BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

1) I've seen plenty of Stormravens execute hover assaults.
    2) People are using them this way (see 1)
    3) Plenty of people use assault vehicles of all sorts.
    4) and all assault armies pretty much charge on turns 3 or 4. It's been that way for 20 years. Look up Tyranids, Orks, Black Templars, Dark Eldar, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves. Assault is still the major portion of the game for them. Tyranids are a 'top tier' army, contrary to internetz belief. They do it through shooting, and crushing assaults at turns 3 and 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    Actually the rules are designed to encourage large armies that sit on either side of the board and shoot at each other, i.e. a higher model count.

There are no risks because there are not people doing it. Since the dawn of 6th Edition (and continuing until now) I've seen only ONE plane successfully deliver a cargo of assault troops. This is because it doesn't work and most people don't try.

There is nothing wrong with it, no. People just don't use them as they are billed. There is a lot of humor in it though, i.e. that assault vehicles are never used as such because of they are utter garbage at doing it.

Again, no they don't work. They will never work. You appear to have missed the brutal timing and math aspect. If you use them to deliver your expensive, quality assault troops you are ensuring that a significant portion of your army will NOT get into combat sooner than the 3rd or 4th Turn (when the game is already half or more than half over). If you are invested in winning the game via assault, this is tantamount to setting a bomb with only a thirty second timer and you have ten stories of stairs to go down before you can get out of the blast radius.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Look up Tyranids, Orks, Black Templars, Dark Eldar, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves. Assault is still the major portion of the game for them.
    Just no. Unless you count Beaststar as a "major portion" it is pretty much shooting all the way.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Just no. Unless you count Beaststar as a "major portion" it is pretty much shooting all the way.
    Look up Tyranids, Orks, Black Templars, ———, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves. Assault is still the major portion of the game for them.

I have to wonder, is Tynskel just a troll account? He doesn't seem to have a solid grasp of the rules (or game in general) and is always trying to play Devil's advocate.

Brother-Captain

Stormravens work as transports because they have flexibility. They have the option of dropping off the squad mid-flight and continuing to be hard to hit and be a gunship. Other flying transports aren't much good because they don't have 'skies of X', so have to hover. It seems to me that a Land Raider is pretty much always better.

Chapter-Master

There are no risks because there are not people doing it. Since the dawn of 6th Edition (and continuing until now) I've seen only ONE plane successfully deliver a cargo of assault troops. This is because it doesn't work and most people don't try.
    The only assault flyer I trust to deliver troops is the Caestus. AV13 makes a big difference!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by LCS View Post
    I have to wonder, is Tynskel just a troll account? He doesn't seem to have a solid grasp of the rules (or game in general) and is always trying to play Devil's advocate.
    Caitsidhe, and you are telling me that I 'brought this upon myself'?
    Really now?

Seriously, LCS. Cut the crap. I have the rules, and I know them exceptionally well.
    Like that Monster Hunter: Unit re-rolls failed To Hit rolls against Monstrous Creatures, and this may be carried over to ICs.
    or that: Allies of Convenience: Are enemy models that cannot be targeted, cannot move within 1” of the ally, cannot benefit from anything listed in ‘Battle Brothers’, are affected by attacks that effect ‘enemy’ units within a certain range.
    or maybe tenacity the personal warlord trait: where the warlord gains FNP.

or maybe to stay on topic: Assault Vehicle Passengers disembarking can Charge, unless they arrived from reserve.

I am a productive little internet troll. Spawning 5000+ posts on BoLS. If you aspire to be like me, I recommend doing this first:
    [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?21435-Tynskel-s-Guide-to-Interpreting-Rules&p=194151&viewfull=1#post194151[/url]
    Last edited by Tynskel; 07-30-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Caitsidhe, and you are telling me that I 'brought this upon myself'?
    Really now?
    What I am saying (on which I was crystal clear in my previous post) is that I have no pull with any Moderator here. I made no comment to them. I don't even report people when I think they are over the line. If they decided to ban you, they did so because you brought it on yourself and they were doing their jobs. I think I should point out that you are behaving in a manner that will probably get you in trouble again. You are insulting the Moderators, whomever banned you last time in particular, by suggesting that they didn't do their job right and were at my beck and call. I think you should drop the subject and privately go apologize to him/her. Your temper is your own worst enemy. For the record, unlike LCS, I don't think you are a Troll. I just think you are a guy who has a hard time controlling his mouth sometimes. I can sympathize.
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 07-30-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Chapter-Master

What I am saying (on which I was crystal clear in my previous post) is that I have no pull with any Moderator here. I made no comment to them. I don't even report people when I think they are over the line. If they decided to ban you, they did so because you brought it on yourself and they were doing their jobs. I think I should point out that you are behaving in a manner that will probably get you in trouble again. You are insulting the Moderators, whomever banned you last time in particular, by suggesting that they didn't do their job right and were at my beck and call. I think you should drop the subject and privately go apologize to him/her. Your temper is your own worst enemy. For the record, unlike LCS, I don't think you are a Troll. I just think you are a guy who has a hard time controlling his mouth sometimes. I can sympathize.

I did forget to apologize for my cover comment about tank traps—the 5+ vs 4+. I usually catch those mistakes before they happen. The tank traps always grant 4+ cover, but, as before are subject to many other rules. Like LoS, etc.

I don't apologize unless it is warranted. If the forum rules are not being applied consistently, there is no case or reason for me to apologize. Many posters in the 'landing pad' thread were consistently breaking the forum rules. Punishing one person makes no sense, especially since there were no warnings from the moderators, not public announcements of bannings (not necessary to mention who was banned, but just stating the banhammer). This is very inconsistent from BoLS in the past. I've seen the moderators, moderate. Recently, both on DISCUS and the lounge, the moderators are not moderating anymore. Apologizing, clearly, there's no benefit to the forum moderators (as they are breaking their own rules), the general posters (because they break the rules as well), nor even myself (because I get ripped on by other posters). It would be—what is called—appeasement, and I don't ascribe myself to that kind of behavior. Instead, I actively point out inconsistencies. Which is what I do in the rules forums, anyhow—point out inconsistent applications of the rules.

I'm pretty sure i'm a troll, but fuzzy at some points. This is my tagline:

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    I don't apologize unless it is warranted.
    This might be the kind of attitude that gets you into trouble. Our being here isn't a right, it is a privilege. I'm just saying.

If the forum rules are not being applied consistently, there is no case or reason for me to apologize. Many posters in the 'landing pad' thread were consistently breaking the forum rules. Punishing one person makes no sense, especially since there were no warnings from the moderators, not public announcements of bannings (not necessary to mention who was banned, but just stating the banhammer).
    You are making a couple of assumptions here, and we will have to agree to disagree on several of them. I have always found each individual Moderator VERY consistent. Some prefer to give warnings. Some bring the hammer. That individual is within their jurisdiction to decide either. The truth is those being nice with warnings are under no obligation so you shouldn't expect it. We should be playing nice in the first place. You are also assuming that other people didn't get spoken to or banned. Remember, bans are not announced. The only way anyone will know if you were banned (unless I'm missing some Scarlet Letters somewhere) is if you tell them. I wasn't aware you had gotten a temporary Ban until a friend of mine mentioned it and you confirmed it here. I've gotten my knuckles rapped here before and it was between me and the Moderators. Since I understand the reality of a Forum and their jurisdiction, I accepted their judgement, apologized for my behavior and moved on. I can get pretty intense in my debates but I do my best to stay within the rules of the site. Sometimes, despite trying hard, we stray. Individual Moderators are consistent, but you might get hit by a Moderator you were not expecting, and thus is better to always reread (in cold blood) posts before hitting submit.

This is very inconsistent from BoLS in the past. I've seen the moderators, moderate. Recently, both on DISCUS and the lounge, the moderators are not moderating anymore. Apologizing, clearly, there's no benefit to the forum moderators (as they are breaking their own rules), the general posters (because they break the rules as well), nor even myself (because I get ripped on by other posters). It would be—what is called—appeasement, and I don't ascribe myself to that kind of behavior. Instead, I actively point out inconsistencies. Which is what I do in the rules forums, anyhow—point out inconsistent applications of the rules.
    I'm not sure I follow all of this but it comes down to you NOT being a Moderator and thus you don't get to decide who is and who isn't breaking the rules. That is their gig. It is still my opinion that you are courting another ban by this whole insulting digression. Are you doing it on purpose?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast