BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Astra Militarum Regimental Standard: question

If a command squad has a regimental standard and is embarked in a Chimera, does the standard still effect units 12" away. I know that a lot of things still work while embarked, some don't though. Been looking for a ruling in the books, FAQ's, forums. I can't seem to find anything one way or the other about any standards.

Occuli Imperator

Yes.

Pg80. BRB "If the players need to measure a range involving the embarked unit (except for it's shooting), this range is measured to or from the vehicle's hull"

- - - Updated - - -

Only it now is slightly more than 12" as you can measure to any point on the hull, so you can have a wider affect
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Brother-Sergeant

Thank you sir, for where to find it as well.

Occuli Imperator

Always happy to help
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Yes.

Pg80. BRB "If the players need to measure a range involving the embarked unit (except for it's shooting), this range is measured to or from the vehicle's hull"

- - - Updated - - -

Only it now is slightly more than 12" as you can measure to any point on the hull, so you can have a wider affect
    This is definitely how it was played in 5th BUT!

What I don't understand is how you can make an assumption, there is no rule enabling the standard to work whilst embarked, though equally there is no rule stopping it from working either, there's simply a rules vacuum....the statement of how to measure from a vehicles hull is not an entitlement for things to work from inside a transport.

My issue is if there is a lack of a specific ruling it does not create an entitlement to do it, just because that is the way it used to work. If the quote said "when measuring for special rules or items that have an effective range and are embarked on a vehicle then measure from the vehicle's hull" but it doesn't it just says generically, without any examples of when you might do it, for example the intention of the rule might be for keeping 1" away from other models rather than enabling the use of a special rule. It simply doesn't say it. So play it however you like, because there's no rules either way.

For example there are lots of special rules like GK Mystics in Storm Ravens, which would allow for accurate deep striking for 10pts, same with icons in rhinos.
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Occuli Imperator

I see where you are coming from and I must admit it is not as clear as I would like, but thankfuly I have perception bias so that is all good

The reasoning goes like this.

The Comand Squad embarks into the transport and in effect becomes the unit.

Now ordinarily, to get the bonus for the standard (or other special rule) you need to measure to the unit, because they are embarked, you cannot do that so instead you use the rule that says you measure to the hull instead.

I think that that is suffice.

The rules tend to treat the vehicle to be as the unit. Indeed, this line or reasoning is continued as the rules stop you from targetting an embarked squad or model (aside from flamers vs open topped).

The rules say that any time you need to measure to an embarked squad you measure to the vehicle hull, so you don't need examples.

Other things require the unit to be physically on the board, so you cannot be embarked and IIRC there is a special rule to prevent them from being used while on board (i.e. the general rule is that you measure to the vehicle unless specified otherwise).

- - - Updated - - -

It is a hardly convincing argument I will grant you,