BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: How is 40k doing in your local Wargaming Community

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Going strong with more players getting in to it.

25 22.32%
  • Going well with a solid group of players.

29 25.89%
  • It's doing alright.

22 19.64%
  • Very few Players play it.

18 16.07%
  • Hardly anyone plays it nowdays.

18 16.07%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Initiate

It's doing ok where I am, there's still a small group who play it that I know of. There used to be a huge 40K following and our local store has this enormous stock, but when 7th Edition was released most of everyone who played dropped off, including myself. I rarely get the chance to play now, and if I do we play 6th Edition. None of us are willing to throw down the money for the new rulebook or even the starter set when it costs so much.
    "I have heard life is cheap on the streets of Korsk. Apparently assassins are not." ~Prince Neplakh Vanar

Behold the vocal minority effect!

Seems to be doing just fine in my neck of the woods. Lots of people playing other games too, but I still see lots of 40KK being played.
    My hobby blog: http://marcraleyminiatures.blogspot.com

No drop in NE Florida, see new players getting into it, it is the 500 lb gorilla of local miniatures gaming, fantasy is mostly dead, warmachine is doing strong, a few people try to start something with Malifaux every now and then but it never takes, there are some Infinity and MErcs players around, but very few..
    Last edited by Franklancer; 07-27-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Here's 2 points to consider:

1) not everyone plays the game, I know plenty of people that own minis, but havn't ever done a match with them. 5th, 6th, or 7th, some really don't care, except for the new model that will be released.
    I'm one of those players actually, I do play but that's a tiny part of the hobby for me, I havn't bought the 7th yet, no rush to do so, no rush to play either. I still paint and enjoy it! I also still am into the fluff.
    The painters particularly will stay loyal as they don't buy a ton of minis and they just enjoy painting, like a drug, you need your dose.

2)Money isn't always an issue. GW is a luxury, who buys this? People that can afford luxury. There's absolutely NO REASON TO WHINE ABOUT GW PRICES, doing it is like complaining about golf being too expensive. You don't need golf or GW to live. We're not all stuck in a sucky job with a bad pay, some of us earn decent money, enough to pretty much buy at will. Was it easy to get such a job? Nope, just need some education, something which a lot of people didn't bother with, fooling around at school.

Now what I see is still a very active GW community, some people stayed, some quit, but still plenty of people playing it. In this area I have no clue if people play other systems, have seen none.
    https://www.facebook.com/DarkMoonKabal

Our big local tournament went from 40 players from last year down to just 14 this year. I haven't played a gw game years but it's quite shocking to see how much the New edition has hurt the game locally though fantasy gotten stronger following this year.

It has actually picked up since 7th in my area. Even had a couple people that had stopped playing come back to the fold.

I may have not been in the game for more then 3 years but i see the store i play at have fully booked tables olny 2 tables with 2 hours gaming per slot so it does not feel as if it is die over here 50/50 on both fantasy and 40k i dont see any hobbit played... I do worry for GW because they do produce some really outstanding models as of late
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    So I'm curious to know how 40k is doing in other Wargaming Communities, is it still going strong or has it been on the decline these past few months?
    Dead. In my admittedly very small circle of friends the guys have just no interest in the current edition and release cycle. Lots of WWII in 15mm and 28mm instead, and the odd game of Fantasy. Mantic games also getting stronger.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Going really well locally. It's interesting to see people commenting about how 5th was the heyday in their communities. Ours was nearly dead by the end of 5th, still our least favorite edition. Took off in 6th and is still going strong.

I wouldn't say it is dead, but it is certainly suffering badly by comparison from the days of 5th Edition and the first year of 6th. Pick up games are virtually gone. If the game isn't arranged beforehand, it doesn't seem to happen. People are playing but there is little enthusiasm. Die hard veterans, those who I never thought would say ill of Games Workshop, have been switching to Bolt Action and other games. I think 40K will be around for a good long while, but if I had to judge it by my local META, the glory days are over.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast