BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default FOC rules conflict.

Here's an interesting question.

Death Company. Cannot take more than 1 Death Company unit, unless you have astorath.

Unbound, take anything.

Well...
    hmmmmm... Does codex trump the Unbound rule here? Because the limit to number of units usually is the FOC not a codex rule.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Here's an interesting question.

Death Company. Cannot take more than 1 Death Company unit, unless you have astorath.

Unbound, take anything.

Well...
    hmmmmm... Does codex trump the Unbound rule here? Because the limit to number of units usually is the FOC not a codex rule.
    Codex always trumps the main book, unless a Faq/Errata say otherwise.

Chapter-Master

Not necessarily. The codex rule and rulebook rule need to actually directly conflict with each other.

The DC rule is a legacy rule that is 2 Editions old (5th). It was designed to prevent you from having multiple DC units in a Standard FOC (because that was the only thing that existed when the rule was created). There were no allies. There were no double FOCs. In 6th, even with the both of those options, you couldn't ally with yourself.

Unbound explicitly removes all FOC restrictions. The DC restriction, to me is for a standard FOC list. The 0-1 option is for an army that is using the standard FOC. You can only take up one slot in the FOC. There is no FOC anymore with Unbound. You just take units.

Unbound is akin to what Apocalypse was. The FOC limitations were removed in Apocalypse in 5th Edition. I don't know anyone that followed the 0-1 option anymore during Apocalypse.

We can argue this from another point of view:
    Honor Guards (command squads, or servitors, etc.)
    You can only take them if you take the required HQ choice. Does Unbound ignore this restriction? The DC rule and the Honor Guard rule are essentially the same exact rule. If one were to tell me you can't just take Honor Guards in Unbound, then I would agree you can't take unlimited DC.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 07-30-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Unit restrictions can be a bit vague in 7th ed when you involve unbound. Personally feel that one should still abide by unit restrictions e.g. only being able to field a Death Company Dreadnought for every 5 death company models in the army even though I'm more inclined to believe that Unbound would let you have as many Death Company Dreads as you want without taking any normal Death Company.

Would be nice to see an FAQ update clarify this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Unbound explicitly removes all FOC restrictions. The DC restriction, to me is for a standard FOC list. The 0-1 option is for an army that is using the standard FOC. You can only take up one slot in the FOC. There is no FOC anymore with Unbound. You just take units.
    Actually, Unbound doesn't really say that. It says, "simply use whichever units from your collection you want."

I know there doesn't seem to be any difference, but removing FOC restrictions does not remove UNIT restrictions. However, the way it is written actually allows you to ignore pesky things like unit restrictions, with Uniques being an exception.

When I first started writing this response and looking it up, I was actually intending to disprove you, but it turns out, I'm actually agreeing with you, just not quite for the same reasons.

Unbound is literally "use whatever models you like, regardless of normal restrictions".
    If you want to play a list with 10 deathleapers, you can, even though he is unique.

Ordinary restrictions on how many of each model you can take simply do not apply, only minimum - maximum unit sizes and what upgrades you are allowed to take for the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Theik View Post
    Unbound is literally "use whatever models you like, regardless of normal restrictions".
    If you want to play a list with 10 deathleapers, you can, even though he is unique.

Ordinary restrictions on how many of each model you can take simply do not apply, only minimum - maximum unit sizes and what upgrades you are allowed to take for the unit.
    That's my understanding of it. But to be fair, haven't actually read the rules (or indeed lack thereof as the case may prove) for it!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

So... I thought you still had to follow 'unit restrictions' but... Does that mean I can 'just' take my special weapons squad rather than an entire IG platoon which they are normally part of?

As to the Death Company stuff, in the FAQ it does say to ignore the FOC references and instead refer to the Rule book about selecting your army, not a direct quote btw.
    Last edited by John Bower; 07-31-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Indeedy. Least ways as far as I understand it.

Want 500 individual Orky Warbikes? Go for it.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Theik View Post

The "regardless of normal restrictions" isn't in there. Nor is there anything saying you ignore Uniques, exactly.

Either way, Death Company are not Unique, so not even in consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    So... I thought you still had to follow 'unit restrictions' but... Does that mean I can 'just' take my special weapons squad rather than an entire IG platoon which they are normally part of?
    According to the bold part of the rule, which I quoted in italics above, I guess so.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    As to the Death Company stuff, in the FAQ it does say to ignore the FOC references and instead refer to the Rule book about selecting your army, not a direct quote btw.
    No, it doesn't, at least, not for 7th. The only place it says that is the FOC and using it in standard missions is ignored, which is right before the Army List. There are no changes made to the Death Company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast