BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Why I don't mind the price.

Honestly, I am tired of people whining about the price of Games-Workshop models. Sure, the start up cost is pretty big if you are going all out. It is that reason that we should be convincing new players to find a close friend to go in "Halfers" on a Dark Vengeance 2 player starter kit. In Canada, it is about 120 bucks. Split that between two people and it doesn't cost you much more than a AAA video game. In canada, that is only 10 bucks more than a warmachine battle group.

Because everyone always brings up warmachine/infinity or card games, I think I will too:

1. Warmachine really isn't that much cheaper. Sure, "You don't need to buy as many models", but you don't NEED more warhammer models either.

2. Warmachine and Infinity lack variety in vehicles. Sure, it is squad based combat, but both use mostly large mechs or humanoids. They clearly have their own flavors.

3. Just about every Magic: The Gathering player I know pays at least $1000 on cards a year. Cards you don't get to build or paint. (Part of the hobby to a lot of wargamers)

4. Have you ever looked at other models that aren't used for gaming? The detail is usually the same or worse than GW. I see tanks going for almost 100 dollars. GW prices are pretty standard.

So assuming we aren't all going for apoc-style battles, warhammer is as expensive as any other hobby.

So in short; it does depend a bit on what kind of game you like?

If I like epic, big scale games 40k might be for me. If I like skirmish type games, I might just as well look for an alternative. And if I like to keep it small scale but like to add a small squad or a few single figures, I might even consider Warmahordes or Infinity. 40k IMO supports larger scale gaming. That by itself isn't wrong and that by itself brings a pricetag. Perhaps that's what people should be aware of.

I guess there's a thing about the corresponding starter sets and splitting them up with your friends. Or even selling it on ebay. And that's often how I look at starting a new game as well.

What I will say about Warmahordes (and I can't speak for infinity since I don't play that game) is that exchanging your warcaster/warlock can change the feel of your army significantly. That in turn makes it easier to play a different style. It's something I sometimes wish 40k would learn from. So without even expanding, the option to change something seems pretty budget.

As for Magic. Are those by any chance competitive players? There is a pricetag on competition in any game. Or any hobby for that matter. Competitive 40k ain't cheap either and you do need a bit more models and probably work towards listbuilding towards the current meta (which might change come next codex). If it's casual players, there's no need for them to spend that. They want to spend that amount of money and that's perfectly fine. When I frequented a local store and actively played MtG, I stuck to the same deck for almost a year. I spend about €50 on it (should be what... $65?) and had fun for an entire year. Played the weekly tournaments and sometimes beat the top decks. So either they are playing competitive or just like to buy loads of cards and build decks. Besides, Pauper is a format with nothing but common cards. Find a local store that runs tournaments and you're set. Good luck finding tournaments that cater to budget wargaming where people bring cans and bottles instead of mini's.

The modelling thing though, you're right about that. As former Ork player, I've often looked at modelling kits for custom battlewagons. It rarely was a cheap alternative. Many vehicles in a 40k scale were just as expensive, if not even costlier.

However, despite it looking like I'm trying to debunk your claims; I do agree. While I might cringe about the prices and policies of GW, it's not like the prices are that crazy compared to other hobbies in general. If you play something like golf, do any other sport, or maybe you're even a gamer, chances are your budget will run the same. And obviously, and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one, the moment you have more interests/hobbies going on, the budget will increase a lot. Actively being a gamer with current gen consoles and being into wargaming does impact someones budget to play and such. If I were to just allot my money on wargaming, it might not even be that bad. Perhaps it's a bit or prioritizing.
    40k- Chaos Space marines - Chaos Daemons - WM/H - Khador - Cygnar - Dystopian wars - EotBS

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

it must be nice living in a country not arbitarlly slugged with trade embargo's and price gouging.....theres a reason Auzzies generally have no problem with pirated material, digital or not
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

I've never complained about the prices - however, I cannot afford GW prices - however as the products are not forced on me, I simply live without - I more enjoy seeing what other people do and have fun seeing the new products that come out these days. I think it also really depends if they are "expensive" depending more on what the individual earns AND what the individual personal needs.

Personally I've found historical fits me more lately- it's cheaper and the models are less parts and I am someone that DOES NOT want lots of options or customisation - if I want create something, I will sculpt it from scratch, if however I'm collecting another model-line I just want to get on and paint them and game (I should note my gaming needs are just a few close friends, so I do not have problems of tournement legality or finding places to play ect), so historical figures fit well for me as most of them are fewer parts and you get a good number of models for a pretty good price - for example my 16th century japanese is about 50 models and cost me £32, which is pretty good.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Victus Mortecarium View Post

1. Warmachine really isn't that much cheaper. Sure, "You don't need to buy as many models", but you don't NEED more warhammer models either.
    You don't need to buy a lot of models, but I've found games under 1500 points to be un-enjoyable.

Battle-Brother

I'd like to thank everyone for their insightful replies.

ChaosChrist: To answer your MTG, you are right. They are very competitive, so that does kind of explain a few things...
    Last edited by Victus Mortecarium; 07-29-2014 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Clarify who I am talking to

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    it must be nice living in a country not arbitarlly slugged with trade embargo's and price gouging.....theres a reason Auzzies generally have no problem with pirated material, digital or not
    You are better off than the Polish people. I've run the numbers. Maybe if you didn't have such lovely weather, high wages and high living costs....
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    You are better off than the Polish people. I've run the numbers. Maybe if you didn't have such lovely weather, high wages and high living costs....
    the living cost is the symptom not one of the causes. and the wages don't mean jack when the cost of living is higher. Hell man, we've had Government inquires into the matter and every time they find that we are being rortted but the vested interests in parliament aren't with us.

So we do what we want in the end.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Occuli Imperator

Oh certainly and you know I can understand that you will pay higher costs for goods imported from Europe given the costs of shipping (I know a firm that had to transport a couple of tonnes of goods to Christchurch and that would have been huge had it not been donated by a large shipping magnate). It is the digital stuff I don't get and I mean we have this issue everywhere. Why does a US$0.99 track cost me £0.99? I mean it should cost what £0.58 so why does buying it in another country incease the cost so much?!

Surely that should just be a straight currency conversion.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

I'm pretty much price immune too.

If I like something, I'll pay for it. This extends to GW, X-Wing (started....5ish weeks ago, already spent over £200), home entertainment (3D Telly, 3D Blurays, hundreds of VHS, DVD and Bluray, Sky Movies, Amazon Prime, Netflix). Beer, and other assorted hobbies (I'm taking on an allotment so I can grow my own veg. Start up cost is high, but hey it gives me something to do. And eat!).

I get why some find the prices high, but they are what they are so there's precisely no point whining on endlessly about it, or using something so subjective as an example of why the company is evil etc.

It sounds flippant, but I will never understand why people spend money on something they purport not to enjoy. Or why we get winklewaving about how little someone might have spent in the past 12 months. It's utterly immaterial to anyone but that person and their bank balance. Yet how many decent threads about the ins and outs of gaming and that have been ruined by someone honking all over the place about the price? Can't afford it? Tough. Don't want to pay it, go without.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast