BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Occuli Imperator

And people say he is out of touch with gamers:

On The Lord of the Rings (January 2007):
    Quote Personally I preferred the book. But I suppose I shouldn't say that.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

First sensible thing I've seen him say...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Librarian

Well, they have 42% less profit this year, yes, ok, itīs bad...

But they still have profit.

So donīt bury GW yet
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramarīs Gauntlets

Quote Originally Posted by MarneusCalgar View Post

So donīt bury GW yet
    Indeed. Says something about the effectiveness of their cost cutting overall.

And again, interesting that no profit warning was issued - I'm under the impression that such things have to be done if profits are well under expectation? There was certainly one with the LOTR bubble burst.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by MarneusCalgar View Post

So donīt bury GW yet
    The real problem, which nobody is talking about, is that they remained in the black only by gutting their entire operation. They don't have anything left to cut. Unless they can create real turnaround, the next report wil be harder to offset.
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 07-30-2014 at 04:03 AM.

Chapter-Master

I'm not sure they've cut enough for that to be the only reason they're in the black, it might have affected the final figure, but I can't imagine to that extent.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Indeed.

There's also quite a lot of 'possible cause myopia' at play here. Without figures on their competitors, who knows what shape the general wargaming hobby is in? All we've got is a collection of loose anecdotes about who seems to be playing what, based entirely on tournament and in store gaming, which misses the home market.

Is it all GW's fault? Are there things beyond the control of a single company at play? Frankly, none of us have anything like enough knowledge or info to draw any kind of conclusion.

All we know is that profits are down, but still there, and they have been working on their infrastructure to ensure they run as efficiently as possible.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Seems to be cultural - "we know what the customer wants, so lets not bother listening to them when they cry out and tell us that we're doing something stupid."
    Yes, we have a cultural aversion to toxic bull**** which encourages the bullying of retail workers by customers who know they will get away with it because the company values the pittance they will spend over the welfare of their workers.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Plus there's the fact that The Customer Is Always Right just results in them buying whatever crappy device they think will be great, then spending the next couple of years convincing themselves it's top of the line to save pride. People who listen to salespeople that know the products and deal with them day-in, day-out will get an actually good product into the bargain.

Skullcandies spring to mind as a brand everyone is convinced is great but are actually terrible.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Plus there's the fact that The Customer Is Always Right just results in them buying whatever crappy device they think will be great, then spending the next couple of years convincing themselves it's top of the line to save pride. People who listen to salespeople that know the products and deal with them day-in, day-out will get an actually good product into the bargain.

Skullcandies spring to mind as a brand everyone is convinced is great but are actually terrible.
    I quite like my pair. Not too expensive, decent enough quality - important for me, as I just seem to destroy headphones!

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast