BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default GK Purifier List - 1850

After my last game I found that cleansing flame is stupidly good, so why not build an army around it? Here's my purifier list! Still polishing it though.

Crowe
    Gets his own rhino. Rides around and burns stuff!

Purifier Squad x10 - 327
    Psycannon x4, Halerd x1
    Rhino, Dozer Blade
    Splits into two and rides in the other two rhinos

Purifier Squad x9 - 290
    Hammer x2, Halerd x7, Master Crafted
    Rhino, Dozer Blade
    Rides in the land raider and assaults!

Purifier Squad x10 - 323
    Psycannon x2, Hammer x1, Halerd x4, master crafted
    Rhino, Dozer Blade
    Splits in two and both ride in Storm Raven, swords and cannons deep strike onto objective, rest assaults.

Storm Raven - 220
    TL Multimelta, TL Lascannon, Extra Armour.
    With how expensive psybolt is, and the need for anti-armour, this is the best. Extra armour would have won me last game, keeping mobile is key. Also, with immobilize becoming stunned on a 3+ and then dropped to shaken is really nice!

Land Raider - 265
    Multimelta
    Anti Armour dakka

Dreadnought - 135
    TL autocannon x2, Psybolt Ammo
    more dakka

Dreadnought - 140
    Assult Cannon, Heavy flamer, psybolt ammo
    Rides in the Storm Raven and assaults and dakka. Or can walk up, depending on the army.

37 models
    1850 points
    13 warp dice with everything on the board.

I deploy the raider, 3 rhinos, and at least one dread. Move up an lots of heavy fire power. Then assault from the land and then from the sky while firing off cleansing flame whenever I get in range!

Thoughts?

Now, i am not 100% sure on the firepoint and combat squad rules, but 4x psycannons in a squad that gets into rhino seems a bit much, given your main purpose is to go around blasting cleansing flame. Rhino has only 1 firepoint where 2 models can shoot, so is there 2 extra that sit idly as long as the rhino is alive and well?

Also, i've understood (not sure when and where tho) that combat squads can only board together their dedicated transport making it impossible for both halves to board it - this is something i need to check myself.

Only 2 multimeltas on the army means that you will potentially struggle alot if enemy brings land raiders or other similar(ish) high armor value targets on the table (this happens quite often in my local meta and i've lost games where i just couln't crack that land raider open, nor could i reach the rhinos hiding behind it..

Other than that, you've pretty much nailed the new crowe-wing. Personally i would most likely trade dreadnoughts for dreadknight with sword, teleporter and heavy incinerator to get some iniative 4 ap2 close combat attacks - and because i really like the model

Chapter-Master

Rule #1 of Grey Knights: always max out your psycannons.

Also, they're not going to be hiding in their Rhinos all game, or even most of the game. Rhinos get you forward, then you fight on foot. Rush forward T1, then jump out and Cleansing Flame T2 and start shooting things with Psycannons and Storm Bolters.

Dreadknights are massively overpriced. Dreadnoughts, on the other hand, are absolutely vital to many GK lists. Without them, you'll just get shot off the table by Eldar or DE.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    Now, i am not 100% sure on the firepoint and combat squad rules, but 4x psycannons in a squad that gets into rhino seems a bit much, given your main purpose is to go around blasting cleansing flame. Rhino has only 1 firepoint where 2 models can shoot, so is there 2 extra that sit idly as long as the rhino is alive and well?
    Hence why I put them in 2 rhinos. One group of 5 has to start out of it since it isn't their dedicated, but they can just hop in first turn. The only thing I'm not sure on if they use the Witchfire power, does that count as one of the two models that can shoot?
    Also, i've understood (not sure when and where tho) that combat squads can only board together their dedicated transport making it impossible for both halves to board it - this is something i need to check myself.
    [url]http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer-40k/7th-faq/Grey_Knights_v1.0_May14.pdf[/url]
    Page 3 Errata, Combat Squads. Says I can do it! Its sweet!
    Only 2 multimeltas on the army means that you will potentially struggle alot if enemy brings land raiders or other similar(ish) high armor value targets on the table (this happens quite often in my local meta and i've lost games where i just couln't crack that land raider open, nor could i reach the rhinos hiding behind it..
    Hammerhand hammers are str 10 AP 2. I can go knocking. Plus psycannons can pen AV14, its not reliable, but its not completely useless either.
    Other than that, you've pretty much nailed the new crowe-wing. Personally i would most likely trade dreadnoughts for dreadknight with sword, teleporter and heavy incinerator to get some iniative 4 ap2 close combat attacks - and because i really like the model
    I might do that in the future, but right now I don't have that model. Its a nice thought though!

-----Edit-------

Now that I think about it, it might be better to just have 2 units of 5 and 2 psycannons, each with their own rhino. They could start in the tank and the only downfall is another VP in purge the alien. Yeah, I think I'll do that.

Should I put psycannons in the units that are charging into assault? Or add incinerators? Or should I just keep them as is since I don't want to miss an assault because I killed too much shooting them.
    Last edited by Halollet; 07-29-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Chapter-Master

I always max out psycannons. Even if you occasionally choose not to shoot to get the charge, it'll be well worth it for the times you absolutely need to try and kill something at range. PAGK are shooty units that just happen to be good in assault.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Okay, so adding some polish I get this!

Crowe
    Gets his own rhino. Rides around and burns stuff!

Purifier Squad x5 - 185
    Psycannon x2
    Rhino, Dozer Blade
    Mobile dakka and objective grabbers

Purifier Squad x5 - 185
    Psycannon x2
    Rhino, Dozer Blade
    Mobile dakka and objective grabbers

Purifier Squad x9 - 297
    Pyscannon x2, Hammer x2, Halerd x3
    Rhino, Dozer Blade
    Rides in the land raider and assaults!

Purifier Squad x10 - 273
    Psycannon x2, Hammer x1, Halerd x4
    Splits in two and both ride in Storm Raven, swords and cannons deep strike onto objective, rest assaults.

Storm Raven - 220
    TL Multimelta, TL Lascannon, Extra Armour.
    With how expensive psybolt is, and the need for anti-armour, this is the best. Extra armour would have won me last game, keeping mobile is key. Also, with immobilize becoming stunned on a 3+ and then dropped to shaken is really nice!

Land Raider - 265
    Multimelta
    Anti Armour dakka

Dreadnought - 135
    TL autocannon x2, Psybolt Ammo
    more dakka

Dreadnought - 140
    Assult Cannon, Heavy flamer, psybolt ammo
    Rides in the Storm Raven and assaults and dakka. Or can walk up, depending on the army.

37 models
    1850 points
    13 warp dice with everything on the board.

Got more psycannon! Got 8 now! 9 if you count the assault dreadnought.

Chapter-Master

Looks pretty solid to me. Maybe upgrade Crowe's Rhino to a Razorback if you can, for the extra couple of str 6 shots.