I wouldnt be suprised if the 3d printer for the next little bit becomes as common as Lan connection was about say a decade ago-ish. Easily found at schools, tech forward offices, workshops, cutting edge home setups. now high speed internet is a completely common thing in most parts of the developed world. I wouldnt rule out a similar thing for 3d printing but the difference is its usefullness and safety.

Say for example in the future instead of buying a new cup you simply had one printed out. What sort of materials could it be made of safely that can hold together well enough that can be done using this technology. Its an adaption that has to grow in three directions to advance but I think its totally possible. Im going to give it at least 15 years before you can buy a device in your house that is useful and usable by any older child/adult. well have 3d printers to boot before then but theyre use and need will be specialized. once stuff is cheap, uniformed and tested as a technology theyll start to basically say you can move into a house with minimal furniture or maybe even no furniture and simply have this machine pump the whole kit and kboodle out via five to ten cartridges the size of a small car battery