BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

You don't have to buy things on release. In fact, that's a fairly rare occurence around here, even with video games. May as well wait for the first wave of poor saps to impusle buy it, sample their thoughts, then decide on it.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

I dunno man.

Releases at pace simply keep my nose in their direction, looking to see what's coming next. Ltd Ed stuff like Stormclaw? That's a bit more impulse yes.

Impulse buys in GW tend to be the odd plastic character, WD, pots of paint, a new brush. Small stuff, things which I don't normally figure into my monthly budget, mostly because I forget about them.

But armies and that? I set myself a cash budget, and go shopping. Sometimes I come in under budget, simply because I have enough to be going on with. Occasionally, I'll go over my budget because I just can't choose between some options. There's very little room for impulse there.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

look their model is for impulse buying. everything they do is to promote impulse buys.

And as to what, well we've seen an astronomical rise in limited editions, and with crusade of fire, void shields,stormclaw we are now seeing that taken to the next step where products are avaiable for highly limited time at a highly limited quantity and a high price, and if your late no luck. thats all in an effort to force you to spend before thinking.

EDIT: They are on record stating that they don't provide longer looks at upcoming releases because they want you to buy what they release this week instead fo saving for next month....
    Last edited by daboarder; 07-31-2014 at 03:39 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Still isn't make me impulse buy though. And cheaper prices would not change that.

My budget is my budget. I tend to spend it shortly after payday, as that's my own spending habit. If the prices were lower, my budget would still be fixed, and GW would just make less profit on the purchases I make.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

anecdotes is anecdote!

Seriously, if I say I would buy more if it was cheaper now cancel out your statement? After all they only have a net gain then.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    anecdotes is anecdote!

Seriously, if I say I would buy more if it was cheaper now cancel out your statement? After all they only have a net gain then.
    No, but there is the slightly odd equation going on that lower prices mean people don't so much buy more, but somehow spend more.

As prices go down, people's budgets don't necessarily go up. Take food shopping. At the start of the month, I fill my cupboards and freezer with enough stuff to feed me until my next pay day (roughly 4.5 weeks on average). That in itself is my budget. Now, if prices go up, I still need 4.5 weeks of food in. If prices go down, I still need....you guessed it, 4.5 weeks worth of food in. Budget there is semi-elastic. If prices go down, I might chuck in a couple of premium treats (big juicy steak!) if they go up, I'll downgrade some purchases (say own brand Noodles for 19p a packet, rather than 90p for Bachelor's Super Noodles).

But for my hobby spending? Spread over X-Wing and GW, I'll allow around £200 a month. For X-Wing, I'll shop around as no local store stocks it. GW? I'll nip up and support my local branch (besides, manager is my former boss, and I like having him around!). But that £200 remains a £200 budget, by and large. If GW cut their prices by half in a moment of madness, I'd still only have £200 to spend. I'd just get more for it, but GW wouldn't get more money out of me.

The only time my budgets increase is when I get a promotion at work (next one should net me an extra £240ish a month, after tax) or I cut something else (like my Sky TV. Gonna ditch the movies. Too expensive, rarely watched, no point!)

My hobby prices don't change that.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    No, but there is the slightly odd equation going on that lower prices mean people don't so much buy more, but somehow spend more.

As prices go down, people's budgets don't necessarily go up. Take food shopping. At the start of the month, I fill my cupboards and freezer with enough stuff to feed me until my next pay day (roughly 4.5 weeks on average). That in itself is my budget. Now, if prices go up, I still need 4.5 weeks of food in. If prices go down, I still need....you guessed it, 4.5 weeks worth of food in. Budget there is semi-elastic. If prices go down, I might chuck in a couple of premium treats (big juicy steak!) if they go up, I'll downgrade some purchases (say own brand Noodles for 19p a packet, rather than 90p for Bachelor's Super Noodles).

But for my hobby spending? Spread over X-Wing and GW, I'll allow around £200 a month. For X-Wing, I'll shop around as no local store stocks it. GW? I'll nip up and support my local branch (besides, manager is my former boss, and I like having him around!). But that £200 remains a £200 budget, by and large. If GW cut their prices by half in a moment of madness, I'd still only have £200 to spend. I'd just get more for it, but GW wouldn't get more money out of me.

The only time my budgets increase is when I get a promotion at work (next one should net me an extra £240ish a month, after tax) or I cut something else (like my Sky TV. Gonna ditch the movies. Too expensive, rarely watched, no point!)

My hobby prices don't change that.
    your assuming that people have a hooby budget. A lot of us merely buy what we can if we have some spare cash after all those things...so yes, lower prices would mean we buy more as the little left over we have can actually afford things....

Maybe you could plan your finances for the month and know what you have available to spend like the rest of us, then?

I do it every month on payday, it's the responsible way to handle your money.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

I dunno about responsible per se.

Soon as all my bills are paid, I go proper doolally with the remain cashmonies!

Though to true, next month is a no-models month. I'm buying and insuring a Car, going LARPing (£75 just to get in, plus booze, tabs and scran. And maybe a new Crossbow), then I'm off up to Scotland for parent's Ruby Wedding.

I never save either. Just spend spend spend, because it makes me feel good. And I can

Brother-Captain

For me, the high price point of a GW kit means that I'm less likely to buy because it takes me a long time to save for one. By the time I've gotten $90 for a stegadon I'm considerably more likely to have seen a $10 game on sale on Steam and then whoops that's another month before getting that dinosaur, and with the high price point it takes a corresponding dip in overall priorities. I'm not sure that's making much sense outside my head.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast