BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Oh certainly and you know I can understand that you will pay higher costs for goods imported from Europe given the costs of shipping (I know a firm that had to transport a couple of tonnes of goods to Christchurch and that would have been huge had it not been donated by a large shipping magnate). It is the digital stuff I don't get and I mean we have this issue everywhere. Why does a US$0.99 track cost me £0.99? I mean it should cost what £0.58 so why does buying it in another country incease the cost so much?!

Surely that should just be a straight currency conversion.
    Because non-regulated capitalism that protects corporate interests is bust. The rise of Piracy is a response to decline of competition in the market place.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Because non-regulated capitalism that protects corporate interests is bust. The rise of Piracy is a response to decline of competition in the market place.
    It is less straightforward than that, as I am sure you are aware, after all 1 illegal download of the rulebook does not equate to 1 loss of sale.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

oh sure. I agree, if anything every analysis of the subject done by consumer groups that I've heard of has shown that piracy prevention does not lead to a significant increase in sales at all.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Occuli Imperator

Exactly, it is as gabe says, it is about creating a product that people feel that they should pay for.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

The lesson of the last fifteen years in regards to music, games, and films should be crystal clear. Battling piracy is a losing proposition. Until we achieve the mythical one-world government, piracy is going to be alive and well. If anyone should understand this, it is the British who kind of pioneered the whole concept back in the days when it was patriotic to burgle the Spanish at sea and/or rip off the French at every opportunity on the waves. Successfully battling pirates requires all governments to be on the same page. Our world is not on the same page nor is there any chance it will be soon.

The only model that has eventually worked is to embrace the changing technological context and reduce prices to the point where you still make a small profit on every item sold so that you can make your profits bulk. Pirates make their profits off "luxury" items. The high mark up leaves them plenty of room to sell cut rate and make money. A lower mark up leaves them in the position of not making a profit or losing money. Most people, believe it or not, are willing to pay for things (even stuff they can get free) if the price point is within a tolerable range. They pay that price point to feel honest (or because they are honest). When you set the price point too high, it becomes far too easy for people to justify piracy. This is why people now pay for music in the current model (very low price per song or album) when they could get the music free with simple search on youtube and then convert said high quality video to an MP3 quality music file. Do you follow?

Legitimate companies keeping their prices high is what keeps pirates in business. It also empowers their legal competition, but that is another discussion for another thread. Games Workshop is still the three hundred pound gorilla in the room. Despite all they have managed to do to themselves, they can still dominate the market. They could, if they wanted, cripple pirates almost overnight. They have the brand name, distribution system, and industrial setup to produce more for less and make their profit bulk. This would require them to readjust their business model to meet the changing world. They seem, like the music industry, intent on being dragged kicking and screaming into that painful truth. It is their dime, or rather it is that of their stockholders. If they want to do it the hard way and ignore the lessons other companies and businesses have taught... then there is nothing anyone can do.
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 07-29-2014 at 03:37 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    It is less straightforward than that, as I am sure you are aware, after all 1 illegal download of the rulebook does not equate to 1 loss of sale.
    If anything the odd illegal download here and there leads to sales.

As far as the price goes in the UK at least, while not cheap it is no more expensive than a lot of other ways to kill time in a fun way, for instance*;

Cinema ticket £10

Paperback novel £8

Pint £4

Meal with wine (mid range restaurant) £20 ph

1.7gr of lho analogue £20

15 litres of petrol £20

So dropping £20/£30 on a kit or book, while not something I would do without thinking about it first, isn't a huge commitment for me now. However last year I was seriously broke, so I just made the most eBay and planned every purchase.

*All prices based on where I live in the South East.

Occuli Imperator

Wow £4/pint, I wince at north of 3!

Certainly, as others have said it isn't miles away from other table top games and arguably of better quality, I am looking at those with static monoposes.

I imagine if you equate a BRB to a console then it is much cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by completeHook View Post
    ....while not cheap it is no more expensive than a lot of other ways to kill time in a fun way...
    It's pretty much how and why I was able to convince a friend of mine to get into wargaming. Either spend €50 on a new kit (for whatever gaming system) and have hours of fun painting and eventually throwing dice. Or spending that same (or even less hours) for a night out and a few beers. The expense is about the same, but technically, you can have recurring fun/use out of the kit you bought, something that doesn't really work with drinks at a bar.

For me it's probably a bit that I would like to have something be more than a "one shot". Heck, I'm already bothered if a videogame doesn't offer me enough replay value and I can't at least enjoy a few playthroughs that, despite it being the same game, play totally different.
    40k- Chaos Space marines - Chaos Daemons - WM/H - Khador - Cygnar - Dystopian wars - EotBS

£4 a pint? Sadly I drink Cider, so I look at £4.50 upwards in most places. A few pints of that in the average night, and I could've bought myself a tank.

I personally don't have too much issue with 40K, and generally spend about £70 a month on it as I'm expanding my Guard. I find the best thing to do is buy it at a steady rate, building and painting it as you go. I don't buy stuff because it's powerful or good, but because it looks cool which will be a more lasting factor in the end.

I mean, I have friends trying to convince me to build a new PC or buy a PS4, but we're looking at £500 easy for that sort of commitment, nevermind the steady purchasing of games required to make use of it. It's a very low priority in my spending.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoschrist View Post
    It's pretty much how and why I was able to convince a friend of mine to get into wargaming. Either spend €50 on a new kit (for whatever gaming system) and have hours of fun painting and eventually throwing dice. Or spending that same (or even less hours) for a night out and a few beers. The expense is about the same, but technically, you can have recurring fun/use out of the kit you bought, something that doesn't really work with drinks at a bar.

For me it's probably a bit that I would like to have something be more than a "one shot". Heck, I'm already bothered if a videogame doesn't offer me enough replay value and I can't at least enjoy a few playthroughs that, despite it being the same game, play totally different.
    You should try LARPing.....£70ish an event, plus getting there and back, easily £600 on gear (need to replace my trousers. Went all slippy following a polearm upside the head, and split last pair!).

Hobbies ain't cheap. Really not sure why some feel they should be.

Though it is all about value, which is of course entirely subjective. To work this out, I have a very rough calculation. Take the total cost of your current project, including the requisite rulebooks, paints etc. Then, work out/estimate how many hours you actively spend, or are likely to spend on that over a year. This would include everything from playing, assembling the models, painting the models, even writing lists. Take the money spent, and divide by the hours of activity to get an hourly cost. Then compare that hourly cost to other stuff you like to do.

It's very rough I know, but it does throw a bit of perspective into a highly subjective area.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast