BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    This is a general issue in the wargames hobby sector, not at all unique to GW, most games seem to have poor representation of women!
    Sadly enough... And a lot of places that do represent women manage to sexualize them in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan Land View Post
    Maybe its being 1/2 hispanic, 1/2 Russian/Euro but I almost always paint my gaurdsmen with three different skin tones and then vary washes on all of em so almost no one in the unit matches. But i understand in the UK White population is about 85% in the US its closer 60-70% depending on how you look at it who you ask.
    Being American I’m a genetic mongrel. Having been in the game for decades, it’s the fact that they wove minorities into the fluff and then yanked them out for no real reason that I find most annoying.

But to bring a lot of meandering thoughts down to relevance, If GW somehow found a way to really appeal to minorities/women in a way that wasn't condescending. If it was well received it would in fact theoretically speaking be, very profitable. But thats also assuming that if they made these changes enough women would actually care about it to buy their products.
    If they work it in properly it should be profitable... However, it's not going to happen overnight. There is a base of existing gamers that would buy into this idea simply because it’s different and interesting. They already have a solid female army that they could properly support so it shouldn’t be too big of an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    No, but there is the slightly odd equation going on that lower prices mean people don't so much buy more, but somehow spend more.
    While you are correct in that people won’t buy more because the budget doesn’t change you have to allow for product substitution as well. Lower prices could mean more people use their existing gaming budget to purchase GW products vs competitors. I constantly here gamers making the comparison of “what can I get from X or Y with this money…” The only thing preventing a mass exodus of GW customers is that other companies have not managed to capture the same magic with their IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgrim View Post
    For me, the high price point of a GW kit means that I'm less likely to buy because it takes me a long time to save for one. By the time I've gotten $90 for a stegadon I'm considerably more likely to have seen a $10 game on sale on Steam and then whoops that's another month before getting that dinosaur, and with the high price point it takes a corresponding dip in overall priorities. I'm not sure that's making much sense outside my head.
    Exactly what I'm referring to with product substitution.

GW do pretty well with the quality of their representation of women, they just lack quantity.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    GW do pretty well with the quality of their representation of women, they just lack quantity.
    Quite true. Off the top of my head I was thinking about how some of the female models are represented in Infinity. (although Kingdom Death and Soda Pop are far worse with this). GW really does do a reasonable job. One could actually argue they were too conservative on the Dark Eldar Wyches this time around.
    Last edited by 40kGamer; 07-31-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Chapter-Master

I don't mind the price because it is a luxury and when I can't afford to buy new, there is a massive second hand market.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Added bonus is that the prices keep the second hand market buoyant. Sold off a load stuff earlier this year and made the best part of £1,000.00.

The stuff holding it's value isn't something you can easily discount for the most part.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    definitely agree, and I think its the part of it that makes it the genders seem so separated. As I mentioned I think things like mixed gender gaurdsmen would be a good way to work on that, partially if only because they are the "us" in space, the most army that most represents humanity. Sisters of Battle I think too a good job of being femenine without being too over-sexyd but I guess theres this part of me that wants something like the insertion team from Aliens or Event Horizon

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Morgrim View Post
    For me, the high price point of a GW kit means that I'm less likely to buy because it takes me a long time to save for one. By the time I've gotten $90 for a stegadon I'm considerably more likely to have seen a $10 game on sale on Steam and then whoops that's another month before getting that dinosaur, and with the high price point it takes a corresponding dip in overall priorities. I'm not sure that's making much sense outside my head.
    No that makes perfect sense and is my point
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

definitely agree, and I think its the part of it that makes it the genders seem so separated. As I mentioned I think things like mixed gender gaurdsmen would be a good way to work on that, partially if only because they are the "us" in space, the most army that most represents humanity. Sisters of Battle I think too a good job of being femenine without being too over-sexyd but I guess theres this part of me that wants something like the insertion team from Aliens or Event Horizon
    Big hurdle here is that they need to wait to redo kits, as it would appear Bitz don't sell enough for them.

Though there have been oddities, such as the Dark Elf Warriors being redone, and losing boob armour options. Granted, being Elves they should be androgynous anyway so Boob armour is less required, but even so.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Yep that was a real shame. Unnecessary too, all they had to do was sculpt a more feminine chest intead of the male torsos they did it would have been no extra work. Heavily armoured elf women are a rarity in fantasy miniatures and it was really problematic for DE to lose theirs while getting more scantily clad elf women which are in abundance.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

At least the scantily clad nature is sort of justified. Makes a certain amount of sense for Gladiators, and Witch Elves want to feel the blood on their skin. And none of the poses are what I might consider provocative.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast