wave Serpents shoot at it, it disappears. And since it has short range guns and is designed to be good in assault, it's not like you could avoid enemy firepower if you wanted to, not like a Riptide (which is both significantly cheaper, has an extra wound, and can get a better invulnerable save). It's a great unit that needs a 5th wound and to be significantly cheaper after upgrades. The teleporter is just so massively overpriced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast