BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Assembly Advice

Default Assembly Advice

Hi All,

I am getting back in after a very long time (I played back in second edition). I have some figures, but am having a hard time assembling them. Specifically three point connections, such as two arms that converge on a gun. Getting everything in the right place before the glue dries is turning into an impossibility for me. I've tried guessing on one and connecting the other, but - I don't know if my eyes are that bad or what - I can't seem to get it right. I even went and bought a "third hand" to hold the figure. Is there some secret technique that makes this easy?

These are plastic figures for whatever difference that might make. Any advice would really be appreciated!

Hi. I like to dry fit everything to find a position I like for stuff, if I can't find it then I may need to file down an angle on the shoulder joints of the arms.
    Then I glue one arm in position, let it totally dry, then glue the weapon and other arm and squidge then into position, as the plastic glue gives you a couple of minutes soft time to work with.
    That's just how I usually do it, hope it helps.
    I do sometimes try to do all three at once, get flustered, then remember what I usually do! Haha.

Just thought, it is plastic glue not super glue you are using right? I could see how that would cause problems. Also I like using a little more glue than you would think, that helps.
    Last edited by Rory Wildwards; 07-25-2014 at 11:25 PM.
    Never enough time to do nothing.

Librarian

Wrong forum section. A Mod needs to move it to the right area.
    "Let them come. We shall smite them down where they stand" Warsmith Vorax of the 15th Grand Battalion.

Thank you for the reply. I have been using super glue as someone told me that if you make a mistake with plastic glue, you are just out of luck. Is it really that difficult to correct a mistake later if you mess up (with super glue I can pull things apart if needed most of the time)?

I will take a try at doing it your way. I am just worried about getting the weapon arm so far off that the other arm won't fit right. However, I really need to figure something out, so I might as well give it a go.

Thank again!

What Rory said is pretty much exactly how I do it. Just make sure you use the correct glue for the correct material. Plastic, Resin and metal don't all use the same thing.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Opus Krokus View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I have been using super glue as someone told me that if you make a mistake with plastic glue, you are just out of luck. Is it really that difficult to correct a mistake later if you mess up (with super glue I can pull things apart if needed most of the time)
    not always, I've noticed on some of my plastic figures, having had repeated baths in original Detol to strip the really bad paint job from them, has losened up the plastic glue bonds in certain places, so that the arms, backpacks and even torsoes have with a gentle bit of pressure come off without damaging the pieces.

But I stress only some parts it's worked on.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/